Adventures in Game Development Chapter 21

Latest news covering the Elysian Shadows project, The Chaos Rift forums, and our affiliate developers and projects. News also appears in the website's new section.

Moderators: News Mods, Elysian Shadows Team

Re: Adventures in Game Development Chapter 21

Postby Falco Girgis on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:08 pm

Nokurn wrote: I thought it was interesting that you are prototyping in Lua, with the option of incorporating the implementation into the engine. Do you find this workflow faster than just writing it in C or C++ the first time? Are you treating C++ implementation as premature optimization, and opting to only write things that aren't performing in Lua in C++?
Whether it's faster or not really depends... I know C and C++ better than I know english, so nothing is ever faster than writing in those two for me; however, most people are not weird like me, and for the rest of the team, yes, beginning in Lua is far quicker. Also, universally, even for me, it's far easier to just "change" existing behavior to tweak to perfection if it has been implemented in Lua, since it does not require recompilation or producing a new build.

No, C++ is not a premature optimization at all. The engine is still doing 90% of the heavy lifting, and I have developed a complex trigger-based system that keeps per-frame logic and expensive conditional checks in the engine, which then only invokes Lua scripts for exception handling and specific triggers.

It is not at all plausible to do so much in Lua and so little in statically compiled languages with an engine targeting the platforms we are targeting. You have just been exposed to Tyler's workflow, and he works exclusively in Lua. The shader work that I demonstrated was all in straight C (not plus plus) within libGyro and used GLSL.
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby James Evesque on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:16 pm

Hello, I am James Evesque, I created an account just now to post on the forum though I visit on occasion.

I have been watching Adventures in Game Development almost since the beginning, and the return to the old format was just perfect. I am currently getting a degree from ITT-Tech for software development, though I have been writing software for almost 10 years. (I just want it on my resume.) AiGD inspired me to work on my own engine as a way to develop as a software engineer, and though I am not even close to a useful engine due to constantly re-writing it or scraping it completely, the experience has made me a smarter and better developer. I am a C programmer currently living in Alabama. My 'primary' language is C++, though I write C every chance I get in my personal projects because I am a sadistic bastard who loves pointers. I also write C# when I have to and just enough Java to wrap my code for Android's NDK. My scripting language of choice is Lua.

I would like to personally thank you Falco for taking the time to put videos up in the first place, and to continue to do so now. I hate to imagine it but I don't think I would have gotten this far without them.

On a side note, I live in Alabama, the raccoon clip almost caused me to die laughing.

I hope to use this spark of rare initiative in posting online as a start to being more social in my programming life and to stay more up to date on ES, the project that gave me the drive to do what others think is stupid or impossible.
418 |
419 | #ifndef __cplusplus
420 | #define fucks_given 0
421 | #endif
422 |
James Evesque
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby dandymcgee on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Hey James, thanks for joining just to post that! Hope to see you around in the future. Welcome to the forums.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby Falco Girgis on Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:49 pm

Welcome, James! I'm flattered to have somehow had such a positive effect on your life! Also, before I say anything else, your signature is so fucking awesome. :lol:

I too am a huge C fan, and I write in it all the goddamn time... When I work on ES, I have libGyro and the engine in the same Qt Creator project, so I'm switching between C++11 and C99 several times a minute. Keeps me sharp and prevents me from establishing a comfort zone with one particular paradigm. :mrgreen:

So what part of Alabama are you from? It's a small world... I can't believe there are other people who do these kinds of things in Alabama, because let's face it... We're mostly rednecks and morons out here... What school do you go to? I'm working on my masters in CPE at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.

If you're ever in the Huntsville area for whatever reason, you should come dev with us and guest star in an AiGD chapter. Don't be shy. ;)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby James Evesque on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:01 pm

dandymcgee wrote:Hey James, thanks for joining just to post that! Hope to see you around in the future. Welcome to the forums.

Thanks I am going to try to be active daily!

Falco Girgis wrote:Welcome, James! I'm flattered to have somehow had such a positive effect on your life! Also, before I say anything else, your signature is so fucking awesome. :lol:

Thank you! I was hoping you would like it.

Falco Girgis wrote:I too am a huge C fan, and I write in it all the goddamn time... When I work on ES, I have libGyro and the engine in the same Qt Creator project, so I'm switching between C++11 and C99 several times a minute. Keeps me sharp and prevents me from establishing a comfort zone with one particular paradigm. :mrgreen:

That is really awesome, I will use and write C code to interface with two projects of different languages, like C++ and C# or even Java. It just makes sense, and I get to write C, win/win.

Falco Girgis wrote:So what part of Alabama are you from? It's a small world... I can't believe there are other people who do these kinds of things in Alabama, because let's face it... We're mostly rednecks and morons out here... What school do you go to? I'm working on my masters in CPE at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.

I currently live near Birmingham, going to the Bessemer ITT-Tech campus for software development. I always thought I was pretty much alone in Alabama until I found the videos a few years ago, I would not have believed it otherwise.

Falco Girgis wrote:If you're ever in the Huntsville area for whatever reason, you should come dev with us and guest star in an AiGD chapter. Don't be shy. ;)

I will go out of my way to dev with you guys if you let me, I don't care if I have to get a part time job just to pay for gas. Being the only developer I know, I have reached my limit on what I can learn on my own. If you ever want an extra hand, I would be honored. I won't lie, I have thought about it many times.
418 |
421 | #endif
422 |
James Evesque
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby Falco Girgis on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Fuck yeah, dude.

Obviously I can't just offer you a position on team ES, but we're a very friendly, open group of people to outsiders. You're welcome to come hang out with us, work on your own stuff, check out ES, beta test things, and give opinions... and you will definitely see things we don't want YouTube seeing. That's how our relationship was with James and Jarrod on that last few AiGD chapters... just a couple of fellow developers hanging out.

Seriously, Chapter 21 is not any kind of exception... That's what we do with our weekends... every weekend... If you could make the drive up here on one of them, you're more than welcome to fight the good fight with us.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby James Evesque on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:34 pm

Hell yea I will come hang out! That sounds fantastic! Just message me the times and the places. I will figure out a way to make it work.
418 |
421 | #endif
422 |
James Evesque
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby Falco Girgis on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Haha, alrighty. So next Friday, 6PM at my place. Feel free to show up and crash on the couch if you want. :lol:

Bring your dev game. PMing you the address.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby Albionremain on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:40 pm

Hmm... sounds like we may have a guest star for Chapter 22. You'll need a sleeping bag, case of Rip-Its, some handwarmers and an unwavering conviction to see your code be given life. #PolicyofPristinity
"Oh, it works... just not the way anyone wants or expects it to."
Albionremain
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Postby James Evesque on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:16 pm

Can't wait! Guess I need to go buy some things. haha.
418 |
421 | #endif
422 |
James Evesque
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby Albionremain on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:21 pm

Rip-Its and the conviction are the only two required, rest is supplementary. Hell, we may be able to go see what Peter is up to, although you would need handwarmers for that haha.
"Oh, it works... just not the way anyone wants or expects it to."
Albionremain
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Postby James Evesque on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:57 pm

I can't wait to meet everyone. Not sure if I should ask... what is Peter doing? (feel odd talking about someone who does not know who I am.)
418 |
421 | #endif
422 |
James Evesque
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby Falco Girgis on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:58 pm

James Evesque wrote:I can't wait to meet everyone. Not sure if I should ask... what is Peter doing? (feel odd talking about someone who does not know who I am.)
Probably absolutely fucking nothing... His head is up his girlfriend's ass... He lives literally right down the road, and I never see him anymore. Let's pay him a visit. ;)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby EddieRingle on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:13 am

Well shoot. If I had known Studio Vorbis doubles as a weekend hacker hostel I would've added it as a stop on my road trips to Arkansas a long time ago.
EddieRingle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Postby Falco Girgis on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:27 am

EddieRingle wrote:Well shoot. If I had known Studio Vorbis doubles as a weekend hacker hostel I would've added it as a stop on my road trips to Arkansas a long time ago.
Now you know... This is a sacred haven for dysfunctional developers.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

PreviousNext

Return to Community News