Corruption In Gaming Journalism: The Quinnspiracy

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Corruption In Gaming Journalism: The Quinnspiracy

Post by dandymcgee »

Accy wrote: I don't give a fuck about any of the sites in question. The issue is that their preconceived ideas of what games are can affect actual game developers. The game Divinity: Original Sin really suffered because of them. And I think you can imagine how many companies won't want a site with 20+ million visitors to talk shit about them, and will do whatever they say.
I completely agree with this statement, but you have to realize this is *not* specific to game development in any way. Most mainstream media channels cover bullshit stories and impart preconceived ideas on the general, ignorant public. It's a serious problem and always has been.
This is the exact reason I choose to go elsewhere for my news, reviews, and opinion pieces.

You basically have two choices:
1) Develop the game you want to develop but accept the fact that MANY people won't like everything about it, some will straight up hate it, and others will just not give a shit about it. (Antichamber)
2) Develop a game for the masses, profit wildly, but the accept the fact your idea has been so bastardized for the mainstream audience it's hardly recognizable. (FarmVille)

The third option is not an option you can choose, but rather something that just happens out of pure, shit luck: develop the game you love AND the world ends up loving as well (Minecraft)

There's always going to be someone to shit all over your hard work. At the end of the day, you need only ask yourself where you want your allegiances to lie: money or pride.
Sometimes pride brings money (Minecraft),
Sometimes money brings pride (Zynga is probably proud of their hugely profitable empire of shitty games),
but if I only get to choose one, I'd rather have pride.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Benjamin100 »

Ha! Here's a new pic from Falco;
http://instagram.com/p/ttelJ2smlR/
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

Benjamin100 wrote:Ha! Here's a new pic from Falco;
I hope that photo is photoshopped.
Accy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Accy »

S-so... did he get laid?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Accy wrote:
S-so... did he get laid?
Unless she got hired by Kotaku does it even matter?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Uh, so after partying down with Zoe Quinn over the weekend...

She's a really nice girl. She's also a knowledgeable developer. Maybe she did bad things. Maybe she didn't. I don't know, and I honestly don't give a shit. I'm a gamer, and I want to hear about games on gaming sites, not sensationalist bullshit for people looking to stir up controversy.

We talked about shit that actually mattered... Y'know... games, game development, Dreamcast, 3D0, writing, design...

Imrooniel
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Imrooniel »

Holy Mother Theresa on the hood of mercedes benz, Batman! Finally someone logical up in here :D
Accy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Accy »

Falco Girgis wrote:Uh, so after partying down with Zoe Quinn over the weekend...

She's a really nice girl. She's also a knowledgeable developer. Maybe she did bad things. Maybe she didn't. I don't know, and I honestly don't give a shit. I'm a gamer, and I want to hear about games on gaming sites, not sensationalist bullshit for people looking to stir up controversy.

We talked about shit that actually mattered... Y'know... games, game development, Dreamcast, 3D0, writing, design...
This is pretty much the consensus the whole thing has been at for the past month. Nobody really talks about Zoe Quinn anymore, it's more about the journalism itself that everyone wants gone.

Of course, someone spending more time thinking about gamergate than playing/devving video games is kind of a freak. :|