Hydrogen powered vehicles.

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Hydrogen powered vehicles.

Post by JS Lemming »

You knew this topic was going to pop up sooner or later. So where do you stand? I say heck yes. True, that in order for it to really replace oil the hydrogen would have to be produced by non fossil fuel plants, but the prototype for the new nuclear power plants show that they will produce Hydrogen on the side (Hydrogen requires a lot of heat to produce, perfect for nuclear power house yo).

I say bust out the hydrogen and let oil rot.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

It will never work.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/generaltec ... 69,00.html

But everyone wants it to anyways. Because people are idiots.
There is no signature.
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

How come it won't? :?
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Read the link, dumbass.
There is no signature.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I'm a big fan of popular science and that article is surely true. As a matter of fact, I get all my hydrogen facts from it, including the idea of using a nuclear power plant to produce the hydrogen. They must of thought better on the subject later. But, I didn't say that we could do this tommorrow, the time range is 20 to 30 years (I plan to cut that down). I hate it when people say crap is impossible. This world is going to suck if people like you "DJ Yoshi" populate the globe. You have no idea if new technology could easily produce hydrogen, you are clueless.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

I'm clueless? Jesus christ, listen to yourself kid. You don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about. Creating hydrogen isn't the only problem we're talking about. Storing it in mass quantities, such that you wouldn't have to refuel every 50 or so miles, storing it efficiently, making sure there's no leaks in the pumps (something you have to do with gasses whereas liquids you don't have to worry about) manufacturing the cars CHEAPLY etc are all things you have to worry about.

Not to mention, you know when the last powerplant was made in the US? How few of them there are in the US? The last one was made in the 70s and there's less than 50 in the US. Do you want to know why? Everyone's afraid of fission and its waste (though they're stupid for their fears, it doesn't change facts.)
There is no signature.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

That's why you would use liquid hydrogen, and don'y give me crap about it boiling over. That can be solved with a little time.

I'm not going to argue with you. You just can't have a peaceful conversation. Ruin it everytime.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Uhhh... JSL, liquid hydrogen would be so insanely cold that it can't exist without millions of dollars worth of cooling equipment and some sort of special containment chamber...
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

They all ready built a car that runs on liquid hydrogen (watched an entire History Channel speacial on the hydrogen cars), just like a normal hydrogen car with only ONE drawback. If it isn't run everyday the tank will boil away. But that is why I said that a little time may fix such problems. I'm being optimistic if you haven't noticed.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Oh... I see. I've been pwnt.

*slowly backs away to Dreamcast forum where I'm smarter...* XD
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Yeah, well prove to me they've made one, AND that it can be mass marketed and I'll concede that one point. The only reason I can't have a peaceful conversation is because you're a dumbass and think you MUST be right. Also, who's to say it'll be solved with time? R&D doesn't happen over night, it happens over a large span of time (10-20 years) and who's to say it's even POSSIBLE to make it so it doesn't boil over cheaply.

Not to mention, you still haven't addressed how exactly we're going to get all this hydrogen. We'd need literally millions of gallons of liquid hydrogen per day, and this would NOT be cheap or easy to make (considering no powerplants are going to be made soon that magically make it or whatever). Please, do explain how we'll do this.
There is no signature.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Uhh. dude, if I knew all that we'd already be using hydrogen. And where did I say I was right and you were wrong? You are the one who said it was impossible, you don't know that so why say it? I didn't say my side was going to happen no matter what, but I'm confident that technology will expand and get better over time, just like it's done since the dawn of time.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Well of course technology will, but some technology can never be made. We'll never travel the speed of light, we'll never go through a black hole and live to tell about it, we'll never reach the edge of the universe. These things are just givens. We'll probably never have hydrogen cars either, or if we do, it's going to be a system very unique that has to be set up over a LONG period of time. We're never going to stop using oil. And yes, you did imply that Hydrogen was going to happen and it was the wave of the future. You didn't out and out say it, but you implied it. I think you should become more educated before you make inferences like that.
There is no signature.
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I think people will soon realize that we are running out of oil and they will use hydrogen powered cars. Then they will many years later make water powered cars.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Wow.. you are comparing a dinky hyrdrogen car to going the speed of light or black hole travel. Those are so different that it's not even close to being funny. And yes, I do believe hydrogen will be the new wave of energy transportation, unless batery technology gets a huge breakthrough. But untill then, quit asuming I'm a retarded little kid.