The Legends of Zelda: The Shards of Light

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

The Legends of Zelda: The Shards of Light

Post by XianForce »

Well, I just realized, I've never seen a thread for this homebrew game... I must say this is the first LoZ homebrew that actually looks great. It's a remake of the original LoZ forom the NES, being developed for the Nintendo DS by BassAceGold.

Blog

He has quite a few screen shots on it, but not much video. The video he does have though, looks great =D.

Youtube

To sum up the project, here's a quote from his blog:

"This isn’t a release, this post is to just basically summerize the project and its progress seeing as my old blog was wiped.

Zelda: TSOL is a project I started in mid December 2007. My intentions at the time was to see if I had the skills to actually make a zelda game of some sort, so why not start off with the simplest adaptation of the game, the Legend of Zelda from the nes. Honestly I thought I wouldn’t have gotten far, I just wanted to see how much i could do without getting stuck. As soon as I got held up on something, I would not try to persue that problem and just leave it… or so I thought. Over the period I’ve been coding it, it became more apparent that I could actually pull this off , and decided to just go with it. Over a year later, the project is still strong and is doing better than ever. I’ve split the developement of the game in 3 parts, the over world (everything outside of levels (items, stores, AI)), the underworld (the levels), and the various new gameplay elements being added to the game. Currently I’d say the overworld is 99% done coding wise and is just a matter of bugs or graphical improvements etc. As for the underworld, I mostly started coding it in february so far. Level systems are in place and it is just a matter of adding content and coding all the AI + bug fixes and random other things.

Now theres one thing people always ask, “when is it going to be released?”

Well it will be released when I say its done. There won’t be a date because I work on this in my free time, some days I work on it a lot, other days I may not even touch it. All my coding is based purely on how I feel and how productive I feel. Motivation is also another key factor to my developement. When I get nice comments or new graphics recieved from my artist, I become more motivated to work on it. Where if theres been a dry spell, I feel less motivated to work on it due to it becoming stale. "

But I've been following his project for a while now, and I think it looks amazing. So if you guys like it, you should drop by and leave him a comment =D
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: The Legends of Zelda: The Shards of Light

Post by dandymcgee »

That's some beautiful artwork.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by pritam »

Incredibly nice, thanks for sharing ;)
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Yeah, as of now, he needs graphics/sound artists, and translators... But he doesn't want to deal with any of that until he has the coding portion of it done.