Adventures in Game Development Chapter 24

Latest news covering the Elysian Shadows project, The Chaos Rift forums, and our affiliate developers and projects. News also appears in the website's new section.

Moderators: News Mods, Elysian Shadows Team

Adventures in Game Development Chapter 24

Postby Falco Girgis on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:46 pm

HAS ARRIVED!!!!

Youtube Description wrote:We're back! After taking some time listening to our fans, we decided to make a much more gameplay and storyline-centric chapter, with never-before-released information regarding ES.

Along with this chapter, we have completely revamped and rebranded our website to emphasize our new direction on the project moving towards the Kickstarter... We highly encourage everyone to check it out, as it also has game information that has never been released previously:
http://elysianshadows.com

Please let us know what kinds of goals and rewards you would like to see on our Kickstarter this summer. We can't thank you enough for helping to spread the word of our project. Don't forget to follow us on social media sites!
http://facebook.com/elysianshadows
http://twitter.com/elysian_shadows
http://https://plus.google.com/+Elysianshadows

Couple screenshots from the new site:

Those of you visit the site directly from the forums, don't forget to check the homepage! It's completely redone and has lots of new, kickass content!
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Re: Adventures in Game Development Chapter 24

Postby bbguimaraes on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Downloaded it even before the announcement! Probably one of the first, because I subscribed to the youtube channel ages ago. Sadly, work kept me from watching more than the first 20 minutes yesterday. I'll see if I can finish it today, but things are looking pretty awesome (as always).

Also, found the new homepage by accident yesterday, I'm going to explore it when I get home.
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby bbguimaraes on Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:49 pm

In order of appearance:
  • I love anything related to lighting, I think it's one of the most beautiful things you can add to a game or simulation in general. Your demos are getting better and better each time. While watching, I remembered this text I found some months ago about Doom 3 (might have fonud it here, I don't remember) where they explain and show some of the things the engine did. Pretty awesome stuff.
  • Falco, you are never going to convince me you didn't add that "Out of penetration iterations" message on purpose.
  • "150 todo's, trying to get things to compile". That feeling... This should be on a shirt.
  • Using ES on a first-grad project? You are my hero.
  • I love how most of what you are saying reminds me of "StillAVirgin-whatever" talking about his game: "And the light coming from the sun bounces on her boobs...". The only difference is you actually implement it =)
  • malloc instead of new! Epic sneaky bug! I can almost taste the debugging marathon. I imagine that region of memory saying: "Hey, call me! Please, call me!".
  • And now a question: why do all videos end abruptly? The last two or three did and I had to double check my download wasn't corrupted.
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby Falco Girgis on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:22 pm

bbguimaraes wrote:I love anything related to lighting, I think it's one of the most beautiful things you can add to a game or simulation in general. Your demos are getting better and better each time. While watching, I remembered this text I found some months ago about Doom 3 (might have fonud it here, I don't remember) where they explain and show some of the things the engine did. Pretty awesome stuff.
Weeeeell! Thanks, man, I'll check it out!

bbguimaraes wrote:Falco, you are never going to convince me you didn't add that "Out of penetration iterations" message on purpose.
LOL. I wish I could too! I'm still working with my contact resolution algorithm for resolving rotational interpenetration and velocities at contact points... Sometimes it can be a bitch and either slightly push a contact further into penetration, or it can try to resolve it and get super close but never do it 100%... There are SO many factors at play here and variables that need to be tweaked... There's framerate, maximum velocity integrated per frame, positional and rotational contact resolutions episolons, number of iterations the algorithm is allowed to spend resolving the contacts for every frame, making sure our moments of inertia, mass, and coefficients of restitution are reasonable... A slight deviation in any of these values can literally blow up the simulation, so I'm still tweaking to get things completely stable... This is only for contacts with non-infinite moments of inertia (angular resolution).

bbguimaraes wrote:malloc instead of new! Epic sneaky bug! I can almost taste the debugging marathon. I imagine that region of memory saying: "Hey, call me! Please, call me!".
That's what I get for mixing C-style dynamic memory allocation schemes with non-POD C++ datatypes... I take great pride in my low-level C background, but every one-in-awhile, it bites me in the asshole... Wouldn't have taken so long to figure out, if my pool container template didn't work flawlessly on POD C++ objects.

bbguimaraes wrote:And now a question: why do all videos end abruptly? The last two or three did and I had to double check my download wasn't corrupted.
:lol:

This is something I've been trying to be more aware of lately... Honestly? Because by the time I'm done single-handedly editing over an hour of footage after not sleeping and developing for two days straight, I can't wait to finish and hit fucking render... We should really consider some kind of outro or credits text... Criticism well received.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby bbguimaraes on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:51 pm

Falco Girgis wrote:
bbguimaraes wrote:Falco, you are never going to convince me you didn't add that "Out of penetration iterations" message on purpose.
LOL. I wish I could too! I'm still working with my contact resolution algorithm for resolving rotational interpenetration and velocities at contact points... Sometimes it can be a bitch and either slightly push a contact further into penetration, or it can try to resolve it and get super close but never do it 100%... There are SO many factors at play here and variables that need to be tweaked... There's framerate, maximum velocity integrated per frame, positional and rotational contact resolutions episolons, number of iterations the algorithm is allowed to spend resolving the contacts for every frame, making sure our moments of inertia, mass, and coefficients of restitution are reasonable... A slight deviation in any of these values can literally blow up the simulation, so I'm still tweaking to get things completely stable... This is only for contacts with non-infinite moments of inertia (angular resolution).

A long time ago I worked at a research project that was developing a surgery simulation, with haptic feedback, textured organ meshes and all. My assignment was to develop a mass-spring system to simulate surgical sutures (we used one of these guys). Really awesome stuff. But sometimes when tweaking the parameters of the equations, it was just as you said: things were working well, but something started to happen. Usually it was incremental, some of the masses started to shake a bit and a few seconds later, chaos emerged and the whole system went through the (computer monitor) window.

I forgot to say it in my previous post: the funniest parts for me in the videos is when one of you breaks something and a "chaos moment" like this happens. I remember my time coding these simulations, I used to have a blast.
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby Mr. Achie on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:00 pm

Another great episode of AIGD.

Like I said before, the game is very unique. I can't wait to play it. 8-)

Keep up the great work.
Mr. Achie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby MobiusDragon88 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:58 pm

One thing I would suggest is maybe try to make each digit in the damage numbers animate, would make for a more eye catching effect. :P
MobiusDragon88
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby Mr. Achie on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:09 am

In this chapter, you would see that the camera ''zooms in'' or comes a little bit closer to the main characters when they are having a conversation.

In a previous chapter where you guys were talking about playing with other camera angles, you would see a kickass camera effect that literally zooms in on them, from a different perspective (in front of them).

Which one will you choose for the conversations? The zoom effect, the kickass ''3D effect'', or both (by zooming in seamlessly)?
Mr. Achie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby Falco Girgis on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:46 am

Mr. Achie wrote:In this chapter, you would see that the camera ''zooms in'' or comes a little bit closer to the main characters when they are having a conversation.

In a previous chapter where you guys were talking about playing with other camera angles, you would see a kickass camera effect that literally zooms in on them, from a different perspective (in front of them).

Which one will you choose for the conversations? The zoom effect, the kickass ''3D effect'', or both (by zooming in seamlessly)?
Funny you bring this back up... I just spent two days straight (no sleep) fixing up the 3D cameras... We had broken them awhile back with our shitloads of new features, but now they're back. To answer your question, we will be using both.

The Camera System can dynamically zoom with any perspective, and we will dynamically modify the obliquity of our projections in-game. The 3D cameras will work best for zooming on people and events during dialog and cinematics, while the 2D zoom will be better for intense combat with shitloads of enemies dispersed about.

Here's a little teaser from AiGD25 demonstrating the new cameras:
Orthographic Projection
Oblique Projection
Perspective Projection

MobiusDragon88 wrote:One thing I would suggest is maybe try to make each digit in the damage numbers animate, would make for a more eye catching effect. :P
I spent some time thinking about this, and while I absolutely agree with you in the case of static animations, I don't see how this could possibly work out with the dynamic physics we're proposing for the numbers.

The two digits would immediately separate, which would make it really hard to tell exactly how much damage you did to something.

It works well for games like Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, etc where the animations are preset, and the numbers all ultimately wind up at the same location in the Y-axis, but it won't work well for flinging numbers with actual physics in 3D.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby eatcomics on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:30 pm

Falco, that is sexy as hell.

Every episode I get more and more excited about this game. Ya'll motherfuckers are some talented individuals. I wish more dev teams were as open as you guys about sharing their process.

I remember watching you guys in my younger years and thinking, "damn you guys are entertaining as fuck. The game looks like it will be fun too." Now I watch and I'm like, these bitches are educated. This game is bound to get some serious attention upon completion. Already you guys are starting to get a spotlight from the media, but I think once the kickstarter goes down you guys will be swimming in fans.

I also love all this focus on 3D oriented mechanics. All of my work last year was on learning model loading and animation but you guys have really got me excited to do some work with shaders and more advanced rendering. Looking at some of these effects my mind is just blown on how you guys are going to making this game run on so many consoles. And I'm drooling for a toolkit release so I can have some fun breaking it.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby Falco Girgis on Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:02 am

Well, fuck... Thanks, man! We really appreciate it. :mrgreen:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby caleb on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:54 am

You guys never fail to impress, the engine looks great, the pixel art is great, and the music is great. You guys are very inspirational and I hope you never stop doing AiDG style videos. :worship:
caleb
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby Mr. Achie on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Falco Girgis wrote:
Mr. Achie wrote:In this chapter, you would see that the camera ''zooms in'' or comes a little bit closer to the main characters when they are having a conversation.

Funny you bring this back up... I just spent two days straight (no sleep) fixing up the 3D cameras... We had broken them awhile back with our shitloads of new features, but now they're back. To answer your question, we will be using both.

The Camera System can dynamically zoom with any perspective, and we will dynamically modify the obliquity of our projections in-game. The 3D cameras will work best for zooming on people and events during dialog and cinematics, while the 2D zoom will be better for intense combat with shitloads of enemies dispersed about.

Here's a little teaser from AiGD25 demonstrating the new cameras:
img
Orthographic Projection
img
Oblique Projection
img
Perspective Projection

Damn.. :worship: Can't wait for AIGD25 8-)
Mr. Achie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby ph0sph0ruz on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:40 pm

I just wanted to comment that I watched every video this past weekend. I couldn't stop watching. The struggles with gamedev is everything I've been going through so far myself. I can relate how fucking hard it is and I'm sort of at that emo stage right now. I know how big the mountain is but making a game has been a dream/passion of mine for a long time, even before your videos began. I remember doing graphics in 1998/99 and there wasn't much out there in the way of help. I was doing a lot of low level assembly programming. Now there are just so many choices out there for designing a game and starting from scratch but making it myself I feel is the best choice even though I'm doing it myself. I want to create all this stuff myself not only to say I did it but also to learn it inside out. If I used something like Unity I don't have to understand it all but the problem is that I wouldn't understand it enough to feel comfortable with it. If I make something work, I want to know the inner workings of what happened. I hope you understand where I'm coming from...

Your videos are an inspiration and I definitely respect you guys for what you've done and how far you've come since the beginning. I know in my mind what it takes to get where you are with your toolkit and library even though I haven't done it myself yet, I've only begun my journey. So I am with you guys and I will support you in any way I am able, even helping you advertise through social media so your kickstarter is successful.

P.S. One of my favorite parts in the videos was when you explained what a friend class was and how it worked.

Peace!
ph0sph0ruz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby Thel on Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:38 pm

I have to commend you, Falco, for your competence & finesse. How the hell you can hack your postgrad degree & a project as intent as this, I’ll never know. Maybe I ought to try amphetamine.

I love the use of 3D – it really adds to the atmosphere, w/o being overused. I expect it’ll cohere to the lore of ES as well, from what I remember of the story. I’m glad you’ve gone back to the casual videos – so many game developers reckon they’re in Hollywood now. They might have the money, but those games have stagnated by now. The only innovations come w/ the announcement of a new engine or a new console. But deviations in any direction can be seen as a form of innovation – newer doesn’t mean better. It’s palpable you possess this same mentality.
Thel
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Next

Return to Community News