Buying a 2nd console... PS2 vs NDSLite

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Sanshin77
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: C++/SDL engine, zaActionWizardMagic game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 2, Nintendo DS, mac and PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Buying a 2nd console... PS2 vs NDSLite

Post by Sanshin77 »

I had a PS2 earlier and traded it in for a 360, Im not regretting it, but for the sake of good and cheap games (RPG's mostly) Ive considered buying a PS2 again, or a Nintendo DS Lite.I don't want a DSi, coz its more expensive and doesnt play my GBA games...

I love the final fantasy games and the remakes of FF3 and 4 is the main reason i consider a DS, but at the same time I kinda want to play through FFXII, as well as other RPG Franchises(Typo?) on the PS2. What do you guys think?

Oh and if anyone here own a PS2 slim Id like to know if you've had any problems with it, is the performance better/worse than the original PS2? How about heating issues? its too bad you cant stack it tho...
Check out videos of my C++ games as well as my "Amateur Game Dev" series over at
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zanchill
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Buying a 2nd console... PS2 vs NDSLite

Post by dandymcgee »

Sanshin77 wrote: Oh and if anyone here own a PS2 slim Id like to know if you've had any problems with it, is the performance better/worse than the original PS2? How about heating issues? its too bad you cant stack it tho...
I have a slim, and I've played it for about 6-8 hours straight before with no heating issues, it just gets slightly warm. Not sure about much longer than that. As far as performance I don't really have anything to go off of. The only downside is if you're into modding or homebrew the newer revision slims are way harder to do anything with than the original fatties. Overall mine has worked fine for me.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Starting an Android app soon
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1, N64

Post by rolland »

I have a slim, and I can honestly say I've never had a single problem with it. On the other hand, like dandymcgee said, it sucks for homebrew/modding. A DS could be called a homebrewer's dream once you get the required hardware. Random Note: I'm currently working on a top secret project for the DS.
I'll write a signature once I get some creativity and inspiration...
Sanshin77
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Sanshin77 »

Can the newest PS2 Slims play original Playstation games like FFVII and VIII ?
Check out videos of my C++ games as well as my "Amateur Game Dev" series over at
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Read my post here http://elysianshadows.com/phpBB3/viewto ... =15#p41496 for
reasons why I would strongly suggest picking up a PS2. Although the NDS is truly the best handheld in
existence. Do yourself a favor; if you pick up the NDS, grab an R4 revolution for homebrew stuff.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

I think the decision is made easier by one simple fact: these are two completely opposing console types.

The PS2 has a lot more games - and a lot more great ones. What it isn't, is pocket-sized.

The NDS is a handheld with a healthy amount of good games.

Which is more important? Personally, I'd take the PS2. I have a NDS, and since I finished Professor Layton, I don't use it all that much. The FF3 remake is good, but I consider most of the PS2 RPGs I've played to be better. Not to mention the PS1 RPGs. You'll have a much better selection.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Sanshin77 wrote:Can the newest PS2 Slims play original Playstation games like FFVII and VIII ?
AFAIK PS2's in general work with all PS1 games (I haven't found any that don't work yet, but then again I don't own many games). The only problem which really sucks with playing PS1 games on a PS2 (at least the slim version) is that most of them aren't able to detect and save to a PS2 memory card. I'm not sure if using a PS1 memory card in your PS2 would solve this, as I don't have a PS1 memory card handy right now.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

dandymcgee wrote:
Sanshin77 wrote:Can the newest PS2 Slims play original Playstation games like FFVII and VIII ?
AFAIK PS2's in general work with all PS1 games (I haven't found any that don't work yet, but then again I don't own many games). The only problem which really sucks with playing PS1 games on a PS2 (at least the slim version) is that most of them aren't able to detect and save to a PS2 memory card. I'm not sure if using a PS1 memory card in your PS2 would solve this, as I don't have a PS1 memory card handy right now.

Lol, you solved your own problem. You can not save a ps1 game on a ps2 memory card. The ps2 supports ps1 memory cards so do yourself a favor and find one on ebay for 5 bucks. Well worth it with the amazing library of games ps1 had.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

dandymcgee wrote:The only problem which really sucks with playing PS1 games on a PS2 (at least the slim version) is that most of them aren't able to detect and save to a PS2 memory card.
That's how every PS2 has always been. PS1 games need PS1 memory cards.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

hurstshifter wrote: Lol, you solved your own problem. You can not save a ps1 game on a ps2 memory card. The ps2 supports ps1 memory cards so do yourself a favor and find one on ebay for 5 bucks. Well worth it with the amazing library of games ps1 had.
I was pretty sure that was why it didn't work, but like I said I couldn't test it and didn't want to state false facts. Since I only own 2 PS1 games and don't really ever play them I don't think I'll be buying a memory card any time soon. Although I'm going to Florida to visit family this summer, and I'm pretty sure they still have a PS1 and some memory cards so I might "borrow" one.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII

Post by Moosader »

The only PS1 game I haven't been able to get to work on my PS2/PS2 slim (have had both) is Digimon World 1. :P

I had a slim but traded my ex for my old big one because I backup my ps2 games, and prerendered cutscenes are really choppy and slow via usb cable.

I guess I get less play out of my DS than my PS2, so I'd probably go with that if you don't mind not being able to take it on the go. Tons more games. I think they're the exact same price, actually, for a new DS lite & PS2 slim.
Sanshin77
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Sanshin77 »

Moosader wrote:The only PS1 game I haven't been able to get to work on my PS2/PS2 slim (have had both) is Digimon World 1. :P
I loved the first digimon world game, maybe the first game that got me addicted, I thought it was pretty hard though, cuz I was around 8yrs old lol.

I think I'll go for a PS2 then, lots of 5-20dollar games at the gamestop online store, what's the best solution to get a PS2 hooked up to a VGA monitor(and preferably some sound device aswell) ?
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

I've probably played every one of my ps1 games on my ps2 with no problems sans one game: Final Fantasy V. This game came with the Final Fantasy Anthologies collection for ps1 and has known issues with the ps2. It was definitely rare so you may never see it but once or twice I ran into lockups when the menu was opened.