Cool Sega concept for next gen console

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Cool Sega concept for next gen console

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I browsing the interwebs when I stumbled upon this site wherein a user is discussing a very hot topic of how Sega's next gen. console should look (should they ever get off their lazy asses and make one). This topic is a bit aged as you can see but, if you look back into sega financial history that was back when they took a huge steep dive in budgets but, now today they are gradually climbing back up and are actually doing pretty well for themselves financially and have much more money to invest into their projects. So, the idea and concept of them making such a project isn't really as improbable as it was back then.

Read first post of course on this topic.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=98956
You can't tell me this dude's concept was anything short of a badass one.
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: Cool Sega concept for next gen console

Post by Marx Chaotix »

Here's a very resourceful post made by a user on that community you might be interested in.

Lfefer2008, thanks for providing us with the link. Here, I copied and pasted part of the interview regarding Naka's thoughts of SEGA abandoning hardware at that time. Hope you won't mind:

Kikizo: How do you now reflect on Sega deciding to leave the hardware business?

Naka: I was very much against Sega ceasing to develop hardware, and I think at the time Phantasy Star Online was just about to come out. Okawa-san, who was the head of Sega at the time, said that the networked approach to gaming was something we should pursue, and so that game was developed with that concept fully in mind. At the time, internet infrastructure wasn't really up to the standards it is now; not everybody was even online, whereas now, everyone's got it. Chu Chu Rocket was released as a test to see what was possible, and as a result of that we subsequently developed Phantasy Star Online. But yeah, until the very final moments, I was really against Sega leaving the hardware business. In a way I feel that, had that decision not been made, Sega would have gone bankrupt - so maybe it was a good business decision. But at the same time, I also feel like, what the hell - we should have given it a go, and we should have taken that risk. But that is just my personal opinion, because I really enjoyed the hardware side of things at Sega.

quoted from: http://games.kikizo.com/features/yuj...eb-2009-p2.asp

I'm happy to hear that even Yuji Naka prefers SEGA to remain hardware at that time.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Cool Sega concept for next gen console

Post by eatcomics »

Like he said, they may go bankrupt, I'm sure none of them *wanted* to, but sometimes things must be done. I believe that one day sega will release a new console. Its that or they'll go bankrupt before it happens :P