Sonic 4

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Sonic 4

Post by Pickzell »

Sonic 4 is finally being released after what, 15 years now? It's for all 3 systems I believe, and is downloadable content.
And to make the fanboys and/or people who grew up on Sonic wet themselves, it's another brightly colored 2D game with cartoony music.

One thing I don't like is how this game is released in episodes. It seems like a way to make it more pricey than it has to be and get it out the door faster. Imageine if there's 10 episode for $10 each, that's 100 dollars for 1 game!

But anyways, I'm looking forward to it, although I won't get my hopes up TOO high.
I'm an altogether bad-natured Cupid.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: Sonic 4

Post by Trask »

Sonic 4 is *looking* to be great, but I really don't want to invest too much emotion until I know it won't break my heart again. :roll:
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

Trask wrote:Sonic 4 is *looking* to be great, but I really don't want to invest too much emotion until I know it won't break my heart again. :roll:
Sadly, that's what I'm like with most games these days. Also, it's not made by the sonic team apparently. That could be good or bad, though I don't see how fresh blood couldn't hurt the poor old hedgehog.

I quite like how we're seeing more and more 2D games coming out over 3D.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Trask »

Live-Dimension wrote:
Trask wrote:Sonic 4 is *looking* to be great, but I really don't want to invest too much emotion until I know it won't break my heart again. :roll:
Sadly, that's what I'm like with most games these days. Also, it's not made by the sonic team apparently. That could be good or bad, though I don't see how fresh blood couldn't hurt the poor old hedgehog.

Actually, it's apparently being made with SOME of the Sonic team, specifically the Senior Designer in Sonic 3 as well as a few others.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Live-Dimension wrote:

It's definitely nice to see 2d games still holding their ground. I don't think the simple fact of it being 2d or 3d really affects how good the game will be though. I mean, I love both 2d and 3d games. Some titles will work better as one or the other. I'm glad that developers experiment will new things from time to time. Sonic is a great example. I loved Sonic 1-3 as well as some of the other titles like Sonic Chaos for the Game Gear, but I also LOVED Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 for the Dreamcast. It will be nice to see Sonic back to his roots if this ever gets released though.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Trask »

I'm personally a fan of 2.5D games, you know what kind I mean? They're a nice hybrid of both worlds, get some gorgeous looking particle effects and animations while keeping the 2D style gameplay. Then on the other end, you have old school style games like Megaman 9/10 and that also rocks.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Hate to bring back "old news"...But has anybody heard anything else yet? :P

More vids, trailors, etc? I guess I'm the only one here saying "FUCK YEA ABOUT TIME!!!"

I enjoyed New Super Mario Bros...And this seems like a more badass Sonic version. Tbh, I can't wait. ;p
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

You played new super mario bros for wii? its fun when there are more people, I sacrificed my grandma by throwing her off a raft once... It was hilarious!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Bumped. I'm really excited now: http://sonicthehedgehog4.com

For WiiWare, PSN, XBLA, and ?

So like, what is the question mark? Probably iPad/iPhone, I would guess, but IT NEEDS TO BE SEGA GENESIS.

Seriously, though. The gameplay looks fresh. Sega might have broken their spell of complete shit Sonic games that started with Sonic Heroes...
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

It looks pretty good from the screenshots + the teaser video that actually showed you something.

I guess they finally figured out that everyone hated unleashed and everything it stood for, we just want to run on 2D planes and collect rings goddammit! :lol:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

GyroVorbis wrote:Bumped. I'm really excited now: http://sonicthehedgehog4.com

So like, what is the question mark? Probably iPad/iPhone, I would guess, but IT NEEDS TO BE SEGA GENESIS.
I would hope PC, but I guess not considering it's not really worth "hiding", so your most likely right. Still, an interesting way to promote the game, make everyone guess what your putting it on. However, i'd be pissed if it doesn't get on PC for the sole reason that I'm not on any of those networks :P
pythip
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by pythip »

steam?
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

DS ware or whatever, the 3DS? um... XBOX 720... no... Sega 32X.... I think I'm getting closer... DREAMCAST! got it, the question mark must be for dreamcast

seriously though this game looks sweet... IDK if I'll get it on wii, PS3 or xbox... I have all three :P probably not xbox because I don't like the D-pad... although I don't know if you'll need it... rrrg, but if you don't then I'll definitely get it for xbox
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

eatcomics wrote:DS ware or whatever, the 3DS? um... XBOX 720... no... Sega 32X.... I think I'm getting closer... DREAMCAST! got it, the question mark must be for dreamcast

seriously though this game looks sweet... IDK if I'll get it on wii, PS3 or xbox... I have all three :P probably not xbox because I don't like the D-pad... although I don't know if you'll need it... rrrg, but if you don't then I'll definitely get it for xbox
I'm not even going to ask how in the world you managed to get ALL three >_> lucky son of a....

But, I really hope that Gyro's theory is correct and that this game will be the shimmer of light that Sega needs. I dunno.... I'm really spectical and don't really know what to think of this whole retro-revival trend that Nintendo and Sega seem to be doing. (With Nintendo's remakes of the retro Mario games and whatnot) It seems like a response to their diminishing fanbase of classical gamers who aren't to comfortable with their adaptations to more modernized games. I just hope this will be the motivation they need to rethink the way they've been making games and get their asses in gear.

Sadly I don't think it'll bring much of an impact and ONLY the older gentlemen more familiar with the retro series will be the only sort to invest in this sort of game, "Sonic 4". I hope I'm wrong. =/

As for what platforms it will be on. I'm guessing iPhone not iTouch (because everyone hates iTouch :'( ) Dowloadable on 360 PS3 and Wii (NO clue how the hell this game is supposed to bring about a classical feel on the Wii considering the way you game on it is completely different and with Nintendo's REVOLUTIONARY approach bah! Wiimote nunchuck BS) and hopefully PC (Be pissed off if it won't be available on there) and to be honest I think this game would feel pretty comfortable on the PSP though I highly have reason to doubt they'll ever port it.