Console performance

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Console performance

Post by Falco Girgis »

trufun202 wrote:What about the poor consoles that time forgot? Those systems still hold a special place in my heart...

- TurboGrafx-16 - This was a badass little system. 16-bit graphics and sound that blew away NES and SMS at the time. However, a few years passed, and it couldn't hold a candle to SNES and Genesis.

- 3DO - This console was ahead of it's time. The "Panasonic R.E.A.L. 3DO" was marketed as more than just a video game console, it was an "entertainment system". They released games, movies, and interactive videos. Capable of full-screen full motion video and 3D texture mapped graphics, this system ran circles around all other home consoles at the time. I'd put this above SNES / Sega CD and below PS1.

- Atari Jaguar - /sigh, the console with perhaps the worst rap in history. Yes, if you follow Atari's math, it was indeed a 64-bit machine, but it sure didn't look like it... Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Jaguar - there are some absolute classic games only available on this console - but, the hardware is weak. It could handle 2D graphics at blazing speeds, but 3D games were on the rise, and applying a texture map to a polygon brought the Jaguar to it's knees. In terms of performance, I'd put this above the SNES and below 3DO.
Thank you very much. I was thinking about adding some other consoles to this list too.

You know these kids are youngsters when mainstream consoles like the Master System, Genesis and Saturn were left out (and CD, 32x to a lesser extent). They labeled "Dreamcast" as "Sega Dreamcast" as if the Sega was something extremely special... Sega was also a hardware manufacturer. Oooh, those were the days...
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Bakkon »

I really miss the days when console flame wars on message boards involved Nintendo vs Sega.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

GyroVorbis wrote:You know these kids are youngsters when mainstream consoles like the Master System, Genesis and Saturn were left out (and CD, 32x to a lesser extent). They labeled "Dreamcast" as "Sega Dreamcast" as if the Sega was something extremely special... Sega was also a hardware manufacturer. Oooh, those were the days...
And before that, they were "SErvice GAmes"! ;) (That was way before my time, but it's still a fun fact.)
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Sanshin77
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: C++/SDL engine, zaActionWizardMagic game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 2, Nintendo DS, mac and PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Sanshin77 »

Sanshin77 wrote:1. PS3
2. X360
3. Wii
4. Xbox
5. Gamecube
6. Sega Dreamcast
7. PS2
8. PSP
9. N64
10. Nintendo DS
11. Playstation (1)
12. GameBoy Advance
13. Sega CD
14. 3DO
15. Atari Jaguar
16. Super NES
17. Sega Genesis
18. GameBoy Color
19. TurboGrafx-16
20. Sega Master System
21. Nintendo Entertainment System ( NES )
22. GameBoy

Edit: Original list updated 28/09 - 2009
Consoles added: Sega CD, 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Sega Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Sega Master system

Please correct me if I misplaced a console
Im lucky if I didn't do a mistake around 12-20, so if you could correct me, please do so! And I need advice on where to put the saturn...
Check out videos of my C++ games as well as my "Amateur Game Dev" series over at
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zanchill