Final Fantasy XI Online

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Final Fantasy XI Online

Post by aamesxdavid »

So I just revisited the old linkshell site, and I thought anyone who has played the game might get a kick out of it.

http://jenovaswitness.joekellyaudio.com ... /ffxi-old/

It's being revamped for our RoM guild, but I wanted to keep the FFXI stuff somewhere, because it's too awesome to delete.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Final Fantasy XI Online

Post by hurstshifter »

Alrighty, so after about 2 weeks of playing FFXI now, I'd have to say I am thoroughly impressed. Despite how dated the game is (I think 8 years old now???) it still holds up compared to most modern MMOs. There are many flaws that I find to be quite annoying such as the fast travel system(warping), the vast landscapes that are seemingly endless and empty, the poor menu system, and a few others that I can't seem to think of right now. But, I was able to look past all of this, and now I am enjoying what is currently my favorite MMO. This game truly challenges you. Once you get past level 10, partying becomes almost a requirement for most classes, and even then you need to work together to make sure everyone comes out alive. The job system (which is probably my favorite of all combat systems) is implemented very well. Each job has its pros & cons, and classes complement each other very well in parties. Unlike WoW, I feel that I am truly rewarded each and every time I gain a level as the increase in stats seems quite noticable (not to mention you generally have to work pretty hard for it). The real kicker of course is the fact that I absolutely love the stories in (most) Final Fantasy games. FFXI is no exception. You are forced to watch cutscenes here and there which generally aren't much longer than 30-40 seconds, and I feel that this really helps to enforce the tale that is being told without completely shoving it down your throat (as some RPGs do with 15-20 minute cinematics). WoW (at least when I used to play) had none of this, which really encouraged me to pay no attention to the story whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, I love warcraft I-II-III. I just couldn't get into WoW.

Final point...IMHO... FFXI > WoW
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com