Elysian Shadows on the OUYA

Latest news covering the Elysian Shadows project, The Chaos Rift forums, and our affiliate developers and projects. News also appears in the website's new section.

Moderators: News Mods, Elysian Shadows Team

Re: Elysian Shadows on the OUYA

Postby MarauderIIC on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:10 pm

Falco Girgis wrote:Since when did he actually LIKE our shit? :lol:
Obviously getting laid wasn't the catalyst.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Postby Falco Girgis on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:13 am

...and we lost! With dignity, though. Thank you all so much for taking the time out of your day to support us.

I actually didn't realize they were picking entries from so far back. The guys who won day #10 entered on Dec 2nd, so they had quite a bit more time to build up steam. Not to belittle them, though. I did some stalking and Starbound looks absolutely fucking awesome. You guys should check it out: http://playstarbound.com/procedurally-generated-guns-pewpew/#comments.

Anyway, we really should have entered it sooner. I had a false sense of how well we were doing when I looked at just the entries over the last couple days.

Oh, and this doesn't mean we won't get the $99 devkit when it comes out either. ;)
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby EdBoon on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:05 am

Yea, getting in earlier might have been a different story, but not bad at all for 1 days notice. Starbound actually does look pretty sweet.
Wonder how the ouya will do. I almost got the dev kit back when it was on kickstarter but figured there is enough to do without jumping on to a new platform. Bought a mac thinking to port over to iphone back in Jan, and it's just turned into a final cut pro machine.
Glad to see you guys enter though, never know until you try.
Was it based solely on RT? or was it selected by design from ouya staff?
Undead Empire -> http://bit.ly/dYdu3z
Gamerscore Tracker -> http://bit.ly/vI4T4X
Undead Empire: Hellfire -> http://bit.ly/1AgC4ZY
facebook.com/BigRookGames twitter.com/BigRookGames
youtube.com/user/bigrookdigital
EdBoon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby Falco Girgis on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:17 pm

EdBoon wrote:Yea, getting in earlier might have been a different story, but not bad at all for 1 days notice. Starbound actually does look pretty sweet.
Wonder how the ouya will do. I almost got the dev kit back when it was on kickstarter but figured there is enough to do without jumping on to a new platform. Bought a mac thinking to port over to iphone back in Jan, and it's just turned into a final cut pro machine.
Glad to see you guys enter though, never know until you try.
Was it based solely on RT? or was it selected by design from ouya staff?
Must have been selected by the staff, because we had more retweets in one day than Starbound had since December 2nd.

But they also had a million people on their forums and stuff all excited about it.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby dandymcgee on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:44 pm

Starbound is a huge project and is essentially the successor to Terraria which was an enormous success. The fact that we beat them for even one day is absolutely amazing. I think the judges made the right choice, but we should use this as fuel to propel ourselves in the direction of our most honorable indie colleagues.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby Falco Girgis on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:55 pm

I think they did too. They have previously established their success, and they have an essentially finished product.

Elysian Shadows is a complete multiplatform development suite at this point in time, but it is nowhere near a complete game. We represent a different area of the arena until we can push further along in the art and level design departments.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby eatcomics on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:21 pm

You guys really did lose with dignity. That was an impressive show with the retweets. And you guys are good sports about the winner. We need more indie dev teams like this. Lift each other up and use what exposure you have to propel you in the future. And this is why I still follow you guys.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby EddieRingle on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:58 am

The OUYA team just posted a short unboxing video of the dev kit:

They also released the ODK and documentation for interfacing with the controller and IAPs and stuff: https://devs.ouya.tv/developers

It looks like the ODK is Java-only at the moment, so in order to use it with a native app you'll have to do some icky JNI stuff, but they've said they're working on a wrapper that handles this for you.

Also, it appears my dev kit is out for delivery and I should get it today. :D
EddieRingle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Postby DistortedLance on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Unless I'm getting my information wrong, it seems there is a ton of ignorant people on Youtube who think this is just Android in a box. Humanity is failing me.
DistortedLance
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby TheBuzzSaw on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:16 am

EddieRingle wrote:It looks like the ODK is Java-only at the moment, so in order to use it with a native app you'll have to do some icky JNI stuff, but they've said they're working on a wrapper that handles this for you.

Really? Does it say that? Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) is way past supporting the NativeActivity. The OUYA team would have had to explicitly removed it. That makes me a sad panda.

DistortedLance wrote:Unless I'm getting my information wrong, it seems there is a ton of ignorant people on Youtube who think this is just Android in a box. Humanity is failing me.

I fought with tons of people there in the comments right when the video went up. The ignorance is at an all-time high. Everyone is mentally incapable of separating Android the operating system from Google Play's phone/tablet game selection. The slightly smarter people cannot understand the appeal otherwise: "I just plug in a TV and a controller to my PC. Why do I need an OUYA?" *facepalm*
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby Falco Girgis on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:30 pm

TheBuzzSaw wrote:
DistortedLance wrote:Unless I'm getting my information wrong, it seems there is a ton of ignorant people on Youtube who think this is just Android in a box. Humanity is failing me.

I fought with tons of people there in the comments right when the video went up. The ignorance is at an all-time high. Everyone is mentally incapable of separating Android the operating system from Google Play's phone/tablet game selection. The slightly smarter people cannot understand the appeal otherwise: "I just plug in a TV and a controller to my PC. Why do I need an OUYA?" *facepalm*
Yeah, even when we were asking for retweets/favorites, we got a bunch of people saying "why do you need that devkit? Just use a Droid phone." It's annoying as shit...
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby EddieRingle on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:21 pm

TheBuzzSaw wrote:
EddieRingle wrote:It looks like the ODK is Java-only at the moment, so in order to use it with a native app you'll have to do some icky JNI stuff, but they've said they're working on a wrapper that handles this for you.

Really? Does it say that? Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) is way past supporting the NativeActivity. The OUYA team would have had to explicitly removed it. That makes me a sad panda.

You can still develop using a NativeActivity via the NDK just as you would with any other Android device. Only their SDK (for interfacing with the controller and stuff) is currently Java-only.

In other news, I just opened my dev kit up and plugged 'er in. Loaded an old game I wrote awhile ago that only supports 800x480 screens. Looked and played awful, but it was awesome. :D
EddieRingle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Postby EddieRingle on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:41 pm

Also, for those that want to see it, I'm keeping an album on Google+:
https://plus.google.com/112155253067767894424/posts/dgLTooe6DeN
EddieRingle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Postby Falco Girgis on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:36 am

EddieRingle wrote:Also, for those that want to see it, I'm keeping an album on Google+:
Oh shit, son! Wow, it looks awesome!

DId you buy this? How much did you pay? Was this part of a Kickstarter contribution?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby EddieRingle on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:57 am

Falco Girgis wrote:
EddieRingle wrote:Also, for those that want to see it, I'm keeping an album on Google+:
Oh shit, son! Wow, it looks awesome!

DId you buy this? How much did you pay? Was this part of a Kickstarter contribution?

Yeah! I pledged $699 for the developer tier on Kickstarter.
EddieRingle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Community News