First Console?

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

thbp
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Learn
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC/PS/GC/DC
Programming Language of Choice: C(++)/Perl

Re: First Console?

Post by thbp »

totally forgot my GBC i loved that thing that was my first "console" but it was awsome i had up till bout a year ago when i threw it out the window
XNA ========== eXtreme Nuclear Atomic
Wrestlers have three motion: side 2 side , circle, and stalk
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Bakkon »

NES with Super Mario Bros. 3. I had my mom help me with the hard parts.

Now over 15 years later, I find my mom playing the SNES with Mario All-Stars popped in and I have to help her with the hard parts.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I myself started with a gameboy advance? or n64? or no no, it was a sega genesis :D I remember now, my dad got it out of our storage thing, and we played the shit out of sonic :D

16 bit ftw :worship:

Edit: "We played the shit out of sonic, and mortal combat, and street fighter, and I can't remember what else... but my new favorite is fire shark, its so epic :D
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

NES, though I barely remember it. I have the faintest memories of a few games but nothing really. SNES, which I still have. Not that many games for it which surprises me considering. Also a Sega Megadrive II. played sonic on it no end XD.

My most pleasant and fun memories (most things before this is a blur) come from the old PS1 (Thinking of it now makes me want to try devving for it). My first game was Hexen, which was funny as I don't think I even had a memory card - the game fills up all 15 slots on one card! I was still pretty young so the dammed thing scared me to shithouse :P Then the next major one I remember is G-Police which I also played no-end. Quite alot of others I could recount - Wipeout, Metal Gear Solid, Soul Reaver?, Syphon filter...... list goes on and on =]
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: GMN (C++)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, PSP / Psp Emulation, GameCube, SNES, NES

Post by OmegaGDS »

I had a NES with SMB and duck hunt. I wonder how that gun controller worked... I don't remember a sensor bar. I don't remember much about it, but yeah. NES is and always will be my humble origins.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I almost think it had a camera in it, and it spotted the colors or something....
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

OmegaGDS wrote:I had a NES with SMB and duck hunt. I wonder how that gun controller worked... I don't remember a sensor bar. I don't remember much about it, but yeah. NES is and always will be my humble origins.

It was actually pretty damn simple. Basically when you pulled the trigger everything on the screen would go black except for the duck which would be drawn white (this only would happen for a single frame I believe). If the sensor in the barrel of the light gun determined that it was pointed at the white object at the instant it would then relay that information to the game. You might also be interested in knowing that this will only work on CRT screens and not on LCDs or Plasmas, the days of Duckhunt are coming to an end!
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OmegaGDS »

hurstshifter wrote:
OmegaGDS wrote:I had a NES with SMB and duck hunt. I wonder how that gun controller worked... I don't remember a sensor bar. I don't remember much about it, but yeah. NES is and always will be my humble origins.

It was actually pretty damn simple. Basically when you pulled the trigger everything on the screen would go black except for the duck which would be drawn white (this only would happen for a single frame I believe). If the sensor in the barrel of the light gun determined that it was pointed at the white object at the instant it would then relay that information to the game. You might also be interested in knowing that this will only work on CRT screens and not on LCDs or Plasmas, the days of Duckhunt are coming to an end!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Well at least I was right with the camera thing :D
as for duckhunt I haven't played that game in years, but I loved it...
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

N64, but I had my experiences with my cousin's SNES or NES
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OmegaGDS »

hurstshifter wrote:

oh, that is pretty simple. I never thought of it doing that...
ZachO
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: DC, Atari 2600, GC
Programming Language of Choice: Python

Post by ZachO »

Mine was an Snes that my brother owned my first personally owned console was an N64
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

OmegaGDS wrote:
hurstshifter wrote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Don't worry. I'm sure they will port it to the Wii virtual console (if they haven't already). Infrared will save our childhoods.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by zeid »

I had one of these if that counts, but can't find the actual one with the right games I had.

I also had a NES. I'm not sure in which order. Duck Hunt/Mario ftw.
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.

For many more free games online visit www.sam-zeid.com
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by GroundUpEngine »

I had a SNES :mrgreen: Zelda Link to the Past/Street Fighter 2 ftw!