Berkeley Bionics Human Exoskeleton

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Berkeley Bionics Human Exoskeleton

Post by trufun202 »

I found this quite interesting...

-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
deryni21
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Re: Berkeley Bionics Human Exoskeleton

Post by deryni21 »

this is going to have the NWO fanatics in an uproar
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

I would have to say this isn't going anywhere based on the time frame the video stated.
There's no place like ~/
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Hmm. How much does the skeleton weigh? How does it manage to "negate the payload", exactly, I wonder? Does it say, lift up on your feet when you lift (when it's not being pushed on)? If so, what does it push against in order to lift? It seems like the user might be the most available thing to push against. Although you could spring load it, you would have to allow for the springs to be stretched again without any effort, and so that wouldn't be any good.

Why didn't I see the guy with 150 pounds running? If it negates it, running with 50 pounds doesn't tell me much, maybe he was an army dude.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

he just looks like fucking forrest gump. what a piece of shit.
berkley can suck my ramaining testicle.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
deryni21
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by deryni21 »

avansc wrote:he just looks like fucking forrest gump. what a piece of shit.
berkley can suck my ramaining testicle.
twisted testicles?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Yeah I don't really see how it helps, the guy carrying the weights on his back is all hunched over. The demo wasn't very informative. And they were bragging how quickly it could be removed, but it took the guy like 25 seconds to get it off and fold it up, more than enough time to get shot in the field if attempting to run away while wearing it.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

If you're getting shot you just dump the backpack.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
wtetzner
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: waterbear, GBA game + editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Game Boy Advance
Programming Language of Choice: OCaml

Post by wtetzner »

MarauderIIC wrote:Hmm. How much does the skeleton weigh? How does it manage to "negate the payload", exactly, I wonder? Does it say, lift up on your feet when you lift (when it's not being pushed on)? If so, what does it push against in order to lift? It seems like the user might be the most available thing to push against. Although you could spring load it, you would have to allow for the springs to be stretched again without any effort, and so that wouldn't be any good.

Why didn't I see the guy with 150 pounds running? If it negates it, running with 50 pounds doesn't tell me much, maybe he was an army dude.
I don't actually know how it works, but from what I've read about similar projects, it uses servos at the joints, and it detects your movements, so the exoskeleton moves with you. It's like having a pair of robotic legs that exactly follow your movements. So the weight on the backpack is held up by the robotic legs, the person just sort of moves along inside of it.
The novice realizes that the difference between code and data is trivial. The expert realizes that all code is data. And the true master realizes that all data is code.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I see. So it just uses the user to balance against (otherwise you'd have a full walking robot there).
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

wtetzner wrote:
MarauderIIC wrote:Hmm. How much does the skeleton weigh? How does it manage to "negate the payload", exactly, I wonder? Does it say, lift up on your feet when you lift (when it's not being pushed on)? If so, what does it push against in order to lift? It seems like the user might be the most available thing to push against. Although you could spring load it, you would have to allow for the springs to be stretched again without any effort, and so that wouldn't be any good.

I don't actually know how it works, but from what I've read about similar projects, it uses servos at the joints, and it detects your movements, so the exoskeleton moves with you. It's like having a pair of robotic legs that exactly follow your movements. So the weight on the backpack is held up by the robotic legs, the person just sort of moves along inside of it.
the army has a full exoskeleton suit in development, so you can walk with or lift heavy objects...