Adventures in Game Development Chapter 22

Latest news covering the Elysian Shadows project, The Chaos Rift forums, and our affiliate developers and projects. News also appears in the website's new section.

Moderators: News Mods, Elysian Shadows Team

Adventures in Game Development Chapter 22

Postby Falco Girgis on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:42 am

Surprise, surprise, bitches!

Youtubez wrote:It's been SOOOOOOO--owait, no it hasn't... Team ES picks back up right where they left off in Chapter 21, with dynamic shadows, 3D perspectives, AI, battle system, level design, and pixel art development.

We are preparing our engine and assets for our Kickstarter campaign this summer. If you want to see ES become a reality, please help us spread the word and support our Kickstarter when the times comes!

It's uploading right now!

Omni-directional dynamic point lights

Bump mapping, dynamic lighting, and a 3D perspective

Open Message for the Dreamcast-Scene:
ES Team wrote:Since Chapter 22 has really been a continuation of Chapter 21, and we are still trying to complete the intense graphical R&D we had undertaken previously, we have still not had a chance to bring the Dreamcast build up to speed... Despite this fact, Falco has been doing lots of research and planning for exactly how we will attempt to pull some of these lighting effects off on the platform.

Our long-time friend and partner in crime, Tvspelsfreak, is developing an all-in-one texture tool to integrate with ESTk, our toolkit, to automatically generate optimized paletted or compressed textures to minimize our VRAM footprint on the Dreamcast. This will give us more room to play with some of the hardware effects we have been itching to get our hands on... Specifically dat dot3 bumpmapping.

As we keep trying to emphasize, we will be working our asses off over the next few months, pushing our technology and engine, in preparation for a Kickstarter campaign in the summer. The Dreamcast build of ES is a planned Kickstarter goal.

We are trying to establish ourselves as a truly unique, "next-gen" 2D RPG experience and distinguish ourselves from the crowd. If you would like to see ES happen, please help us spread the word of our upcoming Kickstarter... We are pouring our hearts and souls into this engine and game, and we would like nothing more than to bring our RPG to your Dreamcasts.

As I am trying to really emphasize, we are all working our asses off, pouring our hearts and souls into this at a pace that really isn't sustainable all in preparation to crowd-fund ES. The most important thing we can do right now is grow our audience and Kickstarter awareness. Please help help spread the word!
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Re: Adventures in Game Development Chapter 22

Postby TheBuzzSaw on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:04 pm

So nice that we could finally put to rest the concept of uploading episodes in pieces. One long video FTW.
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby superLED on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:48 pm

This chapter was awesome. Loved the lightning!
Hope you'll not focus TOO much on fancy effects and such, because that would kill the charm.
But the way it looks now, it's gorgeous and gives it a nice touch of next gen.

Nice work guys! Maybe the big companies will take this game as an example for future 2D games.
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby JaxDragon on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:13 am

As long as I've been watching videos on youtube, no other channel has made me as excited to see new videos as much as you guys. Keep cranking out the progress!
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Postby dandymcgee on Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:00 pm

superLED wrote:This chapter was awesome. Loved the lightning!

Man.. I watched the whole thing expecting to see lightning and was really disappointed. Thanks a lot. :nono:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby Light-Dark on Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:13 pm

You and Peter were rockin' Orgy's version of Blue Monday! I gotta say the lighting and different perspectives look absolutely amazing and I can't wait to (hopefully) see how you guys will implement all these fancy effects on the good ol' Dreamcast ;)! Keep up the hard work!
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step

Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Postby eatcomics on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:46 pm

I can't wait for this kickstarter to be out. There better be some sweet extras for us early donators. Besides you know, a kick ass engine, an epic game, and the countless hours of behind the scenes developer footage...

Actually can I just say, for all that I'm giving you guys an extra tip instead of the other way around.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby Falco Girgis on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:55 pm

In response to how quickly our videos have been coming out lately, I'm just going to quote what I posted at dreamcast-talk:
me wrote:Thank you guys so much for the kind words and support of our Kickstarter... We have been trying to maintain our momentum and continue to release AiGD Chapters at this same pace to build our publicity before the Kickstarter... Honestly, we're working at a very unsustainable pace, so you have no idea how important this Kickstarter is for us... I'm working a full-time job as a software engineer, I'm a part-time student working on my masters in computer engineering, and everything you see has just been us staying up all night (sometimes abusing our Adderall prescriptions) working on ES during the weekends... We are doing it because we truly believe in our product, and because we see a light at the end of the tunnel.

This is only the beginning, and we plan to continue to release Chapters as quickly as our golden days back during Chapters 12-15 again. The more we can get our asses on YouTube, the larger audience becomes, and the more successful our Kickstarter will be.

We are also currently completely redoing our website and rebranding ourselves and our goals for ES. Our new web guy is really awesome, and we're all working with him to create something epic.

And yes, we have PLENTY of fucking awesome Kickstarter rewards and stretch goals planned... Our project has quite an advantage here of longevity and a legacy on Youtube that no other Kickstarter project can claim... We can do anything from AiGD series DVDs to scans of our original "devcock" notebooks...
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby bbguimaraes on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:58 pm

Great video, guys. This format is perfect for me, specially if it doesn't take too much time from devin' (because we all know there is never enough time for that). I'm just hoping no mortal injuries happen to any of you. The look on your faces sometimes scare me, mainly because I've been there too.
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby superLED on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:43 pm

dandymcgee wrote:
superLED wrote:This chapter was awesome. Loved the lightning!

Man.. I watched the whole thing expecting to see lightning and was really disappointed. Thanks a lot. :nono:

Sorry man! My English isn't that good.

You have no idea how many times I've written glEnable(GL_LIGHTNING); in my projects. lol
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby eatcomics on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:37 pm

bbguimaraes wrote:Great video, guys. This format is perfect for me, specially if it doesn't take too much time from devin' (because we all know there is never enough time for that). I'm just hoping no mortal injuries happen to any of you. The look on your faces sometimes scare me, mainly because I've been there too.

While I've definitely been enjoying the series I have to whole-heartedly agree. The last thing you guys need is to burn yourselves out. But hey, we've all been there trying to reach a deadline or achieve something great. But just be sure to take a step back if you need to.

No one is going to berate you if you take off a weekend to sleep.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby Falco Girgis on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:10 pm

WHO THE FUCK NEEDS SLEEP WHEN YOU HAVE AMPHETAMINES!?!

But seriously. I sleep 10 hours during the week, work out almost every day, and eat almost exclusively health foods. I'll live.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby eatcomics on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:07 pm

Falco Girgis wrote:WHO THE FUCK NEEDS SLEEP WHEN YOU HAVE AMPHETAMINES!?!

But seriously. I sleep 10 hours during the week, work out almost every day, and eat almost exclusively health foods. I'll live.

Well damn son. Wish we could all have your schedule of ridiculous health. Course I skipped classes and got about 12 hours of sleep today, so that was nice.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby YourNerdyJoe on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:29 pm

superLED wrote:You have no idea how many times I've written glEnable(GL_LIGHTNING); in my projects. lol

Now there's something they need to include in the opengl 4.5 spec
Let's see directx compete with that :lol:
YourNerdyJoe
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Postby bbguimaraes on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Falco Girgis wrote:But seriously. I sleep 10 hours during the week, work out almost every day, and eat almost exclusively health foods. I'll live.

Ten hours a day? Envy... Is that workout-related? I also workout everyday (ok, not in the weekends) and I find ten hours to be the appropriate amount of sleep (I can't keep up with eight hours for more than a few days). Sorry to hijack the thread, but that's the first time I see someone else saying this.
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Next

Return to Community News