New Rad Raygun video

Latest news covering the Elysian Shadows project, The Chaos Rift forums, and our affiliate developers and projects. News also appears in the website's new section.

Moderators: News Mods, Elysian Shadows Team

New Rad Raygun video

Postby trufun202 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:26 pm

Hey guys,

I finally got around to recording a new YouTube video. In this episode I show off the color adjustment system, the copy/paste feature, and you get a sneak peak at the first level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw115GByWGk

Enjoy! :mrgreen:
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Re: New Rad Raygun video

Postby LeonBlade on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:22 am

I posted a comment on the video, but again like I said there great job.
This project is one of my favorites to follow because everything just looks so solid.
Great work, can't wait to see more. :)
There's no place like ~/
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Postby Falco Girgis on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:27 am

Too bad that Youtube is blocked at work... Although you definitely did get one thing right... You were way past due for an update. :mrgreen:
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby trufun202 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:18 am

GyroVorbis wrote:You were way past due for an update. :mrgreen:

lol, why I oughta...

Right back atcha. ;)
-Chris

trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Postby N64vSNES on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:53 pm

That was EPIC!

I honestly can't wait to see the end product. I haven't seen someone attempt something so retro styled since...well ever.

I think I'll sign up to twitter specifically to follow this project ;)

Keep it up! :)
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Postby dandymcgee on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:02 pm

Goddamn trufun. I really love how far you've made it with Rad Raygun. The demo of the first level felt like a solid intro to a very well polished and fun game. Thanks for the update! Keep doing what you do.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby Falco Girgis on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:39 pm

Wow, dude. That was really fucking awesome. Consider me inspired, and hopefully your shout-out to Marcel will encourage him to stay off his ass as well. :mrgreen:

It's really funny that you recently implemented a "palette shift" of sorts in the video. We are in the middle of implementing palette support into LibGyro (so that tiles CAN use it, but it won't be enforced in ES) to allow for fancy palette shift effects as you have done and reduce overall VRAM usage. I asked the question on your video, but I didn't want to go into detail. Is your artist enforcing the color palette and storing the texture as a normal 16/32bpp texture, or is it actually stored as a 2bpp texture (that's some insane compression) and you are defining the 4 color palette completely in-game?

Speaking of Toolkits, I do believe that we have implemented a few features that were inspired by your Toolkit as well.

edit: AND OMFG, YOU NEED A VIRTUAL BOY LEVEL.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby AerisAndMe on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:18 pm

Hey, awesome video! I just watched over Falco's shoulder. I totally dig the MegaMan style gameplay. Your artist and musicians are on top of their shit, too. The fire animations looked stellar, and the traditional 8-bit-sounding music was REALLY something!

Loved it!
AerisAndMe
ES Software Engineer
ES Software Engineer

Postby Arce on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:05 am

Thanks for the shoutout! I thought I was the only person who understood why my selection system was innovation, not half-assedness. XD I particularly liked how you explained your other proposed solution. That's a great way to make the viewer contemplate some of the surrounding issues without having to explicitly state them. You didn't have to do any hardcore UI revamps, and level designers can now make huge repetitions. Win win! =D

Ironically, I've got a recent addition inspired from you and already have a counter-shoutout lined up. Guess you'll have to wait until the vid to see which feature I stole, eh? :mrgreen:

And man, the gameplay at the end is truly inspirational. Megaman 2's the game I play when I need a cup o' motivation, and you've hit the spot with a unique touche. Loving the scroll when he falls! That's always been the best way to go about it. Oh, and the guy at the end's a badass.

I'm defiantly going to be following this project more closely, thanks alot for posting here!
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Arce
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Postby Kyosaur on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:46 am

Hated it.

Im only kidding of course. The game is looking bad ass man, your doing an excellent job. I do wish there was some more code segments like past videos though (wait am i mistaking videos series? I might be mixing this up for your lemonade stand game-either way though :P).

Keep up the good work, I'll be stalking you on twitter :D.
Kyosaur
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Postby trufun202 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:58 am

Thanks for the love, everybody! I really appreciate it. Your interest and comments are a huge motivator! :mrgreen:

GyroVorbis wrote:Is your artist enforcing the color palette and storing the texture as a normal 16/32bpp texture, or is it actually stored as a 2bpp texture (that's some insane compression) and you are defining the 4 color palette completely in-game?

(I posted this on YouTube, but for the sake of consistency, I'll post it here as well) We're actually using 32-bit PNGs, which is incredibly inefficient. :P But the thought is that this editor can be used to build any PC / 360 side scroller, regardless of the color palette.

GyroVorbis wrote:AND OMFG, YOU NEED A VIRTUAL BOY LEVEL.

Yessir, at this point, we almost have to! XD

AerisAndMe wrote:Hey, awesome video! I just watched over Falco's shoulder. I totally dig the MegaMan style gameplay. Your artist and musicians are on top of their shit, too. The fire animations looked stellar, and the traditional 8-bit-sounding music was REALLY something!

Loved it!

Agreed! This is the first time that I've really assembled a team to develop a game. (I'm usually a one-man show) I can't praise these guys enough, they produce some amazing work, and we're all on the same page, which goes a long way!

Arce wrote:Ironically, I've got a recent addition inspired from you and already have a counter-shoutout lined up. Guess you'll have to wait until the vid to see which feature I stole, eh? :mrgreen:

Bring it!! :twisted:

Kyosaur wrote:I do wish there was some more code segments like past videos though

I almost put one in this video, but I replaced it with the copy/paste segment. I'll be sure to do a code review in the next video. ;)
-Chris

trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Postby Falco Girgis on Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:18 am

trufun202 wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:Is your artist enforcing the color palette and storing the texture as a normal 16/32bpp texture, or is it actually stored as a 2bpp texture (that's some insane compression) and you are defining the 4 color palette completely in-game?

(I posted this on YouTube, but for the sake of consistency, I'll post it here as well) We're actually using 32-bit PNGs, which is incredibly inefficient. :P But the thought is that this editor can be used to build any PC / 360 side scroller, regardless of the color palette.
Yeah, and it's not like you are ever going to run out of VRAM in hell on the 360. The only reason we're doing it, is because we are definitely going to be pushing it on the DC and PSP with animations, and they both support palettes in hardware (I have no idea if the current generation hardware still offers that). Oh, and we want to do some cool Megaman-style palette shifting like you've done.

I think you're going to steal a bunch of Capcom's Megaman 9 and 10 crowd with Rad Raygun. And I think they deserve it after canceling Megaman Legends 3. :mrgreen:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby short on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Holy crap dude, VERY awesome job! So polished and clean, and the copy/paste is awesome!

I'm definitely going to keep following you, and when I get some time I'll go back and watch all your old videos leading up.

Oh, for anyone else who wants to follow via rss feed (google reader) here's the rss link:

http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/trufun202.rss
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby trufun202 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:16 am

For the record, those comments from "trufun303" are from the game's Art Director. I thought I had an imposter this morning, and half-way told him off on YouTube. (oops!)

I talked to him at work to confirm that he is who he says he is. :lol:
-Chris

trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Postby Trask on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Perhaps you already went over this, I'd have to rewatch your videos, but where did find your dev group? Anybody local or did you luck out on some contacts over the internet that turned out to be good people?
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.

Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!

Martin Golding wrote:"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Next

Return to Community News