Good sandbox games?

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Good sandbox games?

Post by davidthefat »

Sanshin77 wrote:
eatcomics wrote:The red dead games are supposed to be pretty good... Or game, there was one before this right? or am I just confusing it with something else?
I didn't know this but there is apparently another red dead game... Red Dead Revolver http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dead_Revolver. Don't know about that one though, never heard of it.
he meant red dead redemption... I just want to get it for buffalo hunting :lol:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Lol buffalo... anywho, I was right there is another one :P I think my friend has it...
epicasian
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gigazilla Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by epicasian »

ibly31 wrote:I'm not sure how long this series has been out or if anyones even heard of it, but I just played Just Cause 2. You are some assassin guy whose supposed to destroy government buildings and stuff that causes Chaos. You get points, not sure what you do with them other than unlocking other missions though. The world is HUGE, and you can parachute/grapplehook everywhere. Its awesome because you can do stuff like:

- Grapple to something, and pull your parachute as your flying towards it to get height, then shoot grapples off to get speed, kinda like spiderman.
- Grapple things to other things. The best is people to cars, they get owned REALLY bad.
- Theres a shit load of guns, but I find running around more fun.
- Theres planes, helicopters, and *I think* tanks.
- and my personal favorite: BASE JUMPING. Especially from reaaally high(which isn't base jumping, I know.) and you can highjack planes, and helicopters too, which is fun because you get to watch the previous pilots fall out.

Its basically just one of those "splode everytang" games. Damn I sound like a salesman. But the demo is free and is fun as hell, give it a try.
I friggin' love Just Cause 2. When I do get a PS3 or 360, that is the first game I'm going to buy.
I mean, who doesn't like makin' stuff 'splode? :D

~EpicAsian
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Post by ibly31 »

The game should definitely be changed to "Just Blow as Much SHIT Up As Possible To Get Money To Buy Shit That Helps You Blow More Shit Up". Got the full game from my friend for 25$, loving every second of playing it. I love the Pell Silverbolt, and base jumping. Base jumping is probably my favorite part of the game.
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
Thomas_Bates
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Project CERBERUS (linux only)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360

Post by Thomas_Bates »

Oblivion is really good, I've yet to get any of the addons, but the one bad thing I do notice is the fact that it freezes quite a bit. Luckily, the thing autosaves pretty regularly.
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

Thomas_Bates wrote:Oblivion is really good, I've yet to get any of the addons, but the one bad thing I do notice is the fact that it freezes quite a bit. Luckily, the thing autosaves pretty regularly.
Get the latest patches, then get a few mods. You'll want the unofficial community patch that fixes over 1,400 bugs. There are quite alot of graphical enhancements and shit to try out to.

The flip side of the coin is a lot of these mods you need to start a new game for.
Thomas_Bates
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Project CERBERUS (linux only)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360

Post by Thomas_Bates »

Live-Dimension wrote:
Thomas_Bates wrote:Oblivion is really good, I've yet to get any of the addons, but the one bad thing I do notice is the fact that it freezes quite a bit. Luckily, the thing autosaves pretty regularly.
Get the latest patches, then get a few mods. You'll want the unofficial community patch that fixes over 1,400 bugs. There are quite alot of graphical enhancements and shit to try out to.

The flip side of the coin is a lot of these mods you need to start a new game for.
Xbox 360 version, I'm not sure linux can handle Oblivion.