Steam on Linux

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Steam on Linux

Post by Live-Dimension »

http://www.techspot.com/news/38713-stea ... works.html

It's a known fact that gaming support for linux has been quite lacking compared to Windows and even MacOSX. True there is wine and such but still.

I wonder what kind of response this will get. It'll be a BIG boost to indie game developers for sure. As for the bigger developers, well, it could be interesting to see how this develops over the next few years.
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Steam on Linux

Post by thejahooli »

Live-Dimension wrote:gaming support for linux has been quite lacking compared to Windows and even MacOSX.
For me, this is probably one of the biggest reasons why I'm not going to be using Linux as my main OS.
I'll make your software hardware.
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

Thats sweet :D
Image ImageImage Image
Radik782
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Creating a general purpose 2D tile editor.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, PS1, Megadrive.
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Radik782 »

Oh crap.
Ubuntu is my only installed OS atm to stop me blowing all my time on games.

Valve are going to destroy my life. :lol:
:cry:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Live-Dimension wrote:http://www.techspot.com/news/38713-stea ... works.html

It's a known fact that gaming support for linux has been quite lacking compared to Windows and even MacOSX. True there is wine and such but still.

I wonder what kind of response this will get. It'll be a BIG boost to indie game developers for sure. As for the bigger developers, well, it could be interesting to see how this develops over the next few years.
GOOD.

Jesus Christ, all of that shit is running on an OpenGL back-end. I can't believe this hasn't happened sooner.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by LeonBlade »

Yeah, both Mac and Linux are filled with OpenGL goodness, but Valve only wants their precious DirectX pff...
Glad to see it's coming to the Mac, and hopefully Linux as well. I wouldn't see why not!
There's no place like ~/
cndr
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: etc.

Post by cndr »

I'd rather not see steam, I hate the idea that I buy a game, and it gets linked to an email address, and you basically have to be online to play games, the only way to play offline is to go online and put it into offline mode.
Long Live The Queen!
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

cndr wrote:I'd rather not see steam, I hate the idea that I buy a game, and it gets linked to an email address, and you basically have to be online to play games, the only way to play offline is to go online and put it into offline mode.

You hate the idea that all your licensing for your games is stored in one convenient, aesthetically pleasing, online environment? You would rather have a bunch of boxes and booklets lying around that could potentially end up lost or damaged and then be SOL for finding your Keys? You would rather pay extra for packaging and not get the awesome Steam only deals that valve offers? All this because of two clicks of the mouse to go offline?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Live-Dimension »

hurstshifter wrote:
cndr wrote:I'd rather not see steam, I hate the idea that I buy a game, and it gets linked to an email address, and you basically have to be online to play games, the only way to play offline is to go online and put it into offline mode.

You hate the idea that all your licensing for your games is stored in one convenient, aesthetically pleasing, online environment? You would rather have a bunch of boxes and booklets lying around that could potentially end up lost or damaged and then be SOL for finding your Keys? You would rather pay extra for packaging and not get the awesome Steam only deals that valve offers? All this because of two clicks of the mouse to go offline?
Some people don't like how you limit yourself to a single system, with very effective DRM, and how you can lose access to everything very very easily. Other people don't mind it.

Do we have to debate this? The interwebz is full of such stuff as well and I'd much rather talk about Steam on Linux rather then Steam owning your gaming life.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by LeonBlade »

Live-Dimension wrote:Do we have to debate this? The interwebz is full of such stuff as well and I'd much rather talk about Steam on Linux rather then Steam owning your gaming life.
Heh, I just think people need to chill out with it... I mean come on it's only fucking Steam...
Quit bitching, honestly... (not you Dime)

I'd love to see Steam on all platforms, but really Mac (which it is).
That will get all the /v/ideo gamers and /g/urus off Mac's case because it's getting annoying hearing "Macs can't game" etc etc when they CAN they just don't have anything to game with... :oops:

But Linux, definitely would love to see Steam on it.
There's no place like ~/
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

I personally love Steam and the convenience it provides with installing 1 program to link me to a fuck ton of my games, is amazing especially when having to rebuild a PC. Also, I'm really happy that Valve is opening these doors for the Mac and Linux, a much untapped market.

1 change I would love Steam to do is to keep my SAVE files on their server, especially since I have my laptop and desktop that I commonly game off of.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Milch
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Milch »

Trask wrote: 1 change I would love Steam to do is to keep my SAVE files on their server, especially since I have my laptop and desktop that I commonly game off of.
Isnt there a feature called 'Steam Cloud' what does exactly this?
Follow me on twitter!
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Live-Dimension »

As far as I know that only does settings and crap, and not saved games.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Milch wrote:
Trask wrote: 1 change I would love Steam to do is to keep my SAVE files on their server, especially since I have my laptop and desktop that I commonly game off of.
Isnt there a feature called 'Steam Cloud' what does exactly this?
Yeah, this saves settings, not the save files. D:
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Trask wrote:1 change I would love Steam to do is to keep my SAVE files on their server, especially since I have my laptop and desktop that I commonly game off of.
True. I'm abusing DropBox for this.