What will video games be like in 25-50 years?

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

What will video games be like in 25-50 years?

Post by JS Lemming »

This is my vision of what video games will be like in 25 to 50 years.

The entire game world and everything in it will be made up of very small particles and extremely short invisible "springs" connecting them. These particles and springs will have certain characteristics that allow them, when combined with many more particles and springs, to behave in distinct ways. Particles that have strong springs can form solids and particles with weak springs would form liquid like substances. A small amount of force could easily break a spring connecting two particles and thus would behave like water. (A spring breaks when two masses get pulled apart, past the "breaking limit", and gravity itself would be strong enough to do that)

Say good-bye to polygons and textures... Everything is made up of particles, and each particle has simply a color value, not a texture.

Scanners could be built in real life that can scan an object and produce the appropriate construction of particles for use as game "models."

The advantage to this particle system is that programmers would no longer have to program game physics. The particles, having their own mass and changeable characteristics, will behave properly on their own. And the whole game world can be completely destructible everywhere, given enough force (to break the spring connections).

Of course such a system would require massive processing power... But I have faith in technology.

...Aight, here is where the fun begins.

No longer will video games be played on your TV and controlled by stupid input devices. Nor will you be accused of being an unproductive slob. How is this possible you ask? You will play video games... while you sleep. With the Dream Inducer 5000!

When you go to bed you stick a device on your forehead and go to sleep. At a certain time, the Dream Inducer kicks in and you are welcomed by the machine logo in a controlled dream. Think about it... The freedom! You have complete control over your body, without actually moving your limbs in real life like when you are awake... You can see like in real life, you are no longer looking at little box in your room. Imagine the possibilities! The Dream Inducer will have online functionality of course, so meeting and playing with your friends while you sleep will be the norm.

Skeptical? Well we are already half-way there (sort of). We already have the technology to read signals from our brains and control robotic arms like it were our arms (atleast for chimps that is).

I had thought of more ideas and details about the above earlier.. But I forgot them for now.

So post what you think video games will be like in 25 to 50 years.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Heart_Flame
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Heart_Flame »

^ i like the first idea better... i had a similar idea for a monitor but that is soo much better a monitor or virtual reality.... i can control my dreams pretty good...

what if that person somehow had a nightmare even if they did have control??

my idea is that we sit down, put on a headset, and begin playing the virtual reality, we can control everything w/o moving any limbs, just think it and it will do it if the game allows it. Either you will put a special vest, gloves, and boots on that will vibrate when you get hurt, or the helmet will send you signals to your brain... i still like your first idea! pwns!
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

But don't you see? Virtual reality with vests and boots? So limited! How will you walk? Run? Swim? Fly? How will you truly feel the environment. Imagine being able to feel the warm rain hitting your face in a Dream Inducer game... It's perfect. What don't you like about it?

Hmm.. Wait. Maybe I explained it wrong. The Dream Inducer doesn't just induce a random dream... It controlls the dream completely aside the human input for body control. It would work like any other console, but with perfect input and output. See what I mean?
Heart_Flame
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Heart_Flame »

make it when we get the knowledge and tech...
but for now something simple like Virtual Reality is good... till we get something like that - also with something like that you'd have to go to sleep to play your dream and you'd have addicts to sleeping with it [might cure insominia tho :D :? :( ]
knowledge is power - power corrupts - study hard
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

You're an idiot. Sleeping is AWESOMELY FANTISTICALLY COOLNESSISTICISMNESS TO THE MAX!
This is a joke about unfunny jokes. And bad use of irony.
Heart_Flame
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Heart_Flame »

dude, i never said sleeping was bad, when did i ever say sleeping was bad before this reply? i never did. i love dreams and w/e, not my fault you ppls can't control them...
Dark Crusader
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by Dark Crusader »

Why dont you just say the Holodeck from Star Trek? Just so much easyer.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Heart_Flame wrote:also with something like that you'd have to go to sleep to play your dream and you'd have addicts to sleeping with it
Whaa! That problem is already solved. You don't control when the Dream Inducer kicks in, it does. A limit of 2 to 3 hours a day might suffice.
Fox2Fox2
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Fox2Fox2 »

Nightmares can be marketed as horror/survival genres!

:)

Just one problem, someone would hack it and control the time, this is giving a utopian environment, the way you're thinking. Someone, somewhere would die a horrible death from this and, bam, there goes your market.

Also, it's bad when the warm rain turns out to be you wetting your bed from overstimulation in an intense firefight hahaha.
I HATE Jack Thompson.
Join the Red Tigers Battalion! Ventrilo - 204.11.33.45
Sarah Staples wrote:Lapis the cartoon bunny teaches how to reach orgasm...
Heart_Flame
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Heart_Flame »

awesome... I have a dream, where I fight ninjas and robots...
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by spideyspiderman2000 »

Sounds cool....

But I think it may be a bit over 50 years before we have something like that. But, then again...
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Fox2Fox2 wrote:Nightmares can be marketed as horror/survival genres!

:)

Just one problem, someone would hack it and control the time, this is giving a utopian environment, the way you're thinking. Someone, somewhere would die a horrible death from this and, bam, there goes your market.

Also, it's bad when the warm rain turns out to be you wetting your bed from overstimulation in an intense firefight hahaha.
Fine. Let one freak ruin everything. That makes since... Wait. No. Let him die, I don't care if he voided the warranty.
Dark Crusader
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by Dark Crusader »

Hey! Oh whait I am a freak. Neverminde!
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin
mofo joe
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by mofo joe »

so okay...
1.)I don't thikn it would be so comfortable sleeping with this.. 'object' on your head
2.)How is your body suppose to get efficent sleep and play a video game all night? you would have to have this here thingy coincidently on your head while you lucid dream... which is not often at all. but it is possible to somewhat train yourself
3.)therefor you would indeed be a (quote) 'an unproductive slob' (unquote) cause you won't even be able to get the possibly productive energy from sleep since you would haVE TO BE AWAKE TO PREFORM ACTOINS IN THE GAME. SO THIS IS LIKE X-CORE LAZINESS MAX!!!

BUT IT'S A NICE IDEA KEEP WORKING ON IT. excuse my caps toward the end...
Showdin
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Showdin »

Hella gamer.
You are better than me.