DragonSkin Body Armor better than Interceptor, but REJECTED?

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Hyozan
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

DragonSkin Body Armor better than Interceptor, but REJECTED?

Post by Hyozan »

As we all are quite aware of, technological advancements in reference to DOD and Military equipment account for a large portion of spending in our Nation.

This is a small, but serious issue that really hits home being that I've experienced combat. Dragon Skin body armor, as some of you may know, was developed a couple of years ago and employs the use of discs overlapping one another like 'medieval chainmail', allowing it to wrap around the body to cover a much better area of vitals on the upper torso. In tests, it withstood countless rounds from weapons soldiers and other DOD contractors would be facing down range. It even took the full blast of a fragmentation grenade without puncturing the vest itself.

However, in March of 2006, the Army issued a 'cease fire' order on Dragon Skin calling it 'ineffective' and saying that it had failed ballistic tests miserably. The problem here is, the military didn't physically test Dragon Skin till May of 2006. In fact, it was found that higher ranking officials and numerous other individuals were still utilizing the Dragon Skin body armor in VIP transportation missions, etc. The creator of the Interceptor body armor, the armor currently being employed down range, stated in an interview that Dragon Skin was a better choice of armor. He also said that if he had to leave and go to war today, he would choose Dragon skin over the IBA.

NBC conducted an investigation on this controversial matter, and you can view the 5 min. video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6z7DTn-M7k.

I bring this to light here because as I've said: I've been there, and done that. I believe that our country doesn't quite value the life of a soldier enough, and found Dragon Skin to be to expensive for use in combat situations. In lamens, I think this is bullshit. It's shady dealings like this that leave me questioning, at times, what exactly I am fighting for. I simply have to remind myself that it's for my family, and your families. The same reason every soldier fights. But let me be a little less than articulate here and say, "Fuck you, Military Officials. You come draw fire in a contact situation, and maybe you'll rethink your choice of our body armor."

If any of you care about this, I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks for reading.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: DragonSkin Body Armor better than Interceptor, but REJECTED?

Post by Falco Girgis »

Actually, that is bullshit. I work as a DoD contractor, and that's the kind of stuff that we do (automated tests for things like apache helicoptors, armors, Bradley fighting vehicles, etc.)

Not only is that bullshit for you guys who are risking your lives, but that's the kind of thing that engineers in my division get paid to develop. You're risking your lives, and we are losing funding...

edit: I meant "that is bullshit" as in I agree. :)
dejai
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by dejai »

Good on you for serving your country but I strongly stand by the stance of not killing any other human. Except if they wish to die or abortion neither of which I care about. I am angry at the army for canceling that project as well. How can you put a value on a life?
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

dejai wrote:Good on you for serving your country but I strongly stand by the stance of not killing any other human. Except if they wish to die or abortion neither of which I care about. I am angry at the army for canceling that project as well. How can you put a value on a life?
haha, omg thats a double standard if i have ever heard one.

you just admitted that abortion is killing another human being.
so basically you said killing is wrong unless you dont care about it.

wow.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

I think I remember hearing about this. It's complete horse shit. They put such a small price tag on their soldiers and it's just a joke. They much rather have more meat to throw at the enemy then to protect whose doing all the dangerous shit for our country. It's really sad...
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

dejai wrote:Good on you for serving your country but I strongly stand by the stance of not killing any other human. Except if they wish to die or abortion neither of which I care about. I am angry at the army for canceling that project as well. How can you put a value on a life?
i saw one of your youtube videos in particular, and it explains why you have this view.
and you say how can you put value on a life? is a baby in a mothers womb not a life? obviously you believe so from reading your post, yet you put absolutely no value on it, you dont care if that human being gets killed. you are only a humanitarian when it fits you. and thats sad. and i really am sorry for you.

this is not an attack, im merely pointing out the hypocrisy .
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Our Government does everyday...

The price of a life, is apparently like $8.1 Million.