Midway: 50 days until Bankruptcy

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Midway: 50 days until Bankruptcy

Post by Trask »

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/05/finis ... ankruptcy/

So this is probably a dumb question, but what does that mean in terms of their games on the market? Does that mean they file for Chapter 11 and things go on with a bump in the road or is it, what's on the shelves is the last produced and everyone is fired kind of deal?

Makes me sad, I love the MK franchise, but its definitely not a company saver and Midway hasn't really produced anything all that great in a long time. But I still feel bad, when I was younger I really wanted to work on the MK team one day. :(
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
cronjob00
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Midway: 50 days until Bankruptcy

Post by cronjob00 »

I am not sure about the bankruptcy thing although I know there stock just got delisted for not meeting the requirements.
So who knows how much longer they will stick around.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Other than Mortal Kombat, I would say that after the N64/PS1 and maaaybe early Dreamcast eras, they started a downward spiral.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

I was just surfing YouTube, and I stumbled upon yet another craptacular title in Midway's downward spiral: War Gods... And it's not fair to say it sucked because it was an early 3D fighter, because Virtua Fighter was release two years before and is still an amazing game.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

Midway was KING back in the 90s. They had a SHIT TON of great games. I mean, Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, ugh great games. As of bankruptcy they are going the way of ACCLAIM, so say bon voyage to Midway. Although, they didn't have some decent home titles lately, they had some pretty gnarly arcade games. But, arcades are a dying breed. One that I will sorely miss... :(
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Andy K. wrote:Midway was KING back in the 90s. They had a SHIT TON of great games. I mean, Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, ugh great games. As of bankruptcy they are going the way of ACCLAIM, so say bon voyage to Midway. Although, they didn't have some decent home titles lately, they had some pretty gnarly arcade games. But, arcades are a dying breed. One that I will sorely miss... :(
i hear arcades are HUGE in japan.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

avansc wrote:
Andy K. wrote:Midway was KING back in the 90s. They had a SHIT TON of great games. I mean, Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, ugh great games. As of bankruptcy they are going the way of ACCLAIM, so say bon voyage to Midway. Although, they didn't have some decent home titles lately, they had some pretty gnarly arcade games. But, arcades are a dying breed. One that I will sorely miss... :(
i hear arcades are HUGE in japan.
They are. But in America they are not.

I lived in Japan for 3 months, and I spent A LOT of time in the arcades playing some of the most mind blowing games EVER. I still have my Gundam simulator ID and keycard. That is one of the best things I've ever been apart of. When you get hit it actually hurts and jars your whole body like it really would in real life. All the data is recorded onto keycards, so I could go back there insert my key and have all my stats from before... I will own one of those one day.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

:lol: did you guys read the comments?

"If Batman can't save your company...you know you're fucked."

"If they would have being smart they could have ask Batman to create an Anti-Bankruptcy spray or something."
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

Lol... Batman?
There's no place like ~/
Aeolus
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Aeolus »

Leon.. Midway had some, no many, batman games for consoles. If your a old school gamer, like most of us here, then you would have played them.
Hyde from That 70's Show wrote:Woman are like muffins... Once you have a muffin you will do anything to have another muffin... And they know that.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

I thought DC owned Batman...
There's no place like ~/
Aeolus
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Aeolus »

Haha wow, ok... Umm not sure where to go from here leon, that remark just blew me away.

Yes DC made Batman, and they can also team up with other company's to make a video game... Back then it was DC comics, they didn't have DC games.
Hyde from That 70's Show wrote:Woman are like muffins... Once you have a muffin you will do anything to have another muffin... And they know that.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

Alright... I was confused...
Especially with MK vs DC (Midway vs DC)
There's no place like ~/
Aeolus
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Aeolus »

Its not MIDWAY VS DC.... wow...

Its Mortal Kombat (a game series made by midway) vs DC (the superheroes from DC comics...)

Midway vs DC would be like

Mortal Kombat characters + BF series + all the other midway game characters vs Superheroes from DC comics.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

Aeolus wrote:Its not MIDWAY VS DC.... wow...

Its Mortal Kombat (a game series made by midway) vs DC (the superheroes from DC comics...)

Midway vs DC would be like

Mortal Kombat characters + BF series + all the other midway game characters vs Superheroes from DC comics.
I know... :nono:
I was saying it was weird that Batman was in with Midway yet he is on the DC side of Mortal Kombat Vs DC... trust me I know about the game they talk about it a lot on the PlayStation Blog :nono:
There's no place like ~/