New Website Launch and Forum Look

Latest news covering the Elysian Shadows project, The Chaos Rift forums, and our affiliate developers and projects. News also appears in the website's new section.

Moderators: News Mods, Elysian Shadows Team

New Website Launch and Forum Look

Postby JamesParkes on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:04 am

Let us know what you think! We have been hard at work putting this together and want to hear your feedback. If you experience any problems in the following days please notify us immediately so we can fix it.

Thanks,
James and the Elysian Shadows Team
James Parkes
Computer Programmer, Graphic Artist

Email: parkesrjames@gmail.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/parkesrjames
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/parkesrjames
Portfolio: http://james.parkesnet.org
JamesParkes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: New Website Launch and Forum Look

Postby Nokurn on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:44 am

I like the new look. There's just a few things I've noticed right off:
  • Combo boxes are really dark, and the text color is too close to the background color. At first I thought they were disabled.
  • The "Last post" column on the index page no longer shows the title of the newest post... Maybe this is intentional, but I've never understood why some people do this with their themes. I find it much easier to interpret if the title is visible.
  • The main web site's index page doesn't seem to link to the full article. I didn't know that there was more to the "Elysian Shadows Website Launch" post until I clicked on it in the ticker thing.
  • A way to increase the size of the editor's font without zooming the whole page would be nice. At least on Windows, the monospace font used is painful at this size. Once again, this might just be me. I typically prefer my monospace fonts at least one size larger than my proportional fonts.
  • I'm not entirely sure how I feel about blue text for posts. I'll probably do a personal patch for that.
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Postby dandymcgee on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:58 am

Thank you for your constructive feedback Nokurn! We'll be tweaking various things in the coming days, so your honest thoughts are quite helpful. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby bbguimaraes on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:01 am

Wow, nice job! The forum looks much better, though a part of me misses the old-school look. But I guess at some point we have to move on.

Two things I noticed right away (I'll post others, as I see them):
  • The orange little page on the left side of posts which had new replies was good. The white one doesn't stick out so much.
  • Same thing as Nokurn about the blue text.
But combo boxes look alright here in Ubuntu, so I guess it's a problem with windows' theme and the new look.

And did the old preview button show new posts after I started typing the reply? Because that is SUPER awesome!
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby JamesParkes on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:12 am

the feedback is great guys, thanks! i already have a good start on some of the stuff you mentioned Nokurn ... the blue text is for the most recent post (but im not 100% on it either). you will see some more positive changes in the coming days :mrgreen:
James Parkes

JamesParkes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby Falco Girgis on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:17 pm

The only thing I really miss is the "last topic posted in" on the index page. If I recall correctly, that wasn't even standard in phpBB, though. We had a custom phpBB pluggin to do that.
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby DistortedLance on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:31 pm

It's certainly a little painful to type up replies - the font size (at least in Windows) is pretty tiny.

As for the main page, a "Read More" button at the bottom of the "Elysian Shadows Website Launch" snippet would be nice. Currently, the only way to access the full article is by going to either the News tab or clicking on "Read More" in the scrolling news banner. I'm not sure if it's intended, but I think it would be nice to give it just a little more accessible.

Other than that, <3 the new website. It's very trendy. I was expecting everything to be in periwinkle purple, though ^_^
DistortedLance
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby thejahooli on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:50 pm

The only new aspect which is annoying me at the moment is that the blue colour used to show that a topic has unread posts is not particularly easy to distinguish from the black colour used when all posts have been read.
I'll make your software hardware.
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby Arce on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:56 pm

though a part of me misses the old-school look. But I guess at some point we have to move on.

Actually, if you go to "user preferences" you can change the theme back to silver, or elysian_dark. I had elysian_dark as my default, so I didn't even notice the change at first! XD

I really love the new, integrated feel of the forums into the website. Before, there was the black "site" and then there was the forums, with no real connection to each other.

Thanks for the feedback, and everybody give a big round of applause for Dan, Jarrod and James!
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Arce
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Postby DistortedLance on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:35 pm

I'm not sure if I'm inattentive (or just stupid), but it seems to me that unread posts are no longer indicated when viewing the index (i.e., just before this post, "Community News" said "Arce" under the last post, but the page icon wasn't a different color to indicate that it was unread). A colored page icon (I think blue would fit the current style :D) along with the thread title being shown in the index were helpful at times.

I know it only takes one extra click to see everything, but...I'm lazy, hehe.

EDIT: Whoa! Clicking on topics now directs you to the front page rather than the latest post! That was something that always sort of bugged me. Yayz.

@Arce:*applause* I definitely agree with the integrated feel. It's much cleaner and smoother than before.
DistortedLance
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby bbguimaraes on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:40 pm

DistortedLance wrote:I'm not sure if I'm inattentive (or just stupid) [...]

You think you're stupid? I just noticed this now! And it's in the title of this post!
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby Arce on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:15 pm

I'm not sure if I'm inattentive (or just stupid), but it seems to me that unread posts are no longer indicated when viewing the index

I thought the same...for a second. The difference is that the unread indicator is on the right side, instead of the left. It's in the form of a blue icon that darkens for unread posts (triangle, bottom corner).
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Arce
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Postby Nokurn on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:01 am

bbguimaraes wrote:But combo boxes look alright here in Ubuntu, so I guess it's a problem with windows' theme and the new look.

The text seems darker now than it did at first. I don't have a screenshot from before, but here is what they currently look like, for comparison. The background still looks a little too dark to me.
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Postby JamesParkes on Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:04 am

i fixed the blue text on the most recent posts.

@Nokurn - you are just using the default board template?
James Parkes

JamesParkes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby Nokurn on Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:54 am

JamesParkes wrote:@Nokurn - you are just using the default board template?

I am using the board style labeled "voxel".
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Next

Return to Community News