Nintendo's next gen. handheld

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Nintendo's next gen. handheld

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I'm sure the majority of you have heard but, I looked and looked and couldn't find any threads discussing this and for those of you who haven't heard I'm sure you'll be interested.

http://kotaku.com/5499697/nintendo-anno ... ntendo-3ds

To summarize that article, Nintendo has announced their next project at E3 discussing a new next-gen. handheld (no, not another of their million variants of the DS but, a REAL new console this time) which is (this is speculation at this point) supposedly to be released sometime next year in 2011. This time it's going to include new innovative hardware allowing the player to have a full 3 dimensional viewing of the game and will be able to have tilting functions allowing for several perspective views for in-game gameplay. I continue to hear people comparing this new handheld's power to the Nintendo Gamecube (I REALLY doubt it to be honest but, I won't rule the possibility out)

Questions, thoughts, opinions?

I've also seen a handful of videos online demonstrating what it'll be like but of course they aren't done with the overall console since they simply implanted the hardware into a DSi.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: Nintendo's next gen. handheld

Post by Trask »

Last I heard, it was just an iteration of of the DS and the one with the Gamecube specs was the next gen version, but not the 3DS. Meh, could be wrong. Best part of the 3DS is not having to wear glasses, but I wonder if it can make existing games 3D or only new ones made with that SDK or whatever. That's a big for me.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: Nintendo's next gen. handheld

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I'm not entirely sure but, again I have my doubts about them releasing a powerhouse handheld any time soon. They were never really all to big with the idea of creating powerful consoles like Microsoft or Sony with their PSP's, 360's, PS3's, etc.. If they ever do that'll be a first. A big question in this for me is the pricing of this console and whether or not their whole (3D) approach will pay off or not.

And as far as next gen's go, I hear that everyone is on Nintendo's case about their consoles lacking power and whatnot urging them to go HD. I just hope that Nintendo knows what they're doing. But, I'm going to be pissed if this just ends up being another iteration. I'm just sick and tired of Sony and Nintendo's iterations of the SAME thing. I want them to hurry the hell up and just make another damned handheld. :nono: