Can't run games

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Dreeb
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Can't run games

Post by Dreeb »

Hey, guys.
I really need some help.
You see, I got a new computer, but i found out it's graphics card is too bad to run games in a good enough quality, i can only run them in the lowest settings and it still lags. Games like Battle field 2, darkfall, garry's mod, half life 2, left 4 dead 2, oblivion,
etc.

My computers specs:

Windows Vista
AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core Processor
450 GB free on hard drive.
NVIDIA Geforce 9100

I really only know shit about computers, besides the fact that i am learning c.
I guess i need a better graphics card....
If so, can anybody recommend one to me, I am very low on money, so i would say it cant be over 100$, at the most.
I would really like the cheapest card that is decent, though, cuz 100 is alot for me.
Also, how would i install this graphics card?
Sanshin77
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: C++/SDL engine, zaActionWizardMagic game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 2, Nintendo DS, mac and PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Can't run games

Post by Sanshin77 »

Hmm, I dunno about the rest of the world but to me ( in Norway ) 100 dollars for a decent graphics card seems way low. You are right about the 9100 though, with each series of the nvidia cards the X100-400 are the low-cost cards, and X600-800 are for gaming etc. (Example: The 8600 is more powerful than 9100, I think.)

I guess you could look at 8800gt cards at amazon.com , but you'll have to make sure that they'll work with your motherboard. This one's for 150 dollars:
http://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-SLI-R ... 753&sr=8-1

I'm not really an expert on hardware either, probably a lot of people around the forums who could help you more than I can. Atleast be 100% certain that you won't have any compatibility issues before buying pc parts.

Hope that was somewhat helpful :D :mrgreen:
Check out videos of my C++ games as well as my "Amateur Game Dev" series over at
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zanchill
andrew
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by andrew »

aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

Really isn't hard to find your problem:
Dreeb wrote:Windows Vista
Really, you should have no problem running those games at least at a medium setting. I'm sure Vista is at least part of the problem - the other part being when you buy a new computer, it comes with a bunch of shit you don't need that will just bog down the system. The best thing to do would be to format it and install either Windows 7 or XP. This will take care of both of those issues.

Short of a total format, I'd at least go through your Add/Remove Program list, and take out unnecessary things. Then tweak your settings (in the Control Panel) for performance. Vista has a lot of eye candy, and if you tone that down, you should be getting better performance out of it overall.

Bottom line - buying a new video card should be your last resort. If you buy a new card, and you still have Vista with all that pre-loaded junk on it, you'll still be wasting tons of processing power.

As a final note, you'll probably get better performance out of XP as far as games are concerned - and you're only sacrificing a newer DirectX, which only a few games actually use anyway.
TheFinalFanatic
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by TheFinalFanatic »

Well, a GeForce 9100 should run those games fine. Hell, I ran Half-Life 2 on a GeForce 7600. What about your machine's RAM or it's Graphics Memory? Since your running Vista that could quite easily be an issue.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Use http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/ to see why your computer can't handle a game.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by JaxDragon »

Get a GT 220. 1GB GFX card. DDR3. Runs MW2 maxed. Under $100. Only requires a 300 watt PSU.