Adventures in Game Development Chapter 25

Latest news covering the Elysian Shadows project, The Chaos Rift forums, and our affiliate developers and projects. News also appears in the website's new section.

Moderators: News Mods, Elysian Shadows Team

Re: Adventures in Game Development Chapter 25

Postby Mr. Achie on Wed May 28, 2014 8:17 am

qpHalcy0n wrote:It'd really be impossible to obtain alpha masked shadows in a 3D world w/ 2D sprite characters unless you constrain the angles. Obviously there are angles where the light is incident to the plane and that would never work. If you used a 3D impostor object you may as well just have 3D characters since for either shadow mapped or stencil shadows you'd be rendering the geometry anyways.

Simple overlays work well enough.

Indeed!
Mr. Achie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby dandymcgee on Wed May 28, 2014 7:06 pm

kaz wrote:I do have a question for you guys. Since the battle system is now live-action or whatever you want to call it, does that mean there will no longer be a party system? Or only 1 member fights at a time or something?

Helllll no. There will definitely still be a party system.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby bbguimaraes on Wed May 28, 2014 7:12 pm

dandymcgee wrote:
kaz wrote:I do have a question for you guys. Since the battle system is now live-action or whatever you want to call it, does that mean there will no longer be a party system? Or only 1 member fights at a time or something?

I look forward to the AiGD episode where Tyler implements the AI for this :lol:
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby superLED on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:33 pm

bbguimaraes wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:

I'm sure his LUA scripts would look more like hieroglyphics thrown in a WillItBlend-blender.
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby dandymcgee on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:40 am

superLED wrote:
bbguimaraes wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:

I'm sure his LUA scripts would look more like hieroglyphics thrown in a WillItBlend-blender.

LUA dust, don't breathe this!
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby Falco Girgis on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:16 pm

Mr. Achie wrote:
qpHalcy0n wrote:It'd really be impossible to obtain alpha masked shadows in a 3D world w/ 2D sprite characters unless you constrain the angles. Obviously there are angles where the light is incident to the plane and that would never work. If you used a 3D impostor object you may as well just have 3D characters since for either shadow mapped or stencil shadows you'd be rendering the geometry anyways.

Simple overlays work well enough.

Indeed!
Yeah, that's pretty much our predicament. We don't want to sink too much time into it, but there is no way to do pixel-perfect shadows with a full-range 3D camera without creating actual 3D geometry for shadow volumes... If that's the case, you might as well say fuck it and go with models over sprites...

We've opted for prism shadow volumes currently, and will probably go with something more like a cylinder ultimately with far better shadow sampling and blending, which will make them look less blocky.

Also don't want to sink a shitload of time into detailed shadow volumes, considering how expensive the shadow mapping operation already is... No way it's going to be on DC, and it's probably not going to be on OUYA or mobile.
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby ElpidaHope on Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:43 am

This chapter amazed me. The 3D moments are in a really good path, I bet they will look awesome when completely fixed!
Oh and especially the zooming in and out when walking through doors looks rad. :)
ElpidaHope
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby ph0sph0ruz on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:11 pm

We really couldn't hear Connor's new song on the Sega Nerds interview. I hope we are going to hear a sample of that Boss demo on AIGD 26??

And I also want to say good luck to Tyler because he is taking the leap here shortly with his two weeks. I definitely envy you guys. I know it's still a ton of work but it's where I want to be someday.
ph0sph0ruz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Previous

Return to Community News