Neutron Star -> Black Hole Discussion/Theories

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Neutron Star -> Black Hole Discussion/Theories

Post by Falco Girgis »

One of the fields of science that has always fascinated me to no end is astronomy. If I wasn't such a dirty video game addict, and a C++ whore, I'd undoubtedly become an astro-physicist. One of the aspects of space that had always thrilled me, where the stages of the star. Not really the plasma phases, but the afterlife of a star. Please, let's discuss.

First, you have a star. It lives its life, fusing hydrogen to helium due to the extreme pressure and heat due to gravitational pressure. Later in a star's life, after the hydrogen has all been fused into helium. Nuclear fusion is the process in which two atoms of lighter elements come so close together (from the sun's massive gravitational pull) that the Nuclear force (aka 'strong force') holding an atom's nucleus together pulls the two atoms together forming a new atom with a higher atomic number.

Back to the star though--Hydrogen has all become fused to helium, a heavier element. This makes the star burn hotter and denser. Then, helium fuses into a heavier element (carbon). During this time period, a star will swell up until it becomes so vast, it either explodes or implodes (when this time comes in our sun's life, it is theororized that the sun will become so big it'll swallow the first 3 planets of our solor system).

Now that the star has fused lots and lots of different elements like so:
Imageit ends up with an ashen iron core. Iron is unusual in that it is extremely stable and resistant to fusion. The temperature of an iron core can reach 3 billion degrees. When the iron core reaches a critical mass, it collapses, violently, into a supernova explosion.

Yes, but I don't care about supernovas :D--It's scenario B I'm interested in. Here is a nice way of putting it:
astro.umd.edu wrote:the basic idea is that when the central part of the star fuses its way to iron, it can't go any farther because at low pressures iron 56 has the highest binding energy per nucleon of any element, so fusion or fission of iron 56 requires an energy input. Thus, the iron core just accumulates until it gets to about 1.4 solar masses (the "Chandrasekhar mass"), at which point the electron degeneracy pressure that had been supporting it against gravity gives up the ghost and collapses inward.
At the very high pressures involved in this collapse, it is energetically favorable to combine protons and electrons to form neutrons plus neutrinos. The neutrinos escape after scattering a bit and helping the supernova happen, and the neutrons settle down to become a neutron star, with neutron degeneracy managing to oppose gravity. Since the supernova rate is around 1 per 30 years, and because most supernovae probably make neutron stars instead of black holes, in the 10 billion year lifetime of the galaxy there have probably been 10^8 to 10^9 neutron stars formed. One other way, maybe, of forming neutron stars is to have a white dwarf accrete enough mass to push over the Chandrasekhar mass, causing a collapse.
If you didn't understand that, then basically know that with that high of pressure, protons and electrons get smashed together so tightly that they make neutrons. OMFG! T3h neutron star!

OMFG, I'm so tired now, I know this sounds stupid, but I'll finish writing this post tomorrow :D
Don Pwnious
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Don Pwnious »

I agree with you SS

If i didn't want to join the marines, Iwould probably be an astronaut.
1/8th time- 14secs
1/8th speed - 110mph
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I get all tingly inside with space too. One of these days I'm gonna start a chain of space stations for tourism, science, and refugee all around the galaxy. Poor NASA will never make it with a government suppling the penniez.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!