Do you think robots will soon replace the military?

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Do you think robots will soon replace the military?

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I've seen a couple of articles talking about new robots that will be used in the military. Here are some links.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/weapons/a/robots.htm

here is a link talking about a persons view of it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 213451.htm

I only skimmed through them.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

Yeah.. sure, It's a threat.. But I don't really see it any more dangerous than a nuclear bomb or bio-genetic experiments..

As long as people don't change, everything's gonna be the same, wrapped around in a different skin..
Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Do you think robots will soon replace the military?

Post by Pickzell »

Marx Chaotix wrote:I've seen a couple of articles talking about new robots that will be used in the military. Here are some links.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/weapons/a/robots.htm

here is a link talking about a persons view of it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 213451.htm

I only skimmed through them.

looks like ROB
I'm an altogether bad-natured Cupid.
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: N/A
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Playstation/2/3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Kros »

Marx Chaotix wrote:Do you think robots will soon replace the military?
No.
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel
zNelson24
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: School assignments.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C#, BASIC

Post by zNelson24 »

Kros wrote:
No.
Right (and sorry for rehashing an old post). AI would never be able to think like an actual human being and tell things apart. I could get shot by a robot soldier from holding a pencil, or an ice cream cone, or some ordinary everyday object that a machine would mistake for a gun.

So yea, robots are bad in that way.
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

zNelson24 wrote:
Kros wrote:
No.
Right (and sorry for rehashing an old post). AI would never be able to think like an actual human being and tell things apart. I could get shot by a robot soldier from holding a pencil, or an ice cream cone, or some ordinary everyday object that a machine would mistake for a gun.

Humans makes mistakes too. I think robots are better at some jobs, humans better at other. And btw, robots are evolving much faster than humans atm. So in the future they might completely (or nearly) replace the military.
Image ImageImage Image
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

ismetteren wrote: Humans makes mistakes too. I think robots are better at some jobs, humans better at other. And btw, robots are evolving much faster than humans atm. So in the future they might completely (or nearly) replace the military.
Or we could use them purely as a defensive strategy and stop getting into the middle of other countries' conflicts. :roll:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: N/A
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Playstation/2/3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Kros »

ismetteren wrote:
zNelson24 wrote:
Kros wrote:
No.

Humans makes mistakes too. I think robots are better at some jobs, humans better at other. And btw, robots are evolving much faster than humans atm. So in the future they might completely (or nearly) replace the military.
They're "evolving much faster than humans" because we are trying to catch them up to us. They're getting pushed along by us. They can't extend past us in that fashion.
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel
Meskito
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: 100-in-1 search engine homepage
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES! PS3, Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C++, HTML, CSS, JS

Post by Meskito »

zNelson24 wrote: AI would never be able to think like an actual human being and tell things apart. I could get shot by a robot soldier from holding a pencil, or an ice cream cone, or some ordinary everyday object that a machine would mistake for a gun.
The things you are describing here are all due to the programming errors in "weak" AI. In fact, "strong" AI would potentially even be capable of discerning a real gun from a fake plastic one that looks identical.
Kros wrote: They're "evolving much faster than humans" because we are trying to catch them up to us. They're getting pushed along by us. They can't extend past us in that fashion.
They can, theoretically. The moment in time when AI surpasses human intelligence is known as the "technological singularity". At this point, computers would be able to think "better" than we can, and therefore be capable of building an even more impressive computer.

As for the original topic...we actually have more robotic drones in Iraq than soldiers. Will robots replace the military soon? Probably not. But the human aspect of war has been slowly weened out ever since the advent of the firearm, and I believe that eventually, robots will replace the military, at least for the large part.
document.write(signature);
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Meskito wrote: ... But the human aspect of war has been slowly weened out ever since the advent of the firearm, and I believe that eventually, robots will replace the military, at least for the large part.
You know what would be crazy... if the human aspect was eliminated completely and wars became like giant games of chess between countries. We could have specific locations in every country to serve as the war grounds, a kind of battle bots extreme. Maybe war could even become an olympic sport. :lol:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

This wont happen any time soon if ever. Even if they came up with something truely capable and amazing it would never fly because the pencil pushers and buerocrats would say "IT COSTS HOW MUCH?!?! .....What if we just gave the soldiers Nerf equipment instead? How much would that cost?"

Which brings me to the idea that wars should be faught with nerf weponry on a huge obstacle course. Body armor Cover in velcro so velcro tiped nerf projectiles stick to it. Nerf grenades with spring loaded nerf sharpnel. Epic.
Meskito
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: 100-in-1 search engine homepage
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES! PS3, Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C++, HTML, CSS, JS

Post by Meskito »

dandymcgee wrote:
Meskito wrote: ... But the human aspect of war has been slowly weened out ever since the advent of the firearm, and I believe that eventually, robots will replace the military, at least for the large part.
You know what would be crazy... if the human aspect was eliminated completely and wars became like giant games of chess between countries. We could have specific locations in every country to serve as the war grounds, a kind of battle bots extreme. Maybe war could even become an olympic sport. :lol:
Here's something interesting to consider (although I doubt it will be relevant in our lifetimes, if ever)...
First part is that, with enough data and the ability to correctly analyze that data, it would be possible to tell if a nation is capable of defeating another. Second, if all countries had access to such a machine that could predict the outcome of war to close to 100% precision, then all wars could be avoided.

If you knew that your country would lose a war, you would never engage in that war, right? Potentially, wars would be reduced to cold wars, without the threat of real violence.

To take that concept a step further...what if the machine was capable of predicting the ability of a nation to stockpile weapons? In that case, even the cold war-like weapons stockpiling would be unnecessary.

Everything I've described in this post is theoretical, I don't think most of it will ever happen.
document.write(signature);
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

Meskito wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:
Here's something interesting to consider (although I doubt it will be relevant in our lifetimes, if ever)...
First part is that, with enough data and the ability to correctly analyze that data, it would be possible to tell if a nation is capable of defeating another. Second, if all countries had access to such a machine that could predict the outcome of war to close to 100% precision, then all wars could be avoided.

If you knew that your country would lose a war, you would never engage in that war, right? Potentially, wars would be reduced to cold wars, without the threat of real violence.

To take that concept a step further...what if the machine was capable of predicting the ability of a nation to stockpile weapons? In that case, even the cold war-like weapons stockpiling would be unnecessary.

Everything I've described in this post is theoretical, I don't think most of it will ever happen.
Please write the next book in the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy :D
Image ImageImage Image
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

dandymcgee wrote:
I always figure this is how it would turn out when we start using robots, it will end up robots against robots, then no progress will be made in the war except we lost a bunch of money on building pointless machines, then another country will just bomb us and we will lose...... END
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

eatcomics wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:
I always figure this is how it would turn out when we start using robots, it will end up robots against robots, then no progress will be made in the war except we lost a bunch of money on building pointless machines, then another country will just bomb us and we will lose...... END
The atom bomb of robot wars is totally a focused EMP.