Good sandbox games?

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

epicasian
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gigazilla Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Good sandbox games?

Post by epicasian »

I've played GTA 3, SA and VC, Mercenaries and Just Cause 2. Do you guys have any favorites/recommendations for sandbox games? Preferably the DC, PS2 or PC.

Thanks,
EpicAsian
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Good sandbox games?

Post by aamesxdavid »

I rather enjoy the sandbox-ness of Prototype. Morphing into random people (after you devour them of course) helps with that. And you can run really fast, scale buildings, and glide. And you can drive tanks.

Basically, if it had online multiplayer, I'd never play GTA again.
epicasian
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gigazilla Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, PS2, PC

Post by epicasian »

I've seen commercials for that game before. It looks beast. Too bad I don't have a next gen console, lol.
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

epicasian wrote:I've seen commercials for that game before. It looks beast. Too bad I don't have a next gen console, lol.
It's for PC as well.
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

epicasian wrote:I've played GTA 3, SA and VC, Mercenaries and Just Cause 2. Do you guys have any favorites/recommendations for sandbox games? Preferably the DC, PS2 or PC.

Thanks,
EpicAsian
Oblivion, Simpsons Hit and Run? :) and you can try Fallout 3
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

Prototype is a +1

Oblivion isn't bad, check here. Fallout 3 isn't meant to be bad but I haven't tired it yet.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Saint's Row 2. It's a GTA clone but so much more fun. If you have a choice, get it on the x360 as the PC port has huge performance problems.... You'll really want ATLEAST a 2.5ghz+ tri-core, quad-core is better with a HIGH-END graphics card. I'm not joking here. I have a 5770 and a 3ghz quad core and I still get hiccups from time to time, only driving though, but it's playable. The x360 has a 3ghz tri-core cpu. Before I was playing on a 2.4ghz dual core and it was just unplayable with the same graphics card. It's a shame really.

It does have drop in coop, which happens at ANYTIME you want to anywhere. You can play the entire game in 2p coop.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

Shenmue 1 and 2. Also Omikron: the nomad soul. (on Dreamcast)
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

Minecraft. It's really on a different track all together than the other games that have been mentioned. I believe that 1 guy is working on it and it's currently in the alpha stage. Essentially, you build whatever you want out of blocks in an open environment. Right now it's more or less like Lego in the sense that it's entirely based upon building things (including through collaboration or showing your levels off in a hosted server). One of the next steps is to implement more customizable mechanics that would give the option of making more interactive games in the world that you build.

It's almost the definition of a sandbox game. Aside from a randomly generated environment as your starting template (or a plain environment if you so choose) everything is there because it was created.
Protimus
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Game Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by Protimus »

EccentricDuck wrote:Minecraft. It's really on a different track all together than the other games that have been mentioned. I believe that 1 guy is working on it and it's currently in the alpha stage. Essentially, you build whatever you want out of blocks in an open environment. Right now it's more or less like Lego in the sense that it's entirely based upon building things (including through collaboration or showing your levels off in a hosted server). One of the next steps is to implement more customizable mechanics that would give the option of making more interactive games in the world that you build.

It's almost the definition of a sandbox game. Aside from a randomly generated environment as your starting template (or a plain environment if you so choose) everything is there because it was created.
I almost always put in a few hours a week ;)
Judge not a man by his language but by his use of the language.
xiphirx
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: ******** (Unkown for the time being)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by xiphirx »

Garry's Mod? :P
StarCraft II Zerg Strategy, open to all levels of players!

Looking for paid work :< Contact me if you are interested in creating a website, need a web design, or anything else you think I'm capable of :)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

xiphirx wrote:Garry's Mod? :P
This
Sanshin77
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: C++/SDL engine, zaActionWizardMagic game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 2, Nintendo DS, mac and PC

Post by Sanshin77 »

I think I can safely recommend Red Dead redemption if you like GTA, it comes out this week so I haven't played it. Seems to be GTA+Western with awesome graphics. And it's got really high review scores.
It's PS3/X360 only though...
Check out videos of my C++ games as well as my "Amateur Game Dev" series over at
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zanchill
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

The red dead games are supposed to be pretty good... Or game, there was one before this right? or am I just confusing it with something else?
Sanshin77
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: C++/SDL engine, zaActionWizardMagic game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 2, Nintendo DS, mac and PC

Post by Sanshin77 »

eatcomics wrote:The red dead games are supposed to be pretty good... Or game, there was one before this right? or am I just confusing it with something else?
I didn't know this but there is apparently another red dead game... Red Dead Revolver http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dead_Revolver. Don't know about that one though, never heard of it.
Check out videos of my C++ games as well as my "Amateur Game Dev" series over at
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zanchill
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Post by ibly31 »

I'm not sure how long this series has been out or if anyones even heard of it, but I just played Just Cause 2. You are some assassin guy whose supposed to destroy government buildings and stuff that causes Chaos. You get points, not sure what you do with them other than unlocking other missions though. The world is HUGE, and you can parachute/grapplehook everywhere. Its awesome because you can do stuff like:

- Grapple to something, and pull your parachute as your flying towards it to get height, then shoot grapples off to get speed, kinda like spiderman.
- Grapple things to other things. The best is people to cars, they get owned REALLY bad.
- Theres a shit load of guns, but I find running around more fun.
- Theres planes, helicopters, and *I think* tanks.
- and my personal favorite: BASE JUMPING. Especially from reaaally high(which isn't base jumping, I know.) and you can highjack planes, and helicopters too, which is fun because you get to watch the previous pilots fall out.

Its basically just one of those "splode everytang" games. Damn I sound like a salesman. But the demo is free and is fun as hell, give it a try.
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.