Dreamcast 2?

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Dreamcast 2?

Post by davidthefat »

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=267778

Its kinda old, but this has to be posted: Dreamcast 2 might come? Who knows?
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: Dreamcast 2?

Post by Marx Chaotix »

Ah yes! I remember digging around all day a while back and stumbling upon some information speaking of the rumored "DreamCast 2" and I heard of Propes with their ambitions of resurrecting the console market for Sega and bringing back another next-gen console. I actually do believe it being a definate possibility. If you take a look at Sega and their stalk worth and their general income you'll realize that they're actually generating profits and they're doing better (slightly better with each passing year after 2005 in fact). So Sega may be able to financially support one (though barely). The question isn't whether or not they can make it but, if they're willing to take the risk of following through with it. I just hope that the President of Prope can find a way of convincing Sega. But, if they ever plan on doing so the best time to do it is NOW and hurry so then they'll be ready to release when next generation comes 'round. But it goes to show that even Yuji Naka wants this dream to become a reality. I just hope they do. Even everybody in the company wants to. Sonic just isn't really the same anymore when he's not even on his own consoles anymore..
Khearts
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Super Mario Bros Clone and 3D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Khearts »

Marx Chaotix wrote:Sonic just isn't really the same anymore when he's not even on his own consoles anymore..
Agreed. This planet NEEDS a Dreamcast 2.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

DON'T YOU KNOW!?!?

Post by Arce »

Haven't you heard?

<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: DON'T YOU KNOW!?!?

Post by dandymcgee »

^ :lol:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Van-B
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: iPhone puzzle game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: All - Except Amiga
Programming Language of Choice: DBPro, ObjC++

Post by Van-B »

Would be great to see Sega come up with a new console - Dreamcast is still my favorite console of all time, but there's no way that Sega could compete with the big dogs, not these days. I'd rather see a different style of console from them, no point going up against the 360 or PS3, so they should try and find a niche. I always liked the game gear - a high spec handheld would be pretty cool, high spec - better controls than the PSP and better hardware, decent sized screen, then convert the DC catalogue over. I'd buy one :).
High spec handheld stuff tries to do too much, Sega are just the right folk to bring it back to hardcore gaming.

Probably more chance of snow in hell than that happening... damn I miss the Game Gear, Dreamcast... and I'd miss the Megadrive/Genesis if the controller was better :D. The Saturn, all Saturns in fact should be burned.
Health, ammo.... and bacon and eggs.
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

Van-B wrote:Would be great to see Sega come up with a new console - Dreamcast is still my favorite console of all time, but there's no way that Sega could compete with the big dogs, not these days. I'd rather see a different style of console from them, no point going up against the 360 or PS3, so they should try and find a niche. I always liked the game gear - a high spec handheld would be pretty cool, high spec - better controls than the PSP and better hardware, decent sized screen, then convert the DC catalogue over. I'd buy one :).
High spec handheld stuff tries to do too much, Sega are just the right folk to bring it back to hardcore gaming.

Probably more chance of snow in hell than that happening... damn I miss the Game Gear, Dreamcast... and I'd miss the Megadrive/Genesis if the controller was better :D. The Saturn, all Saturns in fact should be burned.
Hmm, yeah, the toughest part about that business wise is that their continual revenue from software is dependent upon good relations with the other console producers. Making a console or handheld would jeopardize their current position (which is quite favorable). They'd need some way of not competing head to head with Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft (which is basically what you said). As they are now, none of the companies would want to shut them out because they'd lose access to their titles - but if they became a hardware threat then I think there might be incentive for a cartel against them which would effectively eliminate loss aversion from studios acting on their own.

I think their best bet is to keep producing good games for the time being (they've become quite successful in the producer role). They're a successful third-party developer with previous console experience - I doubt they'd have problems making that switch from that standpoint. Also, they do still have some hardware development/research including patents on peripheral devices like controllers and memory devices (says Wikipedia ;) ). I think they have a lot more flexibility/agility than most other companies.

But yeah, it would definitely be cool if there were a dreamcast 2 coming.

Apparently they also expanded into the gambling business in Japan last year :shock:
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

Sega HAS been in the gambling industry. It's just that as of now they're recently going into "online" gambling. They were originally in the slot-machine industry until recently a year or so back went into a partnership with Sammy. (I'm sure you've heard of their merging into Sammy Sega) And ever since they're partnership they've been generating profits. Also sorta' a fun fact. Did you know that Nintendo was originally a poker company also involved with gambling? In fact they invented Hanafuda (Flower Cards) if none of you are familiar. I own special Mario editioned Hanafuda cards =P (though I have yet to find any rules or manuals in English translation. They're all in Japanese =/.
TheFinalFanatic
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by TheFinalFanatic »

Found several other articles on the web, mostly from 2007 though:

http://www.videogamer.com/news/dreamcas ... works.html

I think it's fair to say this is probably an age old internet rumour. ;)
Arce

Post by Arce »

The Saturn, all Saturns in fact should be burned.
Fool, I'll cut you! :evil:
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

The Saturn, all Saturns in fact should be burned.
Aw hail naw!

Shitz goin' down now! lol

But honestly though I don't see why you don't like the Saturn. I played Knights into dreams (mostly on an emulator but still the saturn ver.) and Sonic 3D blast made a perfect adaptation in my opinion to the Saturn and I LOVED Sonic Jam with the overworld and I can name a number of others.
Van-B
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: iPhone puzzle game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: All - Except Amiga
Programming Language of Choice: DBPro, ObjC++

Post by Van-B »

For me, the Saturn was a dissapointment. It was unreliable, the CD drive was especially terrible, it was underpowered and had the worst controller I've ever used. Maybe we just got them later, with less games in Britain, but they just didn't go down very well here. I managed to keep mine running long enough to play through Tomb Raider, which was pretty excellent, but all the other games I played were terrible. I wanted it to do well, believe me! - but the Playstation beat every aspect of it. I love the Dreamcast as much as I dislike the Saturn. Maybe a lot of the issues are resolved through emulation though (rubbish controller, stability) I should look into that before damning the poor thing :).
Health, ammo.... and bacon and eggs.