Simulating the Big Bang

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Simulating the Big Bang

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I'm wondering if it's possible at all to "make" a miniaturized big bang. I'm not talking about a computer simulator or anything, but I mean actually make a miniaturized one. Perhaps we could make a large house sized room take all matter out of it and put in all the proper elements to generate one within the massive room and witness it. Just some crazy thought that came to my mind. I know it's probably all to impossible but I guess it would be cool to see it in science fiction or something. :lol:

Sorry for misspelling "simulating" in the title.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Re: Similating the Big Bang

Post by cypher1554R »

Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: Similating the Big Bang

Post by Marx Chaotix »

DAMN! :( I should have read your topic first. It's almost just like mine!
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Simulating the Big Bang

Post by eatcomics »

I myself was watching a show on discovery... last weekend I think? anyways they were talking about the end of the world and one possible cause was the big bang creator they are working on, something about creating black holes that will eat everything. I thought it was pretty interesting 8-)
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Marx Chaotix wrote:I'm wondering if it's possible at all to "make" a miniaturized big bang. I'm not talking about a computer simulator or anything, but I mean actually make a miniaturized one. Perhaps we could make a large house sized room take all matter out of it and put in all the proper elements to generate one within the massive room and witness it. Just some crazy thought that came to my mind. I know it's probably all to impossible but I guess it would be cool to see it in science fiction or something. :lol:

The phrase "miniaturized big bang" somehow seems a bit contradictory to me... but who I am to think such crazy thoughts?
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

Trask wrote:
Marx Chaotix wrote:I'm wondering if it's possible at all to "make" a miniaturized big bang. I'm not talking about a computer simulator or anything, but I mean actually make a miniaturized one. Perhaps we could make a large house sized room take all matter out of it and put in all the proper elements to generate one within the massive room and witness it. Just some crazy thought that came to my mind. I know it's probably all to impossible but I guess it would be cool to see it in science fiction or something. :lol:

The phrase "miniaturized big bang" somehow seems a bit contradictory to me... but who I am to think such crazy thoughts?
There is no such thing as miniaturized big bang.. The big bang itself is something that happens on nuclear level.. Not some kind of bomb explosion.. :]
Meskito
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: 100-in-1 search engine homepage
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES! PS3, Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C++, HTML, CSS, JS

Post by Meskito »

There is no such thing as miniaturized big bang.. The big bang itself is something that happens on nuclear level.. Not some kind of bomb explosion.. :]
That is not entirely true. Before and very soon after the Big Bang, there was no such thing as an atom, or nuclear force (strong or weak). It is believed that at such extreme energy, all of the forces were equally strong and can be expressed with the same equation (which is still being looked for in Grand Unification Theory). It did not happen on a nuclear level at all. However, you were right that it was not similar to a bomb's explosion.

By the way, miniaturized versions of the Big Bang DO exist, they're called singularities, and they're found at the center of black holes. Inside of a singularity, the density is infinite, and so it is thought to be infinitely hot, just like the pre-Big Bang singularity.

This is taken from Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time:
"At the big bang itself the universe is thought to have had zero size, and so to have been infinitely hot. But as the
universe expanded, the temperature of the radiation decreased. One second after the big bang, it would have fallen
to about ten thousand million degrees. This is about a thousand times the temperature at the center of the sun, but
temperatures as high as this are reached in H-bomb explosions. At this time the universe would have contained
mostly photons, electrons, and neutrinos (extremely light particles that are affected only by the weak force and
gravity) and their antiparticles, together with some protons and neutrons."

We will understand much more with a working theory of quantum gravity. I think we'll see that theory in our lifetimes.
document.write(signature);
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

Meskito wrote:
That is not entirely true. Before and very soon after the Big Bang, there was no such thing as an atom, or nuclear force (strong or weak). It is believed that at such extreme energy, all of the forces were equally strong and can be expressed with the same equation (which is still being looked for in Grand Unification Theory). It did not happen on a nuclear level at all. However, you were right that it was not similar to a bomb's explosion.

By the way, miniaturized versions of the Big Bang DO exist, they're called singularities, and they're found at the center of black holes. Inside of a singularity, the density is infinite, and so it is thought to be infinitely hot, just like the pre-Big Bang singularity.

This is taken from Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time:
"At the big bang itself the universe is thought to have had zero size, and so to have been infinitely hot. But as the
universe expanded, the temperature of the radiation decreased. One second after the big bang, it would have fallen
to about ten thousand million degrees. This is about a thousand times the temperature at the center of the sun, but
temperatures as high as this are reached in H-bomb explosions. At this time the universe would have contained
mostly photons, electrons, and neutrinos (extremely light particles that are affected only by the weak force and
gravity) and their antiparticles, together with some protons and neutrons."

We will understand much more with a working theory of quantum gravity. I think we'll see that theory in our lifetimes.
No... The miniature big bangs are my farts...

LOL JK
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

davidthefat wrote: No... The miniature big bangs are my farts...

LOL JK
Did you really have to bring back a month old topic just to say that? It was already 6 months old when Meskito posted..
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

dandymcgee wrote:
davidthefat wrote: No... The miniature big bangs are my farts...

LOL JK
Did you really have to bring back a month old topic just to say that? It was already 6 months old when Meskito posted..
I just did it ;)
dejai
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by dejai »

I believe you are forgetting that the definition of matter at the beginning of time was non existent. For time is driven by events before time began there was merely no events taking place nor a reference to judge from thus when time started there was an event being the big bang itself. The explosion was so intense the laws of physics break down. I am talking about unthinkable heat. Matter was formed some seconds after the big bang. If you are hoping to simulate every particle that ever existed you would first have to know how many particles the energy from the big bang created in the first place... Something we do not know. Even then if you could work out how many particles there were you wouldn't be simulating it you would have a fixed calculation. Then you would have to decide where the particles formed and if it was uniform which it obviously was not given the layout of the universe. You would then have to track a growing number of particles in a growing number of forms as it grows exponentially. That many vector sums is not possible. You would also have to have laws governing the matter and energy and whatever else was in that mix. Physicists don't know how gravity works it just is... So how are we supposed to predict any such thing. In fact just the thought of trying to store so much data in itself is ludicrous. And again the formation of matter in forms we have not discovered would be increasingly implausible to achieve. You obviously have very little knowledge on the issue at hand. If you wanted to take the simulation from a given point in time lets say after all the particles had clumped together and then you disregard all the stuff floating about it would still be ludicrously in accurate because we have no idea of the size nor the mass of the universe.
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef

Post by Netwatcher »

dejai wrote:I believe you are forgetting that the definition of matter at the beginning of time was non existent. For time is driven by events before time began there was merely no events taking place nor a reference to judge from thus when time started there was an event being the big bang itself. The explosion was so intense the laws of physics break down. I am talking about unthinkable heat. Matter was formed some seconds after the big bang. If you are hoping to simulate every particle that ever existed you would first have to know how many particles the energy from the big bang created in the first place... Something we do not know. Even then if you could work out how many particles there were you wouldn't be simulating it you would have a fixed calculation. Then you would have to decide where the particles formed and if it was uniform which it obviously was not given the layout of the universe. You would then have to track a growing number of particles in a growing number of forms as it grows exponentially. That many vector sums is not possible. You would also have to have laws governing the matter and energy and whatever else was in that mix. Physicists don't know how gravity works it just is... So how are we supposed to predict any such thing. In fact just the thought of trying to store so much data in itself is ludicrous. And again the formation of matter in forms we have not discovered would be increasingly implausible to achieve. You obviously have very little knowledge on the issue at hand. If you wanted to take the simulation from a given point in time lets say after all the particles had clumped together and then you disregard all the stuff floating about it would still be ludicrously in accurate because we have no idea of the size nor the mass of the universe.

I don't think it broke the laws of physics, more like created them... if there was nothing then physics doesn't apply on nothing, and for physics only applies between two or more forces, and if the only force is the big bang hence physics does not apply.
So do you need a place without any forces (or with sum of 0) to simulate it?
Or am I not getting it right ? :roll:
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

I love how people debate the big bag as if it's fact.

why don't we have a mini unicorn migration simulation.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef

Post by Netwatcher »

avansc wrote:I love how people debate the big bag as if it's fact.

why don't we have a mini unicorn migration simulation.
This forum is about simulating the big bang, if ur posting here... it's obvious you take that as a fact (or at least debate as if this event is a fact)
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

doublecyrax wrote:to return a favor avan, you mom got big banged by me, stupid scriptkiddie.

you should all pray to god, he is the only originator of everything dumbasses. damn, if never seen such idiotic people.
thanks, now Christians look more crazy than they already do. you need to get one of those WWJD bracelets.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"