Side effects of board maintenance

Latest news covering the Elysian Shadows project, The Chaos Rift forums, and our affiliate developers and projects. News also appears in the website's new section.

Moderators: News Mods, Elysian Shadows Team

Side effects of board maintenance

Postby MarauderIIC on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Hey guys -

FYI I've been screwing around with the styles in an attempt to get the Q&A captcha working in order to reduce the number of spambots that can register, since Q&A is crazy effective. Looks like I need FTP access in order to fix it, which means that I'm waiting either on dan to do it or for the login. In the meantime, you may have seen or be affected by me screwing around.

In particular, if you had set your default forum viewing style to something that isn't "voxel", it may have changed back to "voxel". Just go to the User Control Panel to change it back. Also, besides breaking the Q&A captcha, the voxel style breaks PM viewing -- and since we can't maintain it without a $50 subscription, it'll probably be going away. This means that we'll have a disconnect between the forum style and the website style, which is a small price to pay for less spambots.

On a related note, I can't stand problems that go unfixed ;)

-Alex
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Side effects of board maintenance

Postby MarauderIIC on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:08 am

There, got it. Looks like all I had to do was update the prosilver style. Voxel appears to use it as a template, so user registration and PMs also work for the voxel style, too -- no need to get rid of it. We now have a single strong anti-spambot question that I ask you to not post the answer to (because spambots use google) :). Reminder to admins: if it looks like spambots have figured it out -- that is, they're registering after 16 October 11:15A Eastern, delete the current question and make a new strong one.

Your preferred board viewing setting may have changed again. Post here if there are any other problems that you find with the board that might be an effect of my update.
As dan said, we'll be pruning users with zero posts. But after we get most of the bots we should be able to stop for a while since there shouldn't be any new ones.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Postby MarauderIIC_test on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:09 am

(See? User registration works with the Q&A countermeasure!)
MarauderIIC_test

Postby dandymcgee on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:32 am

MarauderIIC_test wrote:(See? User registration works with the Q&A countermeasure!)

Awesome, thanks a lot for the help Mar. Hopefully the number of pesky bots dies down (not that anyone besides us saw them with the moderation queue in place). Also, the benefit of the moderation queue is even bots who have posted still have 0 posts until I approve them, so it's easy to bulk delete.

Edit - Love the registration question.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby MarauderIIC on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:37 am

dandymcgee wrote:(not that anyone besides us saw them with the moderation queue in place).

Which you might be able to get rid of.
Edit - Love the registration question.

Thanks.

Not sure how your board update missed updating the default phpbb style.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Postby dandymcgee on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:51 pm

MarauderIIC wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:(not that anyone besides us saw them with the moderation queue in place).

Which you might be able to get rid of.

It's only on the first post an account ever makes, so it makes sense to keep it for now IMHO.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Return to Community News