Campus Incident on October 29, 2008

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Campus Incident on October 29, 2008

Post by MarauderIIC »

This was in my inbox. I go to the University of Kentucky (UK). Get it here before it hits the national news! But seriously, who the hell would do such a thing? Why bother?

...Stupid immature racist jackasses.
from President Lee T. Todd, Jr. <President.uk@...>
reply-to "President Lee T. Todd, Jr." <President.uk@...>
to ALL-CAMPUS@...
date Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:14 PM
subject Campus Incident on October 29, 2008
mailed-by lsv.uky.edu

12:14 PM (6 hours ago)

Unfortunately, this morning an effigy of Senator Barack Obama was discovered hanging in a tree on campus. I am personally offended and deeply embarrassed by this disgusting episode. This is not reasonable political expression; it is just malicious. And it is unacceptable.

On behalf of the University of Kentucky I apologize to Senator Obama and his family. I will personally assure them that this is not who we are as a University or as a state.

As President of the University of Kentucky, I feel outraged and hurt. I am outraged because we work very hard, every day, to build bridges across the divides. Diversity and inclusion are among our most precious core values. Episodes like this serve only to erode our confidence in and respect for one another.

Regardless of your political opinions or the candidates you support, a University such as ours must be a place where spirited discussion can take place, but within the bounds of civility, common sense, and respect for the views and feelings of others. We have insisted - and we will continue to insist - that we as a University and as a state rise above hatred and acts of malice or ignorance. The line separating civil discourse from unacceptable behavior has been crossed, constituting a clear violation of the University's code of ethics, and possibly constituting criminal acts, which would also violate University regulations. Such acts will not be tolerated. Those found responsible will be subject to the full force of university, state, and federal rules and regulations.

There is an on-going investigation into this incident, which includes federal authorities. If you have any information that would assist in this investigation you have a responsibility to contact the UK Police Department (257-1616).
Campus Forum to Discuss Effigy Incident
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
from Provost Kumble Subbaswamy <provost.uk@...>
reply-to Provost Kumble Subbaswamy <provost.uk@...>
to ALL-CAMPUS@...
date Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 4:02 PM
subject Campus Forum to Discuss Effigy Incident
mailed-by lsv.uky.edu

The UK Interfaith Dialog Organization and the Martin Luther King, Jr. Cultural Center will jointly sponsor a Campus Forum tonight at 7:00 p.m. in Memorial Hall to address issues and concerns that have arisen because of the effigy incident this morning. Student, community and university leaders will be on hand to underscore UK's core values of diversity and inclusion, and to reiterate the community's commitment to civil discourse and mutual respect under all circumstances, and in the face of political disagreement in particular. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend.

Program participants will include Mehmet Saracoglu, President UK Interfaith Dialog Organization; Mayor Jim Newberry; President Lee Todd; Tyler Montell, President, UK Student Government; Reverend Peoples from Historic Pleasant Green Missionary Baptist Church and others.

(Free parking will be available in the Limestone Parking Garage next to Kennedy Book Store - entrances are on Limestone and Upper streets.)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
cronjob00
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Campus Incident on October 29, 2008

Post by cronjob00 »

Stuff like this allways amazes me on how stupid people can really be.
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

I can't believe the ignorance of some people. I hope they find those responsible.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

They are going to have hell to pay. That's going to be something huuuuge for them.
Orgodemirk
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Orgodemirk »

Damn the ignorance in the southern states.

We're having a mock election at school on the third, and all but four people I've talked to are voting for McCain.
A glitch?
ultimatedragoon69
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Pangea's quest (text ~tile~ based rpg)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, PC, playstation 1, Virtual Boy, Snes
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by ultimatedragoon69 »

honestly i don't know anyone that is voting for Mcain, i myself am not voting at all but that is only a personal choice. I can't believe things like this still happen just makes me sick.
MakazeGamer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by MakazeGamer »

This just shows that with out a doubt that if Obama is elected, he will most likely be assassinated. And God forbid it be a white guy who did it, would spark what i believe to be the next civil war
Kleithap
ES Web Developer
ES Web Developer

Post by Kleithap »

MakazeGmaer wrote:This just shows that with out a doubt that if Obama is elected, he will most likely be assassinated. And God forbid it be a white guy who did it, would spark what i believe to be the next civil war
I dunno, I think by electing Obama the U.S.A. will show both the world and it's own citizens that it's changing. I mean, I doubted he would make it past the primaries, and look where we are now!

Of course, IF he's elected he's gonna have his work cut out for him.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

ultimatedragoon69 wrote:honestly i don't know anyone that is voting for Mcain, i myself am not voting at all but that is only a personal choice. I can't believe things like this still happen just makes me sick.
Not voting is a waste. At least vote independent so that independent parties get more money which might eventually end the two-party system, giving you more choices in the future.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

in the UK, we have three major parties:

-Labour (currently in power)
-Conservative (really wants to be in power)
-Liberal Democrat (has never been in power)

Although a system with more than two parties is a nice thought, usually it boils down to two opposing sides, however, people do vote lib dem sometimes, so I guess more than two parties in the race does make an impact.

They say that the next president is going to influence the entire world, with their foreign policy, and their economic policy, which is true, therefore i'm watching the polls on the various news networks (except fox lol) to see the result.

I think the democrats have a strong position... lets just hope race isn't an issue like some people are predicting.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Orgodemir-k wrote:We're having a mock election at school on the third, and all but four people I've talked to are voting for McCain.
We had one yesterday, Obama won over McCain ~900 to ~300.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

dandymcgee wrote:
Orgodemir-k wrote:We're having a mock election at school on the third, and all but four people I've talked to are voting for McCain.
We had one yesterday, Obama won over McCain ~900 to ~300.
If you reversed the two, that's about how Alabama would vote.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Campus Incident Update
from President Lee T. Todd, Jr. <President.uk@...>
reply-to "President Lee T. Todd, Jr." <President.uk@...>
to ALL-CAMPUS@...
date Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:47 PM
subject Campus Incident Update
mailed-by ...

New developments have occurred in the unfortunate effigy incident on the UK campus Wednesday. Two men have been arrested in the case, one has been identified as a UK student and the other is not affiliated with the university. I want to commend our UK Police Department for its professional and expedient action in this case. The criminal case is now in the hands of the Fayette County Attorney and the Fayette Court system and any further details related to the case will be release through the County Attorney's Office.

In addition to the criminal charges, the UK student is subject to disciplinary action as defined in the UK Student Code and Governing Regulations of the University.

The university has a code of student conduct that establishes behavioral expectations for students. An initial determination of responsibility for a violation of the code and an appropriate sanction is made by the Dean of Students Office. In this process, all students' records including any disciplinary records are confidential in accordance with university regulations, and state and federal law. So this is not a process in which we will be able to share any additional information.

As outrageous and offensive an act as the effigy was, I truly believe it has mobilized our campus, the community and the state in an effort to battle racism and hate and seek the better angels of our nature. Clearly, we have much work to do in educating each other about tolerance and mutual respect.

I have been extremely moved by the outpouring of concern generated by this incident. I want to thank the many students, alumni, faculty, staff and concerned citizens who have contacted us since the incident. I also want to thank the nearly 700 participants in Wednesday night's campus forum. This truly gave our campus and our city leaders an opportunity to share their feelings and to unify our efforts to encourage diversity and respect for each other.

We cannot forget yesterday's unseemly incident. Rather, we must use that event to help us build a more welcoming University and a stronger and more inclusive community.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

That's right, mess with the possible future leader of your country, real smart. People will do anything for attention these days.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
sparda
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by sparda »

Falco, you need to get the fuck out of Alabama! If you like open, farm-like, swastika-loving, red-nish places, there are better, not so pro-McCain places. Although I cannot (at the top of the mind), think of any, there must be, no?