Evolution is a blind watchmaker

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Evolution is a blind watchmaker

Post by Marx Chaotix »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcAq9bmCeR0

This creator of this video has deconstructed the popular "Watchmaker" argument in this video. He has simulated watches as living organisms and made an evolution program simulation to prove the plausibility of evolution. I think it is a good watch and amazing watching the watches taking their evolutionary stages and transformations. Responses anyone?

Also I like that song. Can someone tell me the name of it?
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Evolution is a blind watchmaker

Post by ismetteren »

I have seen that, its pretty nice :D

He has also made a video where the organisems are black/white pictures, i made a program like that for a school project :D
Image ImageImage Image
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Marx Chaotix wrote:Also I like that song. Can someone tell me the name of it?
Clocks by Coldplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbI1FpLd4Vk

Quite appropriate for his video actually.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

Thanks! DandyMcgee! *goes to download*
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

i am sorry, but this is one of the poorest attempts of doing anything i have ever seen.
has anyone actually looked at the source. i find it insulting that this person believes he can prove evolution in a mere 100 or so lines of his own code, based on god knows what. (i didnt see any genetic algorithms to the extent of whats available today)

its an interesting video, but about as factual as al gore.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

avansc wrote:i am sorry, but this is one of the poorest attempts of doing anything i have ever seen.
has anyone actually looked at the source.
What the heck did he write it in.. they were .m files (I didn't open them).
avansc wrote:its an interesting video, but about as factual as al gore.
:lol:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I think .m is matlab filetype.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

avansc wrote:its an interesting video, but about as factual as al gore.
Well Al Gore is a fact (I mean he exists and all). So.. you mean you believe this video entirely? oh.. cool! :)
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

JS Lemming wrote:I think .m is matlab filetype.
I thought that, too, but I guess it could also be managed C.
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

avansc wrote:...based on god knows what...
Well.. He did have all the basic notions of evolutions in his code -
He had a kind of a genome that contained a fixed number of elements, with varying attributes and varying connections between them. Evolution was produced by mating between 2 random "better" clock (think of it as a group of 3 tigers in the wild.. 1 woman 2 men, the woman will mate with the one who has the best chance to survive), they produced a mutated offspring. The survival (and therefor the mating) was decided by the world (think of it as the tiger mating with the one that has the best chance to catch pray).

The clocks didn't have a set "GOAL", rather, they wanted to mate with the ones that will survive better, out of a random pool.

So.. based on evolution principles i would say.

What we was trying was not to prove evolution all together, but to disprove the claim (many anti-evolutionists have) that even a clock is a system too complex to be created by evolution.. And he proved, using the basic concepts of evolution, that a clock CAN be evolved out of the parts making it, without a final goal.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

kostiak2 wrote:
avansc wrote:...based on god knows what...
Well.. He did have all the basic notions of evolutions in his code -
He had a kind of a genome that contained a fixed number of elements, with varying attributes and varying connections between them. Evolution was produced by mating between 2 random "better" clock (think of it as a group of 3 tigers in the wild.. 1 woman 2 men, the woman will mate with the one who has the best chance to survive), they produced a mutated offspring. The survival (and therefor the mating) was decided by the world (think of it as the tiger mating with the one that has the best chance to catch pray).

The clocks didn't have a set "GOAL", rather, they wanted to mate with the ones that will survive better, out of a random pool.

So.. based on evolution principles i would say.

What we was trying was not to prove evolution all together, but to disprove the claim (many anti-evolutionists have) that even a clock is a system too complex to be created by evolution.. And he proved, using the basic concepts of evolution, that a clock CAN be evolved out of the parts making it, without a final goal.
he proved no such thing. he made a program that can... do you think the first time he ran it it work like clock wotk. no pun intended, no, he made changed till it worked like he wanted it to.

Genetic Programming: On the Programming of Computers by Means of Natural Selection (Complex Adaptive Systems) is one of the best sources of genetic programming but yet does not claim any ludicris statements like this.

unfortuanatly there is no way to prove ID is not true, and no way to prove that Evolution is not true.

and by the way, you cant prove something is not true by using a teory thats not been proven.

also you seem to be a little shit with your al gore statements. i know you knew that i was refering to his agendas. so please dont be a fucking wise guy.

OH and please point out the code that is based on biology. an one simple mating mutation does not constitute all of evolution
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

Sorry If I insulted you.

About what you said - he addresses 90% of your counter arguments in the beggining of the video, so i'll just shot up.

Other than that you claim he cheated ("rigged" it till it worked right) well i can't argue here either, I don't know.. maybe he did, maybe he didn't (I just assumed, for the sake of argument that he didn't cheat)

About the al gore thing, I was joking! did I forget my <sarcasm> tags again?
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Even if it was real -- how did he determine which ones survived better? Which ones are "stronger"? More accurate to Earth seconds/minutes/hours/days? Measures seconds/minutes/hours/days in general? Closest to measuring seconds/minutes/hours/days? That seems like a goal to me!
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
kostiak2
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by kostiak2 »

MarauderIIC wrote:Even if it was real -- how did he determine which ones survived better? Which ones are "stronger"? More accurate to Earth seconds/minutes/hours/days? Measures seconds/minutes/hours/days in general? Closest to measuring seconds/minutes/hours/days? That seems like a goal to me!
It comes down to deffinition on this one - Is it a "goal" for a single celled amoeba to survive? It's dictated by the environment, so it's not the goal of the amoeba..

ps. I'm not sure how he determined exactly which one tells time better, but I assumed (again.. for the sake of argument) he didn't cheat, and made that decision separate from any evolution code (ie. just in the code that determined who survived)
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Sure, a goal can be survival, but with survival, Other things will eat it or kill it. In an environment without the external influences of predators or natural hazards, how is survival determined? What natural hazard would kill a clock that has 12,000 hands and 4 gears?
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.