The theory of parallel universe(s)

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

The theory of parallel universe(s)

Post by Falco Girgis »

I remember reading quite long ago about a theory that proved "parallel universes to be possible". It was quite some time ago but I remember it perfectly because of how far-fetched, yet possible the theory was. I was intrigued. I'd like to know what you guys think.

Here is the theory:

A helluva long time ago, when the "Big Bang" was theororized to of happened, the universe as we know it had begun its formation. Everything formed from a blob of Helium and Hydrogen which reacted to make other elements of the periodic table. On a much more major scale, the four forces which govern our universe were also created:
1) Strong Nuclear
2) Weak Nuclear
3) Electromagnetic
4) Gravitational (forces)

This the freaky part--What if another universe was formed at the time of this cosmic explosion? What if a parallel dimension or whatnot was formed with different forces governing it? Without it being affected or governed by our forces, it could litterally be a phantom world. We wouldn't exist to them, they wouldn't exist to us. Our worlds could even occupy the same space. Where you are right now, could be a huge mountain or even ocean in a parallel world.

That was the scientific part. Here is the scary/supernatural part of it. People (paranoid, psyco finatics) suggest that perhaps the people or beings fromt he parallel dimension are capable of seeing us? Maybe they could be watching your every move without you being visable to them! Ever seen the 13 Ghosts? This theory might freak you out a bit if you have.

On a more religious note, I forgot who, but some religions believe that that parallel plane is heaven. Heaven occupies the same space as earth, but in a different dimension. It has been proven (by interviews) that people with near death experiences describe a sort of tunnel. Yes, the tunnel that supposedly goes up, and when you are almost dead and want to live "don't look at the light".

People with near death experiences suggest something else, however. They say that the tunnel doesn't go up, but at a sort of angle. This could very well suggest that heaven does exist in the same space as earth, but on a different plane. When you die, you take the path for your soul/spririt to enter the other dimension.

You might be saying "bullcrap, I didn't believe one bit". The first half was scientific, second was superstitous, third was religious. I know it may conflict with many thing that you bilieve in, and I myself do not believe quite a bit of it. But this is a discussion, let ideas circulate so that we can hear different opinions. What do you believe? What is BS?

Post by Guest »

Yes, the tunnel that supposedly goes up, and when you are almost dead and want to live "don't look at the light".
I'm not sure where I heard it, but I hear that that light is fire from the alternate dimention. That would mean, somehow, our dimention can see their fire, and maybe they could see ours. We cannot see eachother's artifficial light, but light from fire and the sun, ect.

This I believe is just superstition, there is no way it could be real.

But....I also heard that because somehow we could see their fire, if you light a candle in a pitch black room, set it directly behind you, and look into a mirror, you'll see creatures/spirits/things from the other dimention.

That'd be some freaky shit, if it were true. I've never tried the candle thingy, haven't had enough time. If anyone does, tell me what you saw.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Define universe. Is the universe and all the things that make in up not moving at extremely high speeds? It would seem foolish to believe that your so called "alternate universe" would be in the exact same spot as our earth and cruising at the same velocities. Nope, I don't believe it.

About the light at the end of the tunel thing, I just recently watched a special on the history\discovery chanel about that. They said something about it being a trick from the devil. I myself don't know much about it.

I also don't believe in a random "Big Bang", unless it was orchestrated by God.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

I don't believe in the big bang.
This is a joke about unfunny jokes. And bad use of irony.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Now what you should read about is out of body experiences, where people (say they can) can go to real places and see real things, or drag others into their dreams, where they are only governed by what they think -- like a cartoon character being able to walk on air as long as he doesn't realize that he is doing so. Read something one time about a guy who had an out-of-body experience and tried to fly through a traffic signal, which made him wake up.

As for parallel universes, why not? Most of the atom is empty space as it is, so nothing says that something else can't exist there that we can't sense.

See writings of Rene Descartes for stuff like this. "I think, therefore I am" brought about because he was trying to find out what he could trust -- your eyes lie, you don't necessarily hear correctly, and all these are fooled when you dream. How does he know he is not dreaming? He does not. How does he know others exist? He does not. How does he know he exists? He does not... wait... Someone is asking these questions... "I can't prove that anyone else exists," he thinks, "And I can't even prove that what I'm doing, where I am right now, is real... But I am asking these questions... Therefore, I know that I exist." (To summarize).

And in the back of that book was some new math, like, the coordinate plane and the beginnings of modern calculus.

René Descartes - Wikipedia.

----
Ah, here's an excerpt from Wikipedia of his writing.

I have convinced myself that there is absolutely nothing in the world, no sky, no earth, no minds, no bodies. Does it follow that I too do not exist? No: if I convinced myself of something then I certainly existed. But there is a deceiver of supreme power and cunning who is deliberately and constantly deceiving me. In that case I too undoubtedly exist, if he is deceiving me ... the proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind.

In other words, my consciousness implies my existence. In one of Descartes' replies to objections to the book, he summed this up in the now-famous phrase, "I think, therefore I am" (or in Latin: cogito ergo sum).
Meditations on First Philosophy

Wow, nothing like excerpting Wikipedia to make you look like you're informed, huh? XD

Edit - Wow, while there's a connection between "atom" "space" "sense" and "Descartes," it's a loose one.
Last edited by MarauderIIC on Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

JS Lemming wrote:Define universe. Is the universe and all the things that make in up not moving at extremely high speeds? It would seem foolish to believe that your so called "alternate universe" would be in the exact same spot as our earth and cruising at the same velocities. Nope, I don't believe it.

About the light at the end of the tunel thing, I just recently watched a special on the history\discovery chanel about that. They said something about it being a trick from the devil. I myself don't know much about it.

I also don't believe in a random "Big Bang", unless it was orchestrated by God.
First off, the universe is everything. I really don't see how to define it. Everything, space, stars, neutron stars, nebulae, quazars, black holes (assuming they exist), etc.

I don't understand why you think velocity has anything to do with parallel universes existing in the same plane. Yes, it would be pretty coincidental if it was moving at the same speed, but would it not be possible? If it is with us now, does that not mean that it was with our earth/solar system when the Big Bang occured? (Again, assuming it did occur.) That means that we should both be hurtling at the same velocity.

Also, why would that matter? The parallel universe is obviously governed by other forces. Maybe it isn't empty space like ours. Maybe everything is grass? That still wouldn't make sense... The big bang didn't have that much matter to begin with, or else our universe wouldn't be so empty. Unless we got a minority, but we both still started from an explosion, so we both will be moving outward and expanding.

From the description of the "Big Bang": Huge gigantic blob of Hydrogen and Helium that formed the universe, does it not seem like that blob was governed by our four forces? Obviously gravity held it together. So how could that make another universe?

God dammit. I am so confused right now. I'm in C class, so I'm trying to understand scanf and print's inferiority compared to (cin and cout). So screw this. I'm confused as hell. Maybe this is all just BS.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Nope, I don't see why 2 or 5 or infinity diferent replicas of an object, slightly different, would be created in the same spot.
The parallel universe is obviously governed by other forces.
Are you saying there are different worlds in the same atom, if so, there would be no reason for the worlds in the same atom to have different forces governing it. One univeresal force would govern the atom itself, not the individual worlds or "parallel universes".

Thats what i think.
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

I know that I might explode if I tried to understand all this stuff, but it's in my childish nature to contribute something stupid to this conversation, so here I go.

Maybe each atom has two sides, a side that we can sense (see, hear, etc.) and a side that we can't sense, so a person might actually be be more than one thing. For example, maybe the first half of someones atoms makes a bald guy that we can see, and the other half makes a clown that we can't see. And all of the people that we can't see can see each other, but can't see us. Maybe people with multiple personalities are really in touch with their other half of atoms. :mrgreen:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

JS Lemming wrote:Nope, I don't see why 2 or 5 or infinity diferent replicas of an object, slightly different, would be created in the same spot.
The parallel universe is obviously governed by other forces.
Are you saying there are different worlds in the same atom, if so, there would be no reason for the worlds in the same atom to have different forces governing it. One univeresal force would govern the atom itself, not the individual worlds or "parallel universes".

Thats what i think.
Nobody said anything about replicas. It is probably completely 100% different in almost every way if it does exist.

About different worlds of the same atom, I agree with what you had to say. Actually, that makes lots of sense. But then why would a scientist even consider the possibility of a parallel universe?

Does the electron not orbit the nucleus? *cough*GRAVITY*cough*

-- I don't know if Wutai was trying to be funny, serious, or both, but I am laughing my ass off right now. Actually, lots of that made sense. All of it was funny.
:guffaw:
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Does the electron not orbit the nucleus? *cough*GRAVITY*cough*
So? What about it?
But then why would a scientist even consider the possibility of a parallel universe?
A scientist life can be very boring...
Last edited by JS Lemming on Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I've heard an explanation for something mathy (I forget what, now) defined as a clown salesman selling hot air balloons.

I get what Wutai is talking about, and that's sort of what we're all saying, seems like. Just parallel universe is something we can't sense -- maybe due to like, the way our atoms vibrate or something, who knows. Then travel between universes would involve, say, holding all your atoms still for a moment... or something.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Orgodemirk
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Orgodemirk »

Well if there was another universe how do we even know they would have clowns, bald guys, atoms, ect. ?

I mean it could be a square but what if that didn't exist. What if there universe had 4 dimensions! What if people were pawns in thier big chess game. What if Dreamcast was made by Nintedno!!!

This could be possible in another dimension. What if www.thechaosrift.com in another dimension had a forum and someone there was typing these exact words.

But if a parallel universe does exist would they sell Parallel Bawls at their Parallel Wall Marts? What if the internet is our connection to the parallel universe? What if Wutai is from that universe???
A glitch?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Hyper Shadow said all of this, but I'm too lazy to quote it all so let this one quote be for all of Hyper Shadow's wrote:Well if there was another universe how do we even know they would have clowns, bald guys, atoms, ect. ?
Clowns and bald guys? Uhh... As for atoms, everything is composed of atoms. I just couldn't comprehend another universe not being made of atoms. I don't know why, but EVERYTHING is just made of atoms. Trust me, everything from your Dreamcast memory card, to the deepest darkest region of liquid Hydrogen on Neptune is made of atoms.
What if Dreamcast was made by Nintedno!!!
*spits tea all over monitor* WTF! Now that was too far. I'm SURE no parallel universe would be that screwed up...
This could be possible in another dimension. What if www.thechaosrift.com in another dimension had a forum and someone there was typing these exact words.
Heh, COOL!
What if Wutai is from that universe???
Wutai... Yeah, I think he is.[/quote]
Dark Crusader
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by Dark Crusader »

You all sound like a bunch of pot heads therorising the meaning of life. Have eany of you seen the show Sliders?
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

If what I said makes sense, then I was being serious, but if it doesn't, then I was being funny. But whatever the case, I'm about to spit my coffee all over my monitor. Ha... Ha... Ha. . .

Who said I was from a different universe? Whoever said that will be found tommorow with a bloody spatula near them, and their legs severed.

Didn't expect to hear that from an eleven year old, did you?