Quantum computers

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

andrew
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Quantum computers

Post by andrew »

Quantum computing breakthrough arises from unknown molecule

I found this really interesting. You'd think that this would make every computer job obsolete when they get it going.
Chaos Clown
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Quantum computers

Post by Chaos Clown »

Wow, that is interesting. Especially the two computers communicating across solar systems. Also, if you could afford it, the games that you could run on those things would be amazing. Now I feel a strange urge to find out exactly how these things work...
¡Sí! ¡He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!
~El Pollo Diablo
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

What if you could send a certain type of information to somebody's quantum computer which would cause it's processor to turn into an atom bomb? (lol I know nothing about quantum physics)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

dandymcgee wrote:What if you could send a certain type of information to somebody's quantum computer which would cause it's processor to turn into an atom bomb?
then they would get a hell of a surprise when they hit the power button? :lol:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

dandymcgee wrote:(lol I know nothing about quantum physics)
The interesting part of quantum physics is that most (if not all, I'm no quantum physicist) of these particles come in pairs. Changing one's charge (or rotation or something? unsure) changes the other -- no matter how far apart they are. Also I didn't RTA.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

MarauderIIC wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:(lol I know nothing about quantum physics)
Changing one's charge (or rotation or something? unsure) changes the other -- no matter how far apart they are.
Does this change occur instantaneously or at the speed of light? If instantaneously, I could envision an information time machine. One computer and particle remains stationary while the other is sped away very fast. The particles acts as the information gateway. The stationary computer and particle should age more quickly than the other. See where I going with this?
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
sparda
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by sparda »

What if you could send a certain type of information to somebody's quantum computer which would cause it's processor to turn into an atom bomb? (lol I know nothing about quantum physics)
I don't know much about physics either, but I would guess that for a quantum computer, the processor would need to be made of a material that can sustain a chain reaction at the atomic level for nuclear fission or fusion; namely uranium or something alike.
Chaos Clown
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Chaos Clown »

Unfortunately, quantum != radioactive. Sorry, no tiny exploding processors for you. :(
¡Sí! ¡He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!
~El Pollo Diablo
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

JS Lemming wrote:Does this change occur instantaneously or at the speed of light?
Sorry, I don't know. I just pulled that little bit out of memory.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
mllarson
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Location: Minnesota, where "Cold as Hell" has real meaning...

Post by mllarson »

I'm a bit afraid what will happen when a cracker gets hold of a quantum computer and decides to start brute forcing financial institutions. A computer that can calculate all data at once? Scary.
"Mmmm... these paint chips are scrumptious!"
deryni21
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by deryni21 »

mllarson wrote:I'm a bit afraid what will happen when a cracker gets hold of a quantum computer and decides to start brute forcing financial institutions. A computer that can calculate all data at once? Scary.
once its possible to make quantum computers websites of these kinds will most likely change to accustom thanks to prior knowledge that will be given to them no doubt
Levio91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Levio91 »

One of my proffessors was a quantom physisist he worked at cal tech and nasa. I still dont know why he chose to become a university proffesor. But today another one of my proffessors was telling me about quantom computers he said that the longest distance of 2 computer parts connecting instantly was 15 miles bugt he says he knows that they have gone over 30 miles bfore (he also worked at cal tech) He says this will be useful for flying airplanes in battle since the piot doesnt actually die. If you use radio waves there is a delay so the person in the unmanned plane will always have a disadvantage. which is why so much funding is going into quantom science.
"Criticism is something you can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing. " - Aristotle

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
Levio91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Levio91 »

Oh and another cool thing is quantum computers don't have to operate in base 2 (no wires so that means they can function in base 3 and higher) that means that whenever these things go public we wont be dealing with 0's and 1's we will be dealing with a, b, c, and aybe even higher. My professor says that they already have computers that run fine in higher bases.
"Criticism is something you can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing. " - Aristotle

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile