Static Electricity Ownz

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Static Electricity Ownz

Post by JS Lemming »

I love static electricity, I always have. I spent a lot of time building capacitors of all types, trying to make the smallest with highest capacity. I made a crank generator once but it didn't work as good as it should have (faulty material is guess). I found that a big batta ballon and a woolish duster works best for generating a tun o'static in a short time.

I just recently thought of an idea for a compressed capicitor but haven't made it yet. Do any of you guys like to tinker with static kooness?

OH, and static electricy has a very good use. You know how traditional electric motors are very heavy do to the mass amounts of copper wiring, well static motors can be made mostly by platic and light conducting metals. Perfect for space travel and such because it is a tun lighter to lift out of the Earth's gravity.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Don Pwnious
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Don Pwnious »

Do any of you guys like to tinker with static kooness?
yo yo i do, it really cool. I think the newly dried clothes work greatly.
1/8th time- 14secs
1/8th speed - 110mph
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

JS Lemming wrote:well static motors can be made mostly by platic and light conducting metals. Perfect for space travel and such....
Now just figure out why they haven't made one for cars yet (since I dunno what they use in a shuttle). I figure something about it is difficult or they'd be in cars by now.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Now just figure out why they haven't made one for cars yet (since I dunno what they use in a shuttle). I figure something about it is difficult or they'd be in cars by now.
I don't think there is such a thing as a static battery, sure a capicitor would work for a while, but it would drain faster then car batteries.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

But couldn't you use a normal battery to do something (smaller than a normal car engine) to generate static? Or would it not be possible to generate enough?
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Don Pwnious
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Don Pwnious »

I'd like to introduce you to a dead person who probably knows some stuff:
Micheal Faraday wrote:Using old bottles and lumber, he made a crude electrostatic generator and did simple experiments. He also built a weak voltaic pile with which he performed experiments in electrochemistry.
Capacitors are devices that store electric energy in the form of an electric field generated in the space between two separated, oppositely charged electrodes. Their capacity to store energy makes them essential components in many electric circuits, and that capacity can be greatly increased by inserting a solid dielectric material into the space separating the electrodes. Dielectrics are materials that are poor conductors of electricity. The nonconducting properties of ceramics are well known, and some ceramics are made into extremely effective dielectrics. Indeed, more than 90 percent of all capacitors are produced with ceramic materials serving as the dielectric.
1/8th time- 14secs
1/8th speed - 110mph
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

The thing is, we currently don't know how to chemicaly generate static like a battery. Also, with traditonal static capacitors, when the electricty is released, it all goes at once in a violent blast. We need a way to moderate that. Say your car fails to start the first time with a static type deal, then you would have to regenerate the static to try again, which currently takes moving parts. Yeah static is definatly powerful enough (remembers when I chained a bunch o'capacitors together, charged, and then accidently touched a hot wire..... ouch.)