Melody Generator.

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Melody Generator.

Post by JS Lemming »

I thought about this for a while now. My sister is a music major and tells me things like music composistion must follow rules in order to sound good. So.. why can't we make a program that follows these rules? You could study what makes a certain melody portray a certain mood/feeling. It would probably be things related to speed and pitch changes along with a host of things I don't know about (I know squat about music). In the end a program could randomly generate a melody/composition based on rules and such. Imagine you're making a game... and you need music for one of your levels. All you gotta do is fill out some fields and the music will be generated. Don't like a particular result, push teh button again and get more results.

Anyone think its possible? Sometimes I wish I had gotten into music when I had the chance, but then I probably wouldn't have been a programmer . :mrgreen:
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
FredDibnah
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by FredDibnah »

I think it could be possible, but I don't think the songs would be that great.

But it is a very interesting concept.

Post by Guest »

Sounds like the type of thing you've just gotta screw around with. That'd be awesome, yes, but very hard work. And it'd be the type of thing that'd earn you money. :spin:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Nah, I'm sure it's completely 100% possible if not done already.

But yes, the songs probably wouldn't be as imaginative or creative as a person-made song would be.
1st_Movement
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by 1st_Movement »

try getting a computer to color something for you. it wouldnt be the same...shading...and computers cant do anything with creativity...

humans win that one.
want a cookie?

i love to write. if you love to read, PM me. :)
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Yes, but define "creative"... I see creativity as nothing more than random following mental rules.
1st_Movement
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by 1st_Movement »

creativity is being able to create something...without rules in the process.

i guess. i dont really know HOW to explain it...but I DO know that to create "good" music, it has to cater to the listener...
the random following of mental rules doesnt constitute creativity...creativity is something to be worked at. something to be...created.

tis hard to explain...:|
want a cookie?

i love to write. if you love to read, PM me. :)
Showdin
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Showdin »

Yeah, and besides, I doesn't take THAT long to make a song anyway. So might as well homebrew one from scratch.
You are better than me.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I'm just saying that it's definately possible to make a program create "creative" things. Well... maybe I'm just not very creative and don't know what it takes. But when I do make something that somebody says is creative, I remember doing something random (not random as in Picaso[sp?] but random spurs of thought.) Like you said it's hard to explain.