Adventures in Game Development Chapter 23

Latest news covering the Elysian Shadows project, The Chaos Rift forums, and our affiliate developers and projects. News also appears in the website's new section.

Moderators: News Mods, Elysian Shadows Team

Adventures in Game Development Chapter 23

Postby Falco Girgis on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:40 am

HAS ARRIVED!

Description wrote:Team ES is back with level design, pixel art, music, dynamic lights, particles, and spell effects! We have all been extremely busy with the project over the last few weeks, and we're happy to bring an update from all ends of the spectrum: art, code, and music.

Things are getting very serious for us as we work towards our summer Kickstarter campaign. We have several surprises up our sleeves for you guys in the coming weeks, and we very much appreciate all of the community support and publicity we have been receiving during these critical times. Please help spread the word!

"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Re: Adventures in Game Development Chapter 23

Postby dandymcgee on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:23 pm

Weeeeeelllll! Patryk's latest Entry To Loren is fucking beautiful. The multi-pass lighting iterations were hilarious, lol.
Fireball effect, epic as shit.

Connor's main theme demo.. nearly melted my headphones with awesome. "Once you have the chord progression, you pretty much just add everything else on top of it." Sounds simple enough.. :roll:
Dialogue!? The dialogue box looks fantastic dude!
Nice work gentlemen. Another seriously impressive chapter, and another step closer to a damn successful KickStarter! :cheers:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby SomeAwesomeUsername on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:55 am

Falco wrote:I honestly hate RPG's where the world feels static. I want to be able to walk to walk in every goddamn house. I want to have a reason to open every cabinet, to check every nook and canny. I want to be rewarded for that.

Tyler wrote:Why is the house there? There's no point in having that, put something else there. There's enough smoke and mirrors that happen in video games without taking content away from the players to make your world seem overly large when our world is this size. If there is a door, you can go in it. Or if you can't, there's a damn good reason why you can't.

This got me pumped! Sounds like I'll spend way too much time on your guys game just exploring each house while just basking in the art. Which is a good thing! :D

Also, these last three episodes with the new raw format is 10,000 times better...in my opinion anyway.
SomeAwesomeUsername
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby superLED on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:10 pm

SomeAwesomeUsername wrote:
Falco wrote:I honestly hate RPG's where the world feels static. I want to be able to walk to walk in every goddamn house. I want to have a reason to open every cabinet, to check every nook and canny. I want to be rewarded for that.

Tyler wrote:Why is the house there? There's no point in having that, put something else there. There's enough smoke and mirrors that happen in video games without taking content away from the players to make your world seem overly large when our world is this size. If there is a door, you can go in it. Or if you can't, there's a damn good reason why you can't.

This got me pumped! Sounds like I'll spend way too much time on your guys game just exploring each house while just basking in the art. Which is a good thing! :D

Also, these last three episodes with the new raw format is 10,000 times better...in my opinion anyway.

Same here. I remember when I played the DayZ mod, and got some Zombies after me... "Hey, there's a house! Let's hide in there!" ... *tries to open the door* ... "Oh FUCK, why did they put this house here if I can't fucking go inside it?" ... *dies*
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby RyanPridgeon on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Really enjoyed watching this last night.. Keep it up, you crazy marathon-coding fucks!

It's coming together :mrgreen:
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Postby MobiusDragon88 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:02 pm

Every single time I heard Multi-pass, I thought of the movie the Fifth Element. :mrgreen: Was exciting to see some insight into some of the gameplay mechanics which will be featured. Those spell effects are bad ass and Chrono Trigger worthy. :)
MobiusDragon88
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby Falco Girgis on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:48 pm

Thanks for the support, guys!

We're currently literally campaigning our dicks off for the Kickstarter. If you haven't been following us on our social media pages, we have been featured on a new gaming news site almost every day this week.

We're trying to appeal to a larger audience now than just the oldschool RPG and indie Dreamcast scenes. We're really starting to emphasize the "next gen" aspect of Elysian Shadows...

So what does everyone want to see in AiGD24?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby SomeAwesomeUsername on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:43 pm

Falco Girgis wrote:So what does everyone want to see in AiGD24?

An actual fight between the player and an enemy with those fireballs. In the dark.
SomeAwesomeUsername
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby MobiusDragon88 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:47 pm

Maybe in the next video, you could talk about a gameplay system that hasn't really been mentioned before. Will there be item / skill customization? I always loved skill grids like in Rogue Galaxy, Final Fantasy X/XII and games where you can learn new skills based on what kind of equipment you have. How about minigames or something like jobs, where you can make a little bit of extra money or get rare items?
MobiusDragon88
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby Falco Girgis on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:11 pm

Glad to hear people are wanting more gameplay.

We spent the last couple months redefining and rebranding what we want ES to be from a technological standpoint, and I think we're ready to start focusing more on the gameplay itself and put all of these elements of the engine together into a cohesive game... especially the battle engine.

And we actually do have a very thoroughly developed skill, class, and magic system that was dreamt up long before the engine or Toolkit were complete.

Final Fantasy 9, 10, 12, and Rogue Galaxy are all games Tyler and I have beaten and have influenced our battle system and character customization in one way or another.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby JaxDragon on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:39 pm

Having mentioned Rogue Galaxy, are there plans to implement a similar weapon crafting system, or crafting system in general? That's something I loved in Rogue Galaxy.
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Postby Falco Girgis on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:31 am

Yep. At very least we have a full alchemy system planned, which is quite like how Dragon Quest 8 and Rogue Galaxy handled it.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby ph0sph0ruz on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:58 pm

When you have a date for Kickstarter, you guys should do something like this... http://www.hextraction.com/

Promote it before it goes. I know you're already doing that but email subscriptions would do good throughout the project I think. Just a suggestion. :D
ph0sph0ruz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby Falco Girgis on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:06 pm

I like that quite a bit... We are finishing up the new site, and we were definitely planning to have a link ahead of time, but this kind of epic countdown is a really good idea.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby ph0sph0ruz on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:15 pm

Falco Girgis wrote:I like that quite a bit... We are finishing up the new site, and we were definitely planning to have a link ahead of time, but this kind of epic countdown is a really good idea.

Gotta have an epic countdown for an epic game!
ph0sph0ruz
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Next

Return to Community News