The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Latest news covering the Elysian Shadows project, The Chaos Rift forums, and our affiliate developers and projects. News also appears in the website's new section.

Moderators: News Mods, Elysian Shadows Team

Re: The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Postby Falco Girgis on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:26 am

short wrote:I've been waiting so long for these! Time to pound some Costco beers and watch the fun!

Seriously though, welcome back!!
Let me know what you think!

And jeeeesus, when did that rank happen? :shock2:
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Image
User avatar
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
 
Posts: 10690
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 3:04 pm
Location: Studio Vorbis, AL

Re: The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Postby Thel on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:28 am

Excellent videos! San’s music is very good…he def has his own style! It’s a joy to see intelligent people convene w/ the common goal of consummating uncommon ideas! This is the type of atmosphere that the best videogames came out of! Fuck “AAA”!
Thel
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Postby blackball2186 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:09 pm

Thel wrote:Excellent videos! San’s music is very good…he def has his own style! It’s a joy to see intelligent people convene w/ the common goal of consummating uncommon ideas! This is the type of atmosphere that the best videogames came out of! Fuck “AAA”!


Indie game development is stronger now than ever... as soon as cloud gaming reaches all the masses and we do away with the console wars , we will see a whole new world of Indie developers.... Viva La Revolucio'n

Awesome vids by the way :dreamcast:
User avatar
blackball2186
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:26 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Postby tappatekie on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:13 pm

When Falco said that he wanted the user to be able to go around the map quickly, it got me pondering of a feature you probably could impliment? Maybe have like a "Favourite" list and when you click on an item, it quickly warps you to that location on the map in the editor.
tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:01 pm
Location: A house near me

Re: The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Postby superLED on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:30 pm

tappatekie wrote:When Falco said that he wanted the user to be able to go around the map quickly, it got me pondering of a feature you probably could impliment? Maybe have like a "Favourite" list and when you click on an item, it quickly warps you to that location on the map in the editor.

Or maybe click a button to zoom WAAAY out, click on your desired place, and it zooms into that area.
User avatar
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:56 pm
Location: Norway

Re: The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Postby tappatekie on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:32 pm

superLED wrote:
tappatekie wrote:When Falco said that he wanted the user to be able to go around the map quickly, it got me pondering of a feature you probably could impliment? Maybe have like a "Favourite" list and when you click on an item, it quickly warps you to that location on the map in the editor.

Or maybe click a button to zoom WAAAY out, click on your desired place, and it zooms into that area.


Just a guess but, would that be slower? since theres more to render
tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:01 pm
Location: A house near me

Re: The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Postby Falco Girgis on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:36 pm

superLED wrote:
tappatekie wrote:When Falco said that he wanted the user to be able to go around the map quickly, it got me pondering of a feature you probably could impliment? Maybe have like a "Favourite" list and when you click on an item, it quickly warps you to that location on the map in the editor.

Or maybe click a button to zoom WAAAY out, click on your desired place, and it zooms into that area.
What the fuck? ...That's exactly what we have.
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Image
User avatar
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
 
Posts: 10690
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 3:04 pm
Location: Studio Vorbis, AL

Re: The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Postby tappatekie on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:38 pm

Which one, the list or the zoom?
tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:01 pm
Location: A house near me

Re: The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Postby blackball2186 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:49 pm

How about a feature that would allow you to quickly change a tile/ selection of tiles to another tile without having to go through the map and select them all . for example, you select the tile you initially want to change, then right click, choose and option called "select all " or something similar, and a window would pop up asking you for the tile you want to change it to, and every tile in the map would automatically change to the new tile, and the tile sheet would automatically update to the new tile, hope that makes sense to everyone
User avatar
blackball2186
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:26 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Postby tappatekie on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:52 pm

blackball2186 wrote:How about a feature that would allow you to quickly change a tile/ selection of tiles to another tile without having to go through the map and select them all . for example, you select the tile you initially want to change, then right click, choose and option called "select all " or something similar, and a window would pop up asking you for the tile you want to change it to, and every tile in the map would automatically change to the new tile, and the tile sheet would automatically update to the new tile, hope that makes sense to everyone


So its effectively a fill all function?
tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:01 pm
Location: A house near me

Re: The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Postby blackball2186 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:19 pm

pretty much, theres other things you could do with this later on down the road in the game development, like adding a poison condition to swamp tiles based off of all the coordinates that are listed for each tile, or burn damage for fire based tiles, or heck why stop with damage, maybe implement a sneak mechanic into the game and any tile that has shadows would effectively make you harder to spot
User avatar
blackball2186
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:26 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Postby JarrodParkes on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:09 pm

One of the functions that will be added as we get closer to implementing all components includes a "Find" for entities. This behavior exists in Unity and is something we wanted to include in ESTk as well. This is how it works:

(1) select an entity in the Map View or Entity View
(2) press "F"
(3) the Map View zooms and centers on the entity
User avatar
JarrodParkes
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:39 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA

Re: The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Postby MadPumpkin on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:11 pm

Love it all! Everything looks like it's moving fantastic now, and the editor looks sick as fuck. JarrodParkes yea, Blender has the same functionality (same hot key too) so I implemented it in my long since working editor.
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:48 pm
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Re: The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Postby Falco Girgis on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:24 am

ENCORE!!!!


Adventures in Game Development: The Lost Chapter :mrgreen:
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Image
User avatar
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
 
Posts: 10690
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 3:04 pm
Location: Studio Vorbis, AL

Re: The Adventures in Game Development Returns

Postby tappatekie on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:08 am

*Liked*
tappatekie
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:01 pm
Location: A house near me

PreviousNext

Return to Community News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron