NES Adventure/RPG game recommendations

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Breakout clone, Unnamed 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, XBOX360
Programming Language of Choice: C#

NES Adventure/RPG game recommendations

Post by mattheweston »

I'm about to finish up Zelda: A Link to the Past for the 100th time and was looking for some recommendations for old Adventure or RPG games.

I've played Final Fantasy I, II, and III all the way through several hundred times as well as Chrono Trigger.
All the Zeldas, all the mario bros games, and Castlevania games have been played.

I'm looking for something that I might not have played before. I'm trying to broaden my horizons. =)
Dominger
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Re: NES Adventure/RPG game recommendations

Post by Dominger »

Have you tried Paper Mario for the N64? Absolute blast to play. Its mostly an RPG but feels like an adventure that will make you laugh with its witty humor.
Last edited by Dominger on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

So... what console are you really looking to play games on? :)
mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by mattheweston »

NES or SNES right now. I might get something for XBOX later on.
mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by mattheweston »

No suggestions?
Tvspelsfreak
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Tvspelsfreak »

NES:

Blaster Master
Yeah, it's more on the action side of things with a bit of adventure. But it's great and the soundtrack is awesome (as with all Sunsoft games).

Hebereke (a.k.a. Ufouria)
Open world platform adventure. Reminds me of metroid. Also made by Sunsoft, so the soundtrack thing applies to this one as well.

Crystalis
Not the best out there IMO, but a very solid action-RPG.

StarTropics and StarTropics 2
These are both very zelda-like (made by Nintendo after all) but they're way harder. The second one isn't as good as the first, but it's still a solid game.

Sweet Home
I can't recommend this enough. Mix Resident Evil with an RPG and you get this game.
You control a group of five people sent to investigate a deserted mansion. Once there, they discover they're trapped and have to work together to escape. Each caracter has their strengths and weaknesses and they're all needed at some point. The storytelling, attention to details and gruesomeness is all beyond what you'd expect from an NES game.
It was only released in Japan due to the horror nature of it, but there's a fan translation available.

Metroid and Kid Icarus
These should speak for themselves, but since you didn't mention them I thought I'd bring it up. Kid Icarus switches between being a vertical platformer, a horizontal platformer and an adventure game. Hell, the last stage is even a shooter.

Battle of Olympus, Faxanadu and Legacy of the Wizard
Unlike the other games on this list I've never played through these. But I've heard they're all great adventure games, and that seems true from what I've played. I gotta get these some day.
mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by mattheweston »

Tvspelsfreak wrote:NES:

Blaster Master
Yeah, it's more on the action side of things with a bit of adventure. But it's great and the soundtrack is awesome (as with all Sunsoft games).

Hebereke (a.k.a. Ufouria)
Open world platform adventure. Reminds me of metroid. Also made by Sunsoft, so the soundtrack thing applies to this one as well.

Crystalis
Not the best out there IMO, but a very solid action-RPG.

StarTropics and StarTropics 2
These are both very zelda-like (made by Nintendo after all) but they're way harder. The second one isn't as good as the first, but it's still a solid game.

Sweet Home
I can't recommend this enough. Mix Resident Evil with an RPG and you get this game.
You control a group of five people sent to investigate a deserted mansion. Once there, they discover they're trapped and have to work together to escape. Each caracter has their strengths and weaknesses and they're all needed at some point. The storytelling, attention to details and gruesomeness is all beyond what you'd expect from an NES game.
It was only released in Japan due to the horror nature of it, but there's a fan translation available.

Metroid and Kid Icarus
These should speak for themselves, but since you didn't mention them I thought I'd bring it up. Kid Icarus switches between being a vertical platformer, a horizontal platformer and an adventure game. Hell, the last stage is even a shooter.

Battle of Olympus, Faxanadu and Legacy of the Wizard
Unlike the other games on this list I've never played through these. But I've heard they're all great adventure games, and that seems true from what I've played. I gotta get these some day.
I've actually played most of these. Haven't played the last three in awhile though so I may revisit them.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360

Post by Light-Dark »

I recomend Metroid or Super Metroid they are pretty good.
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

FF3/6 and Secret of Mana... if you like Chrono Trigger, you'll love these as well.