300 baud modem from 1964

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

300 baud modem from 1964

Post by trufun202 »

Now this is old school.

http://hackaday.com/2009/05/27/1964-300 ... s-the-web/

My first modem was 2400 baud, which wasn't fast enough to play Doom, so I had to upgrade to 9600!
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: 300 baud modem from 1964

Post by dandymcgee »

Wow.. I can't believe anyone ever used that hardware seriously. It'd be loads of fun to play with, but trying to accomplish any real task... mind boggling. Anyone who has been alive the past 50 years has seen the most remarkable technology changes known to man. It won't be long before my computer looks like a silly toy as well. :mrgreen:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

trufun202 wrote:Now this is old school.

My first modem was 2400 baud, which wasn't fast enough to play Doom, so I had to upgrade to 9600!
I remember "baud" modems! And monochrome -> CGA -> EGA -> VGA -> SVGA, and BBS's, and 5 1/4" disks, and "A:" and "B:" (that's right, two disk drives -- you're lucky to have 1 nowadays), the popularization of the CD (gogo Myst)... I grew up with computers in the house; anyone else here ~22 years old remember this stuff? :P
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

MarauderIIC wrote:
trufun202 wrote:Now this is old school.

I remember "baud" modems! And monochrome -> CGA -> EGA -> VGA -> SVGA, and BBS's, and 5 1/4" disks, and "A:" and "B:" (that's right, two disk drives -- you're lucky to have 1 nowadays), the popularization of the CD (gogo Myst)... I grew up with computers in the house; anyone else here ~22 years old remember this stuff? :P
Hell yeah. My first computer was an 8086 with a CGA monitor, 64k RAM, and a 20 MB harddrive. :shock: On start-up, you could also press CTRL ALT + to enable TURBO MODE. What the hell that did, I have no clue...

I had Megaman for it too, which ran like ass, but it was different than the NES version. It only had 3 bosses: Sonicman (heh), Voltman, and Dynaman.

EDIT: Holy shit, I found a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDZ3hzwfAic

Gotta love the 4 colors. ;) And it didn't run anywhere near this fast on my computer.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

Darn, i'm 17, so the earliest computer i'm aware of in our house was either a 286/386 (pretty sure it was 386) with MS-DOS 6 and windows 3.1 (I still have all the disks), and even then I was about 3!

that modem is a living example of how fast technology has advanced in the recent past, it's absolutely mind-blowing.

EDIT: this is apparently the first video game I ever played, I remember the name "fury of the furries", but I can't really remember playing it that much (I can remember that I played it, but not the actual gameplay), but my dad said I took to it like a pro :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF_bSbA1hUw
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

programmerinprogress wrote: EDIT: this is apparently the first video game I ever played, I remember the name "fury of the furries", but I can't really remember playing it that much (I can remember that I played it, but not the actual gameplay), but my dad said I took to it like a pro :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF_bSbA1hUw
That looks really fun. :P

Jazz Jack Rabbit is the first game I remember playing, and I'm 17 as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIehvRIxKXw

Remind you of anything? It looks stunningly similar to Sonic The Hedgehog which is probably why I've always loved Sonic so much.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: N/A
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Playstation/2/3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Kros »

MarauderIIC wrote:I remember "baud" modems! And monochrome -> CGA -> EGA -> VGA -> SVGA, and BBS's, and 5 1/4" disks, and "A:" and "B:" (that's right, two disk drives -- you're lucky to have 1 nowadays), the popularization of the CD (gogo Myst)... I grew up with computers in the house; anyone else here ~22 years old remember this stuff? :P
19, and I remember a few of those. 5 1/4", the true floppy. :)
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

dandymcgee wrote:
programmerinprogress wrote: Jazz Jack Rabbit is the first game I remember playing, and I'm 17 as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIehvRIxKXw
Remind you of anything? It looks stunningly similar to Sonic The Hedgehog which is probably why I've always loved Sonic so much.
Everything about that game says the 90's, and that's only a good thing, never tried it myself, but you can't beat a good DOS game playing on actual DOS, and not some cheap emulation...
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

trufun202 wrote:Hell yeah. My first computer was an 8086 with a CGA monitor, 64k RAM, and a 20 MB harddrive. :shock: On start-up, you could also press CTRL ALT + to enable TURBO MODE. What the hell that did, I have no clue...
We had a computer at one point that had an external switch for turbo mode that actually sped up the computer. It made some of the older games (relative to that time period) playable.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Spikey
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Spikey »

I always thought the "Turbo" button was mislabeled, it's more like the "Slow-down" button, as the turbo was on by default or usually always on... But I suppose Turbo was initially an external switch so that would make sense.

My parents bought our first computer in 1990 or '91. Some kind of Packard Bell, I thought it was pretty mind blowing. 16 bit, Windows 3.1, could handle 640x480 and 256 colors, had both floppy drives, I'd play Wolfenstein, Bard's Tale, Duke Nukem, and many others. Too bad we still don't have it :( It didn't have a sound card though... but that's ok, those motherboard pc speakers were still used a alot at the time. I have no idea if it had a modem or not. Wasn't until around 1999 that we got our first modem, and it was a 56K dialup that connected at 24K or so....

Lately, for the past week I have been researching computer history, mostly 70's and 80's. Reading about the Altair 8800, Wozniak and Apple. Gates and Microsoft. etc... I feel very lucky to be alive in these times, PC's have been around for like only 30 years, many the great contributors are still alive and are still in business or just retired, I feel privileged to be part of the next 30 years or whatever. :worship:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

My very first computer was a Pentium 386 running Windows 3.1. It was about as big as two of today's largest computers combined, and I played Wolfenstein 3D, and some oooold ass D&D on it. I couldn't dream of playing Doom 95 until my second computer--a 486 laptop!

I remember when I was a kid, my dad and I played Doom 95 multiplayer with my 486 laptop and his Pentium I. Our LAN used a gigantic ass printer cable, and was so fucking slow that it took a considerable amount of time to transfer Doom to another computer to install.

This is a very awesome video. I want one of those.
sparda
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by sparda »

I might be 22 years old, but I have no ideas what you guys are babbling about! My first computer was a Pentium 2, running windows 95 (I was ~15). Specifically, it was some Compaq(tm) abomination of a computer that I still re-experience in my most dreadfully horrifying nightmares. Before that I basically only owned consoles, so I do somewhat envy you "baud" wielding dinosaurs (I'm looking at you Trufun/Mar).

By the way, awesome vid Trufun. I'll be visiting hackaday.com regularly from now on :)
ebastancy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by ebastancy »

How do I block high frequency broadband signals from my modem? My modem with my broadband internet emits a very high frequency which is very disturbing to my girlfriend who is sensitive to high frequencies since she suffered a brain injury several years ago.
Last edited by ebastancy on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Grizzle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: 2d side scrolling shooter.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: The SNES rules all!!! Super Aleste baby!
Programming Language of Choice: Python

Post by Big Grizzle »

The first computer in our house was one of these bad boys!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum

My very own first computer was one of these however!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_464

Yes I know. I am old!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci
http://caveofgrizzle.blogspot.com/