Falco's Biweekly Game Purchases

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Falco's Biweekly Game Purchases

Post by Falco Girgis »

HOLY SHITTING BITCH TITS!!!!

I was making my rounds on ebay checking for rare games, when I saw this lot! I couldn't help it! I didn't mean to spend so much money, but the two Sonics are easily ~20 each and I see Golden Axe go for more like $40. I got the lot for about ~$60. Looks like today's purchase is bigger than I had originally intended. :oops:

I'm going to blame Trufun when I'm homeless...

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2
ASTRO PIT / PIT POT (2 GAME CARTRDIGE)
LAND OF ILLUSION STARRING MICKEY MOUSE
CASTLE OF ILLUSION STARRING MICKEY MOUSE
THE TERMINATOR
GAIN GROUND
GOLDEN AXE
ACTION FIGHTER
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

GyroVorbis wrote:The second game is Golvellius, which is apparently Sega's answer to Zelda.
WIN! No SMS collection is complete without Golvellius, period.

I hope you guys enjoy it as much as my wife and I do. It's one of those games that you always go back to. It's become a tradition in our family to beat it at least once or twice a year.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

GyroVorbis wrote: I'm going to blame Trufun when I'm homeless...
I warned ya! Collecting SMS shit is addictive. :P
-Chris

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

The cover of Golvellius is so epic. My favorite part: "With Password Save!"
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

dandymcgee wrote:The cover of Golvellius is so epic. My favorite part: "With Password Save!"
:lol: My nephew saw that on the cover and said, "What's password save?" And then it occurred to me, this next generation of gamers has never had to keep an epic list of passwords! And when you're mom threw away those passwords, you were PISSED!!!
-Chris

Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

trufun202 wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:The cover of Golvellius is so epic. My favorite part: "With Password Save!"
:lol: My nephew saw that on the cover and said, "What's password save?" And then it occurred to me, this next generation of gamers has never had to keep an epic list of passwords! And when you're mom threw away those passwords, you were PISSED!!!
You should totally bring that back in your game, just to mindfuck the current gen.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

Trask wrote:
trufun202 wrote:
You should totally bring that back in your game, just to mindfuck the current gen.
OMFG, yes! That's a damn good idea. That'd fall right inline with Rad Raygun as well.. 8-)
-Chris

mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Breakout clone, Unnamed 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, XBOX360
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by mattheweston »

especially if it was done in Mega Man fashion with the dots.
xx6heartless6xx
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by xx6heartless6xx »

This thread reminds me of my good old Sega Saturn days...good times
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

So I played a good deal of Golvellius and Phantasy Star. Goddamn, some of the early Master System games have gameplay that rivaled late, polished NES games.

I didn't realize that Golvellius switched gameplay styles like that. I thought it was all top-down Zelda style. It's like a cross between Zelda 1, Zelda 2, shooters, and maybe Castlevania. I played through a few sidescrolling parts, made it to the overworld, killed some things, then opened up some holes in the ground to meet lots of people that I saw in Trufun's Golvellius 3D videos. Some of the holes force the screen to scroll for you, it looks like. There are lots of different gameplay styles going on. I need to sit down and beat it. :)

Phantasy Star was also impressive as shit. It's like a cross between Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy on the NES. I definitely have to say that it's more polished than both. It could pass as an early SNES RPG or Genesis RPG (it is definitely very close to the sequel).

So anyway... since Kendall and I had to spend a shitload of money at Dragoncon, and I had to drop over a K to get my goddamn Prius fixed, I'm kind of on a budget this week:

Final Fantasy Adventure (GB):
This is another one that I've actually never played... I hear it's supposed to be like a soul predecessor to the Secret of Mana series, so it has always been a "must-beat" for me. I think I'll play it on the trust ol' Super Gameboy on SNES...
Tvspelsfreak
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Tvspelsfreak »

Nice one!

That's my favorite GB game and the biggest source of inspiration to the game I'm working on. And it's the first game of the mana series, Secret of Mana is Seiken Densetsu 2.
mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Breakout clone, Unnamed 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, XBOX360
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by mattheweston »

You should try the Final Fantasy Legend series as well.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

GyroVorbis wrote:I didn't realize that Golvellius switched gameplay styles like that. I thought it was all top-down Zelda style. It's like a cross between Zelda 1, Zelda 2, shooters, and maybe Castlevania.
Yes! The dungeons alternate between top-down scrolling and side scrolling. In an attempt to recreate the intensity of the auto-scroll dungeons in Golvellius 3D, I planned on having Kelesis run at the camera, dodging barricades and slashing enemies - ala Sonic Adventure!

Damn, I miss that project... I will indeed get back to Golvellius 3D, one of these days...
GyroVorbis wrote:opened up some holes in the ground to meet lots of people that I saw in Trufun's Golvellius 3D videos.
Yep, and you have to admit, I gave Rio much better tits! :P (The old woman, not so much...)
-Chris

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

trufun202 wrote:Yep, and you have to admit, I gave Rio much better tits! :P (The old woman, not so much...)
Oh, absolutely. :worship:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Faceball (GB)
This is the first handheld FPS ever made, and was one of the first FPSs ever, period. It even featured up to 16 player multiplayer. I ran into one of the programmers of the game the other day commenting on a Youtube video of it. He was talking about what a nightmare it was to do a lot of that stuff on the original Gameboy and what an impressive technical feat it wound up being. I remember being 7 years-old and playing this in the car 4-player with 4 gigantic brick gameboys and link cables... I bought two. One for Marx Chaotix and one for me.

Paper Mario (N64)
For those of you who have never played the original, this is still one of my favorite RPGs ever. Unfortunately, it's now pretty pricey on Ebay (I got a good deal on this one). The game has so much personality and so much adventure. I remember this coming out the same Christmas that the PS2 launched, and being so hooked on it that I wouldn't leave the N64 and play the PS2...