My first Dreamcast

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

blackball2186
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES SNES PS Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C#, C / ++,

My first Dreamcast

Post by blackball2186 »

Im getting my very own Dreamcast this weekend, but i cant figure out which games i should get. Any ideas on what I ought to get?
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: My first Dreamcast

Post by Light-Dark »

blackball2186 wrote:Im getting my very own Dreamcast this weekend, but i cant figure out which games i should get. Any ideas on what I ought to get?
SONIC ADVENTURE
SONIC ADVENTURE 2

:D!
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
Thel
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Thel »

I thought that I might buy a DC (new)...as soon as I can afford one!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Shenmue
Jet grind radio
Quake 3 Arena
Unreal tournament
Samba de amigo
Phantasy Star Online ver2.0
Space channel 5
Resident evil 2, 3, Code Veronica
Grandia 2
Skies of Arcadia
Powerstone 1, 2

I'm definitely missing some gems, but that's off the top of my head.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Haha, that's awesome. I opted to buy a Super Nintento first, as I've never owned one and really wanted to play Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger first-hand. I lost all the consoles I had as a kid so at some point I will be purchasing an NES and a Sega Genesis. I didn't grow up with the pseudo 3D graphics of the N64 or DreamCast, so although I'd like to have those at some point as well, I may find it hard to enjoy that style of graphics considering my lack of nostalgia for them. I do have an Atari 2600 though.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

dandymcgee wrote:Haha, that's awesome. I opted to buy a Super Nintento first, as I've never owned one and really wanted to play Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger first-hand. I lost all the consoles I had as a kid so at some point I will be purchasing an NES and a Sega Genesis. I didn't grow up with the pseudo 3D graphics of the N64 or DreamCast, so although I'd like to have those at some point as well, I may find it hard to enjoy that style of graphics considering my lack of nostalgia for them. I do have an Atari 2600 though.
Dandy, your post made this come to mind: http://qkme.me/3orn7q
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
blackball2186
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by blackball2186 »

Awesome that ought to narrow down my choices dramatically, currently have an Atari, NES, SNES, N64, turbo graphix, msx, neogeo, gameboy ( original big grey brick) , ps1, 2 and 3, Xbox, and wii. I also need to find dragon quest 8 , as I've never played the series and I was recommended to start with that one.
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

On dreamcast Virtua Tennis was the first one that i actually liked, and StreetFighter alpha 2 i think it was, was the first streetfighter i liked. Apart from that I cant even remember what other games i played on dc.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Trask wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:Haha, that's awesome. I opted to buy a Super Nintento first, as I've never owned one and really wanted to play Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger first-hand. I lost all the consoles I had as a kid so at some point I will be purchasing an NES and a Sega Genesis. I didn't grow up with the pseudo 3D graphics of the N64 or DreamCast, so although I'd like to have those at some point as well, I may find it hard to enjoy that style of graphics considering my lack of nostalgia for them. I do have an Atari 2600 though.
Dandy, your post made this come to mind: http://qkme.me/3orn7q
Lol. All the consoles older than 1999 at least. 8-)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
blackball2186
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by blackball2186 »

Thx everybody, just ordered my Dreamcast, along with Sonic adventure and Grandia 2 , cant wait for them to get here :mrgreen:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

What the fuck? Did you just call the Dreamcast's graphics "psuedo 3D?" You also lumped it with the same generation as the N64, even though it is graphically on par with the PS2 and is from the PS2/GC/XBox generation? You're about to get bitch slapped.

ZOMG! FAKE 3D!

Calling the Dreamcast or N64 "psuedo 3D," because you don't like the graphics is the same thing as me calling the NES psuedo 2D. It's completely incorrect. I wouldn't care about the N64, but NOOOOOOBODY talks shit about the Dreamcast in my presence! ;) ;) ;)
blackball2186
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by blackball2186 »

you tell em
VolsporTV
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: The Void
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C/++ and ByondScript

Post by VolsporTV »

Horrid bitch slap there mate. Good job Falco. xD
Dreamcast has amazing graphics, no doubt.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

GyroVorbis wrote:What the fuck? Did you just call the Dreamcast's graphics "psuedo 3D?" You also lumped it with the same generation as the N64, even though it is graphically on par with the PS2 and is from the PS2/GC/XBox generation? You're about to get bitch slapped.
Yes.. most of those are psuedo 3D in my opinion (that entire list of consoles, not the dreamcast screenshots you posted, a few of those are pretty fucking amazing actually). It really depends on the game though. While the first screenshot is obviously low prim, the textures are ridiculously good. Sonic is sonic.. doesn't make any difference what shape he is so long as he's blue with red shoes. Sambo De Amigo is a rhymthm game, so graphics are irrelevant that shit is still fun as hell.

My definition of pseudo 3D as a term i made up on the spot (perhaps you've seen it used otherwise) is noticeably low-primitive 3D objects. There are always exceptions, and no game (or console) should be judged solely on graphics, hence me ALSO saying that I would likely buy one when I am able to try it out for myself (which you conveniently forgot to mention). ;)
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

dandymcgee wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:What the fuck? Did you just call the Dreamcast's graphics "psuedo 3D?" You also lumped it with the same generation as the N64, even though it is graphically on par with the PS2 and is from the PS2/GC/XBox generation? You're about to get bitch slapped.
Yes.. most of those are psuedo 3D in my opinion (that entire list of consoles, not the dreamcast screenshots you posted, a few of those are pretty fucking amazing actually). It really depends on the game though. While the first screenshot is obviously low prim, the textures are ridiculously good. Sonic is sonic.. doesn't make any difference what shape he is so long as he's blue with red shoes. Sambo De Amigo is a rhymthm game, so graphics are irrelevant that shit is still fun as hell.

My definition of pseudo 3D as a term i made up on the spot (perhaps you've seen it used otherwise) is noticeably low-primitive 3D objects. There are always exceptions, and no game (or console) should be judged solely on graphics, hence me ALSO saying that I would likely buy one when I am able to try it out for myself (which you conveniently forgot to mention). ;)
Pseudo 3D... Isn't that what Doom was? And Wolfenstein? It has nothing to do with how low the 'prims' are.
I mean, it looks a lot like it's actual 3D, but it's just a trick for the eye?

If an object/space has a with, height and a depth, it is a 3D object/space, no matter what.