PS3 VS Xbox 360

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: PS3 VS Xbox 360

Post by davidthefat »

JaxDragon wrote:
davidthefat wrote:
JaxDragon wrote:[offtopic] Why is it that all of the console wars posts, on any forum, simply disregard the Wii? It IS the most popular console after all. And it doesnt have all crapware either, there are some pretty good games on it.[/offtopic]

EDIT: Plus the PS3's no region protection means we can play all imports ^^.
Ok, Wii is not even considered part of the race, its like the gamecube with motion thing, not really next gen...

and I got a Jap ps3, cant play US DVDs... so no ps2 games for me....
I meant blu ray games have no region protection. I didn't think anyone still had a ps3 with backwards compatibility.
I got the launch ps3 CECHA00 no YLOD for me ;)
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Bakkon »

davidthefat wrote: Ok, Wii is not even considered part of the race, its like the gamecube with motion thing, not really next gen...
You don't truly believe this, do you?
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

Bakkon wrote:
davidthefat wrote:Ok, Wii is not even considered part of the race, its like the gamecube with motion thing, not really next gen...
Actually, that's pretty accurate. While it may be "next-gen" chronologically, many developers don't consider it so. It's far and away the most limited console of the three, and not just graphically (though that is a big limitation these days). A gimmicky motion sensor was substituted in for things like enhanced processing power, robust online play/communication, and downloadable content. Nintendo has admitted to not caring much about online support, basically because they can get away with not caring very much. And while I can respect trying something new, it has to be implemented well or it's useless (I'm looking at you, Sixaxis).

Furthermore, it's definitely not part of the console race, because it's on a whole different demographic. If you don't currently want a Wii, chances are nothing that comes out for it will make you change your mind. The same can't be said for 360 and PS3, no matter which you prefer.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Bakkon wrote:
davidthefat wrote: Ok, Wii is not even considered part of the race, its like the gamecube with motion thing, not really next gen...
I completely believe it. If you don't believe it, you might want to have a better look at the specs. Hardware-wise, it's a Gamecube++.
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Bakkon »

GyroVorbis wrote:
Bakkon wrote:
I completely believe it. If you don't believe it, you might want to have a better look at the specs. Hardware-wise, it's a Gamecube++.
I wasn't arguing that it's not a buffed up Gamecube, but that it's part of the console race. It's currently the highest selling console, has introduced a lot of new people to videogames, and has inspired devices by its competition, the Six-Axis and Project Natal.
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef

Post by Netwatcher »

The Wii is more like a box with a nice gimmick then a "next-gen console", and that's what the Wii is, a gimmick, that's what people find interesting about it and that's why it is succeeding in the market(the part of it where you actually have to move instead of staring at the screen and mashing buttons), it is not a "next-gen consoles" as the XBox360 and the PS3 , it's just a previous-gen with a motion stick as a controller :|
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Why all the hate on the Wii? Surely many of you can appreciate gameplay/innovation over graphics? While the Wii certainly does not have the extensive library of great games that the 360 has, Nintendo has managed to release several that make the Wii worthwhile. To name a few...

-LOZ: Twilight Princess
-SSB: Brawl
-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
-Wii Sports Resort
-Super Paper Mario
-Punch Out!
-No More Heroes

Not to mention the re-releases that are arguably better than the originals...

-Resident Evil 4
-Metroid Prime Trilogy

Of all of the development companies, I would say that Nintendo holds the best standing (in my experiences) for meeting expectations on their triple-A games. Regardless of how powerful their console is, they continue to release extremely entertaining games that don't need exploding heads and rocket launchers to hold a gamer's interest(although that certainly is nice from time to time). While the infrared controls are not necessary in every game, they improve certain aspects of many titles that have been released. Also, the design of the controller does not make it any less comfortable to use than the 360 or PS3.

I for one was glad that I could get my hands on a Wii back in 2006 for only $249.99. The limitations of the hardware allowed Nintendo to grant me an amazing bargain on the console, and I feel that I have suffered no loss in the quality of their games.

On a side note, two games I would really like to see would be a new Kid Icarus (Nintendo kind of owes it to us after placing Pit in SSB:Brawl) and a new Donkey Kong Country.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

hurstshifter wrote:Why all the hate on the Wii? Surely many of you can appreciate gameplay/innovation over graphics? While the Wii certainly does not have the extensive library of great games that the 360 has, Nintendo has managed to release several that make the Wii worthwhile. To name a few...

-LOZ: Twilight Princess
-SSB: Brawl
-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
-Wii Sports Resort
-Super Paper Mario
-Punch Out!
-No More Heroes

Not to mention the re-releases that are arguably better than the originals...

-Resident Evil 4
-Metroid Prime Trilogy

Of all of the development companies, I would say that Nintendo holds the best standing (in my experiences) for meeting expectations on their triple-A games. Regardless of how powerful their console is, they continue to release extremely entertaining games that don't need exploding heads and rocket launchers to hold a gamer's interest(although that certainly is nice from time to time). While the infrared controls are not necessary in every game, they improve certain aspects of many titles that have been released. Also, the design of the controller does not make it any less comfortable to use than the 360 or PS3.

I for one was glad that I could get my hands on a Wii back in 2006 for only $249.99. The limitations of the hardware allowed Nintendo to grant me an amazing bargain on the console, and I feel that I have suffered no loss in the quality of their games.

On a side note, two games I would really like to see would be a new Kid Icarus (Nintendo kind of owes it to us after placing Pit in SSB:Brawl) and a new Donkey Kong Country.
I agree Nintendo has a great franchise,but they are like child hood memories... I mean Nintendo has to grow up now, go hang with the big boys with the hardware
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Bakkon »

davidthefat wrote:I agree Nintendo has a great franchise,but they are like child hood memories... I mean Nintendo has to grow up now, go hang with the big boys with the hardware
Yeah, Nintendo makes good games, but they're not using top of the line hardware, so it negates all positive factors about their company. Image