PS3 VS Xbox 360

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: PS3 VS Xbox 360

Post by Netwatcher »

aamesxdavid wrote:Ah, yes I see the confusion of acronyms there: XDK just stands for Xbox Development Kit. Easily confused with XNA, and then they have NXE for their dashboard update.. they just love three-letter acronyms. It's a dev kit like any other, Sony just doesn't seem as up on the snappy names.

As for language, well, the standard in all game development at the moment is C++, but it's certainly not a requirement. It's worth noting that it's really just a PC (as is every console), and language is more dependent on the engine you're using.

And the funny thing is, that although it sounds the coolest, XNA doesn't stand for anything, they just thought of a cool name to go with their new product (You can find the interview where they say that somewhere on Youtube)...
Last edited by Netwatcher on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Because the better the specs the better the graphics and bigger the worlds, meaning the better to get out of your real life with :lol:
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

Netwatcher wrote:
aamesxdavid wrote:Ah, yes I see the confusion of acronyms there: XDK just stands for Xbox Development Kit. Easily confused with XNA, and then they have NXE for their dashboard update.. they just love three-letter acronyms. It's a dev kit like any other, Sony just doesn't seem as up on the snappy names.

As for language, well, the standard in all game development at the moment is C++, but it's certainly not a requirement. It's worth noting that it's really just a PC (as is every console), and language is more dependent on the engine you're using.

And the funny thing is, that although it sounds the coolest, XNA doesn't stand for anything, they just thought of a cool name to go with their new product (You can find the interview where they say that somewhere on Youtube)...
I think they are trying for sony's HDNA (HD in the core type of thing) and XNA (Xbox to the core) IDK, just my theory
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Netwatcher wrote:

I think its just a play on words with DNA (the building blocks of life). XNA (the building blocks of Xbox games). Seems appropriate. Although I really have no idea for sure.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Pickzell »

I thought XDK was only for the original X-Box, plus if XDK was for 360, wouldn't all X-Box games be playable on the 360?
And to answer that one question that I'm too lazy to quote, yes only pro devvers can get XDK, everyone else has to use OpenXDK, or else you're breaking the law.
I'm an altogether bad-natured Cupid.
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Netwatcher »

hurstshifter wrote:
Netwatcher wrote:

I think its just a play on words with DNA (the building blocks of life). XNA (the building blocks of Xbox games). Seems appropriate. Although I really have no idea for sure.
X.N.A.
Break it down ;D
X-
Because everything Microsoft has to have an X in it(see Xbox, DirectX, Windows XP, NXE)
N -
Next generation(???)
A -
Architecture...
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."

aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

Pickzell wrote:plus if XDK was for 360, wouldn't all X-Box games be playable on the 360?
Well, that's a bit like saying if you write a program on Windows 95, it should work on a Vista machine. The combination of hardware and software updates (not to mention Microsoft's notorious fumbling with compatibility) far from ensures backwards compatibility. Just because it has the same name doesn't make it completely equivalent. Besides, 360DK just doesn't sound right.

Though gordon did point out that Microsoft isn't always particularly clever with naming things, I was really only talking about the gaming portion of Microsoft's work, which I'm sure is due to the fact that gaming is seen more as a kid-market.
Joeyotrevor
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Joeyotrevor »

I think the official acronym for XNA is XNA's Not Acronymed.

Yep it is http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/xna/aa937793.aspx.

Code: Select all

eb 0c 48 65 6c 6c 6f 20 77 6f 72 6c 64 21 31 d2 8e c2 30 ff b3 0a bd 02 7c b9 0b 00 b8 00 13 cd 10 eb fe
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Netwatcher »

yes, I know, I was just trying to figure out what it might hold a reference to.
Last edited by Netwatcher on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Joeyotrevor wrote:I think the official acronym for XNA is XNA's Not Acronymed.

Yep it is http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/xna/aa937793.aspx.
And I'm not being sarcastic when I say, that's not an oxymoron at all.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC

Post by JaxDragon »

Yet another microsoft mind trick.
zNelson24
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: School assignments.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C#, BASIC

Post by zNelson24 »

Console warz discussion is a pain in the ass, but here it goes...

I like my Xbox 360, and I havent really used a PS3 much so I cant really say if its better or worse. There are games I would like to play that are exclusive to the PS3. I just wish PS3 fanboys would get off saying how much "awsomer" PSN is just cause its free (ya cheap bastards).

What I dont like about the PS3 is its inconsistant SKUs. Its a bothersome problem when buying console, one that I see will creep up towards the Xbox 360 oh too soon.
-zNelson24

JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by JaxDragon »

[offtopic] Why is it that all of the console wars posts, on any forum, simply disregard the Wii? It IS the most popular console after all. And it doesnt have all crapware either, there are some pretty good games on it.[/offtopic]

Another thing that made me buy a PS3 over a 360 is the cost of peripherals. Hard drives for them are darn expensive. As are headsets. And my friend said his headset broke in about a month. Plus you have to buy batteries(or rechargable batteries).

But the 360 does have a larger playerbase, so I guess maybe theres always a game to join. On the orange box on PS3, TF2 usually never has a full match.

Also, PS3 is the last to get things such as games, patches(for games), and just support in general. Valve pretty much screwed us PS3 owners over. Wheres our left 4 dead or left for dead 2? :*(

But I love the PS3's expansion slots(not sure if newer models have them). And its pretty much my DVD/BluRay collection for pirated films.

EDIT: Plus the PS3's no region protection means we can play all imports ^^.
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

JaxDragon wrote:[offtopic] Why is it that all of the console wars posts, on any forum, simply disregard the Wii? It IS the most popular console after all. And it doesnt have all crapware either, there are some pretty good games on it.[/offtopic]

Ok, Wii is not even considered part of the race, its like the gamecube with motion thing, not really next gen...

and I got a Jap ps3, cant play US DVDs... so no ps2 games for me....
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by JaxDragon »

davidthefat wrote:
JaxDragon wrote:[offtopic] Why is it that all of the console wars posts, on any forum, simply disregard the Wii? It IS the most popular console after all. And it doesnt have all crapware either, there are some pretty good games on it.[/offtopic]

Ok, Wii is not even considered part of the race, its like the gamecube with motion thing, not really next gen...

and I got a Jap ps3, cant play US DVDs... so no ps2 games for me....
I meant blu ray games have no region protection. I didn't think anyone still had a ps3 with backwards compatibility.