Paying for demos

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Paying for demos

Post by Live-Dimension »

http://games.on.net/article/8452/EA_con ... ull_launch
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2775 ... unches.php?
Detractors of downloadable content, prepare to put on your vitriol hats; the latest proposed money-making scheme from EA is a doozy. Called PDLC, with the "p" standing for "premium", the new content would be released ahead of the game's launch.

I know what you're thinking, and no, it's not an alternative way of charging for collector's edition digital content. It's a way of charging for demos.

To be fair, EA put a nice spin on it. They mention Battlefield 1943 as an example of the kind of content you'd get for the USD $10-15 you'd have to shell out.

The tentative idea is that everyone wins; gamers get a new, cheap game, and EA make money to fund development on top of free beta testing. Hopefully gamers will be so struck by the wonders experienced therein that they spread the hype, and when the full game eventually releases, it is a grand success.

I'm not sure I care to pay for the privelege of bug-finding EA's latest release, but could I say no to a PDLC of the next Dragon Age or Mass Effect if it was offered? The jury's out on that one.
I love EA so much. Hats off to these guys. They just killed the idea of the demo....
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Paying for demos

Post by LeonBlade »

No, see, it's not a demo it's PDLC :lol:
But seriously, this is very disappointing to see...
There's no place like ~/
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

The reason you download a demo, is to see if you want to spend the money on the full game, atleast, thats what i do... With a paid demo you cant do that.
Image ImageImage Image
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

ismetteren wrote:The reason you download a demo, is to see if you want to spend the money on the full game, atleast, thats what i do... With a paid demo you cant do that.
Exactly :lol: I don't understand who they are trying to fool here... possibly all the stupid people out there ;)
There's no place like ~/
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

That's bloody ridiculous, I'm not even going to explain why because we all know why, paid-for demos, next they'll be charging us by the hour when we play the real thing !
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

This ties back in with the Gamer Union topic I made a few days back in a way.
There's no place like ~/
Innerscope
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gridbug
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: Obj-C, C++

Post by Innerscope »

LeonBlade wrote:This ties back in with the Gamer Union topic I made a few days back in a way.
I think this is something people can universally agree upon, and would be union worthy. If your shelling out $15 for a demo, you should at least get that amount taken off the full purchase.
I don't think people should pay for demos (or 1/8 of a game... what is this? pot?) to begin with. I would be in favor of a more streamlined time trial where users are free to play a game for a certain duration of time. If they like the game, they would be able to purchase via a button press. (with confirmation of course) Not only would that make purchasing a game easier, it would also weed out the crap. In my mind that would be ideal.
Website (under construction) : http://www.timcool.me
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

Innerscope wrote:
LeonBlade wrote:This ties back in with the Gamer Union topic I made a few days back in a way.
I think this is something people can universally agree upon, and would be union worthy. If your shelling out $15 for a demo, you should at least get that amount taken off the full purchase.
I don't think people should pay for demos (or 1/8 of a game... what is this? pot?) to begin with. I would be in favor of a more streamlined time trial where users are free to play a game for a certain duration of time. If they like the game, they would be able to purchase via a button press. (with confirmation of course) Not only would that make purchasing a game easier, it would also weed out the crap. In my mind that would be ideal.
Couldn't agree more, at least make it a benefit for shelling out the cash ahead of time and being able to save some money in the long run, that will still do EA good. It just wont let them be complete money hogs that only care about themselves.
There's no place like ~/
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Live-Dimension »

LeonBlade wrote: Couldn't agree more, at least make it a benefit for shelling out the cash ahead of time and being able to save some money in the long run, that will still do EA good. It just wont let them be complete money hogs that only care about themselves.
This IS EA we're talking about...

Innerscope wrote:I would be in favor of a more streamlined time trial where users are free to play a game for a certain duration of time. If they like the game, they would be able to purchase via a button press. (with confirmation of course) Not only would that make purchasing a game easier, it would also weed out the crap. In my mind that would be ideal.
That's been implemented a long time, especially with casual gaming. For AAA Game titles however, you either download the rest of the content later, which completely crews over DVD demo discs, or you get all the content now, which again screws them over. It would most likely have to be digitally-distributed only. Plus, what's wrong with today's demos? (assuming you can get them from somewhere which doesn't count towards download quota)
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by MrDeathNote »

What a load of shit, this is getting ridiculous. Who's gonna pay for a demo, it destroys the purpose of a demo. IMHO they can go fuck themselves i'll never pay for a demo.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
Innerscope
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: Obj-C, C++

Post by Innerscope »

Live-Dimension wrote:
Innerscope wrote:I would be in favor of a more streamlined time trial where users are free to play a game for a certain duration of time. If they like the game, they would be able to purchase via a button press. (with confirmation of course) Not only would that make purchasing a game easier, it would also weed out the crap. In my mind that would be ideal.
That's been implemented a long time, especially with casual gaming. For AAA Game titles however, you either download the rest of the content later, which completely crews over DVD demo discs, or you get all the content now, which again screws them over. It would most likely have to be digitally-distributed only. Plus, what's wrong with today's demos? (assuming you can get them from somewhere which doesn't count towards download quota)
Well, time trials have been around for a long time. Recently purchasing games have become an easier/faster transaction, but not to that extent. What I proposed is something seamless. Of course, the inherit problem is that you would have to download the entire game to play the demo. I don't really have a problem with today's demos, I just think purchasing games from demos could be more streamlined.
Website (under construction) : http://www.timcool.me
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot

Post by davidthefat »

I think you misunderstood... They are doing more things like Battlefield 1943, was worth the $15
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Live-Dimension »

davidthefat wrote:I think you misunderstood... They are doing more things like Battlefield 1943, was worth the $15
Yes, my EA Overlord. :worship: :worship: