Adventures in Game Development Chapter 25

Latest news covering the Elysian Shadows project, The Chaos Rift forums, and our affiliate developers and projects. News also appears in the website's new section.

Moderators: News Mods, Elysian Shadows Team

Adventures in Game Development Chapter 25

Postby Falco Girgis on Mon May 19, 2014 1:54 pm

Here's the press release!

Press Release wrote:There have been huge things happening for Elysian Shadows since the launch of AiGD24, as we've been working towards our Kickstarter this summer... Our social media presence and press coverage has increased dramatically, we have been featured on three different podcasts, we have been convered on gaming sites for Android, OUYA, iOS, and (most importantly Dreamcast), and our press release even made it onto Gamasutra.

We were also contacted by the president of Watermelon Co, the company behind Pier Solar and Pier Solar HD shipping for Dreamcast this summer about a publishing deal on the Dreamcast. We have been long-time fans of their work and are honored to be given the opportunity to be affiliated with them.

We just released Adventures in Game Development Chapter 25, which is by far our most gameplay-oriented video to date, giving fans a huge amount of gameplay, art, and music to digest, including our battle engine. Here are the hightlights:
  • Finalized dynamic shadows and lighting
  • 3D particle and rigid body physics engines
  • Dynamic 2D/3D camera perspectives
  • Tons of unique SFX for walking on different environments
  • 3 new background tracks
  • New areas revealed
  • Real-Time battle engine revealed

And of course, the screenies:

If you haven't already, please subscribe to the newsletter on our website and follow us on our social media sites for continued updates and news as we work towards our Kickstarter!

Let us know what you think of this episode in the comments below or on any of our social media pages:
http://elysianshadows.com
http://facebook.com/elysianshadows
http://twitter.com/elysian_shadows
http://plus.google.com/+Elysianshadows
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Re: Adventures in Game Development Chapter 25

Postby eatcomics on Mon May 19, 2014 2:13 pm

I've been waiting diligently. Now I just have to get home so I can watch it.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby SomeAwesomeUsername on Mon May 19, 2014 5:40 pm

Dude, 12:07 surprised me. That's a minor but awesome thing.
SomeAwesomeUsername
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby superLED on Tue May 20, 2014 3:29 pm

SomeAwesomeUsername wrote:Dude, 12:07 surprised me. That's a minor but awesome thing.

Yeah, the zooming in and out when going in/out doors really amazed me.
So much progress shown in this chapter. You're all doing great!
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby Jale on Thu May 22, 2014 4:14 pm

Jeeee...suh...!
Jale
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby Falco Girgis on Fri May 23, 2014 1:19 pm

Thanks so much, guys. Spent the week eating nothing but health foods, weight lifting, and running to recover my body from AiGD25... Ready to do it all over again. :twisted:

Also, we made our first official press release the other day, which has resulted in a massive amount of press coverage for Elysian Shadows. We were offered a publishing deal for the Dreamcast, we participated in 3 podcast interviews within a week, and we secured something HUGE that we have been asked to keep secret until August...

Shit is REALLY getting serious for this project, and any amount of promotion you guys could do by spreading the word or simply liking/sharing our posts on Facebook, Twitter, and G+ directly impact the chances of us succeeding on Kickstarter. We will be eternally grateful to you guys.

Also, here are the podcasts for those of you who missed them. Lots of great stuff was discussed in each:

http://twodashstash.com/2014/05/indie-stash-cast-falco-girgis-tyler-rogers-talk-elysian-shadows-developing-dreamcast-answer-questions/
http://coreelementspodcast.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/ce-61-elysian-shadows.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JN90aCRuQI
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby dandymcgee on Fri May 23, 2014 4:54 pm

The publicity is beyond well deserved. Fame is nearly within your grasp, and I have no doubt about your ability to seize it before it passes you by.
Onward to higher success, gentlemen. :cheers:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby amirjabri on Fri May 23, 2014 5:18 pm

Now that you have a nice physics 3d engine would be cool to add a portal spell and puzzles to get through dungeons etc. using gravity to build up speed by jumping off a platform.
amirjabri
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby Falco Girgis on Fri May 23, 2014 7:29 pm

amirjabri wrote:Now that you have a nice physics 3d engine would be cool to add a portal spell and puzzles to get through dungeons etc. using gravity to build up speed by jumping off a platform.
Awwwww yeeeeeeah. 8-)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby ph0sph0ruz on Fri May 23, 2014 11:02 pm

Falco Girgis wrote:Thanks so much, guys. Spent the week eating nothing but health foods, weight lifting, and running to recover my body from AiGD25... Ready to do it all over again. :twisted:

Also, we made our first official press release the other day, which has resulted in a massive amount of press coverage for Elysian Shadows. We were offered a publishing deal for the Dreamcast, we participated in 3 podcast interviews within a week, and we secured something HUGE that we have been asked to keep secret until August...

Shit is REALLY getting serious for this project, and any amount of promotion you guys could do by spreading the word or simply liking/sharing our posts on Facebook, Twitter, and G+ directly impact the chances of us succeeding on Kickstarter. We will be eternally grateful to you guys.

Also, here are the podcasts for those of you who missed them. Lots of great stuff was discussed in each:

http://twodashstash.com/2014/05/indie-stash-cast-falco-girgis-tyler-rogers-talk-elysian-shadows-developing-dreamcast-answer-questions/
http://coreelementspodcast.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/ce-61-elysian-shadows.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JN90aCRuQI

I will promote as much as possible! I will do everything I can to make ES happen. I don't know how much you'll get from me but I have been and will always be promoting you guys. I have to say the art has been getting pretty serious as of late, I know it's all about gameplay, but I'm a graphics whore too. That fireball and the concept art is awesome! I'm sure there's plenty more coming our way.
ph0sph0ruz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby Falco Girgis on Fri May 23, 2014 11:46 pm

Thanks so much, man. The entire team really appreciates it. Every single like or share counts.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby Mr. Achie on Mon May 26, 2014 2:41 pm

Great job on this episode. It keeps getting better and better. Amazing job man. I'm blown away. Seriously.

I have a question regarding the shadows of the character. I apologize if I missed something in the series:
Are you planning to make the shadow for the character really like ''a shadow of the character'', rather than a box/plane? Not that it is bad now! I think it stills looks good to be honest.

But if you are planning to make it a shadow that resembled the character, how would you do that, since the character itself is a plane and since the sun/light can go all around it, it will mess up. Or will you use a hidden 3D object that basically resembles some parts that still casts shadows? ( /retarded solution that gives you much more problems :P )

Again, it is still looking amazing with the shadows now! Those screens of Loren, damn, so beautiful.

Edit: actually, damn, I realize that there are some challenges/problems by creating those character shadows (because of the animations duh).

Edit 2:
Creating absolutely perfect character shadows means that everything must have perfect shadows. Forget about my entire post, except the red part.
Mr. Achie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby bbguimaraes on Mon May 26, 2014 4:11 pm

bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby qpHalcy0n on Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

It'd really be impossible to obtain alpha masked shadows in a 3D world w/ 2D sprite characters unless you constrain the angles. Obviously there are angles where the light is incident to the plane and that would never work. If you used a 3D impostor object you may as well just have 3D characters since for either shadow mapped or stencil shadows you'd be rendering the geometry anyways.

Simple overlays work well enough.
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Postby kaz on Wed May 28, 2014 1:24 am

Hey guys, great chapter. I am doing as much advertising for you guys as I can think of. Although I'm holding back in a lot of places for fear of getting in trouble on forums etc, until the kickstarter actually starts.

I do have a question for you guys. Since the battle system is now live-action or whatever you want to call it, does that mean there will no longer be a party system? Or only 1 member fights at a time or something?
kaz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Next

Return to Community News