I poked Hydrochloric acid in chemistry...

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

I poked Hydrochloric acid in chemistry...

Post by Falco Girgis »

Today, we were going to view how the light spectra emitted from different elements are different.

First off, we had our Bunson burner. We lit that baby up, and filled several petri dishes with various elements. Then we put in a slab of Zinc to aid the chemical process. After that, we just added some acid and it'd start to sizzle nicely. We'd sorta rock it back and forth under the burner, aggitating it.

The flames would change colors depending on the element (Lithium made this AWESOME bright pink and copper made a pale green that looked like it was from Harry Potter.

That isn't the point though. The teacher told me that we shouldn't come in contact with the acid, but if we did it was no big deal and it would just sting then rinse.

So me, never touching acid, had to give it a try. I poke it. Nothing... I felt no pain, no tingling sensation--nothing. Then, towards the end of the lab, I look at my finger. My flesh has this little hole in it with the skin pulled back and red flesh exposed.

In conclusion, go on, poke acid. It is the only way to be cool :). Just don't forget that you poked it and leave it on for the whole block.

That was a hell of a lab though, awesomeness, sheer awesomeness!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Well, since I've moved this to the Science/Technology forum, I need to give you an explanation for the color emitting phenomena.

Okay, first off, by adding the acid to the compound, you're exciting the electrons. In this state, they jump to the next power level. After they move back down to their original power level, they emit energy.

--And some how that energy screws with the lighting of the flames...

Yeah, I'm a bit rusty on that part...

*flips frantically through Chem notes*
Last edited by Falco Girgis on Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Our skool SUCKS!!! A few days ago we did a lab too. Know what we did? We separated iron filiings from sand. If I had a gun I'd have shot myself right then and there. :evil: The class is called chemistry but I see day care.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Don Pwnious
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Don Pwnious »

lol yeh i would shoot myself too,

Lemmings you have principe right?

Well our teacher Mrs. Principe is uhh how should i say this *cough*racist*cough
1/8th time- 14secs
1/8th speed - 110mph
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Your chemistry sounds so gay. The other day we were measuring Alpha, Beta, and Gamma radiation. That's right, we were working with radioactive material.

I haven't had a lab yet that doesn't have something labeled one of the following:

1) Poisonous
2) Hazardous
3) Extremely Flamable
4) BioHazardous
5) Radioactive

Chemistry is so kick ass. I used to think that I just didn't have what it took in science. I'm really pwning chemistry...
Don Pwnious
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Don Pwnious »

Yeh it does sux, all the material they are teaching , i knew from 5th or 6th grade
1/8th time- 14secs
1/8th speed - 110mph
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

As electrons revert back to their ground state, they release a photon with the energy that is equivalent to the difference of the excited and ground states of the electrons. Each color of light has a different amount of energy. I forget what colors are more 'energetic' however.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Don Pwnious
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Don Pwnious »

oh i thinks it is called the "Cathode Ray Test"
1/8th time- 14secs
1/8th speed - 110mph