Steam on Linux

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: Steam on Linux

Post by Trask »

I have batch files to transfer the files to and from my file server now, but its not the best process out there.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

hurstshifter wrote:
cndr wrote:I'd rather not see steam, I hate the idea that I buy a game, and it gets linked to an email address, and you basically have to be online to play games, the only way to play offline is to go online and put it into offline mode.

You hate the idea that all your licensing for your games is stored in one convenient, aesthetically pleasing, online environment? You would rather have a bunch of boxes and booklets lying around that could potentially end up lost or damaged and then be SOL for finding your Keys? You would rather pay extra for packaging and not get the awesome Steam only deals that valve offers? All this because of two clicks of the mouse to go offline?
Well there are many people that don't like multi-use media that "shouldn't" be multi-use in their eyes. I'm the same way to be honest, I LOVE steam. However, phones for example, I realize that my phone can hold 8G of music... I much rather use my 8G iPod for listening to music though. Personally I don't use any apps on my phone except for obviously texting. I use the internet browser, but to read Bash quotes during class mostly...
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
Thomas_Bates
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Project CERBERUS (linux only)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Thomas_Bates »

I've never been big on PC gaming, I've almost always used Ubuntu as my primary, as there's no need for me to have anything else, but I do love Valve's games, and if this will let me actually PLAY them without using PlayOnLinux, I'm all for it. PlayOnLinux is some sort of extension or something to Wine, I don't use it often, but it severely messed up my Portal.