I dream in retro. FINISHED

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

I dream in retro. FINISHED

Post by OrinCreed »

UPDATE:

ALL DONE! I put it on youtube but it looks like ass... anyone know how to keep youtube from rape compressing your movies?

Flash version can be found here. http://darktwist.deviantart.com/art/I-d ... -123553362

Youtube version. not as good quality wise but still watchable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERzNf9Pz ... annel_page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wasn't sure where to put this topic but it is related to gaming so why not here. This incidentally has swallowed my life.

Ok, a quick explanation of he idea. About a year back I had a really odd dream where I was in several old video games moving from level to level, game to game. The levels and everything were exactly as they should be but my sprite never quite fit in with the world [for example a bionic commando type sprite in contra] and I was using weapons and power ups from different games. Also the music for each level was wrong, shuffled and mixed from other games. It wasn't complete mayhem though. Despite my bending the rules everything still played out exactly as a game from the time would have.

I decided I wanted to make this dream into an animation, and after a few major set backs I'm very close to finishing it. Even so there is still a lot of work to do. Unlike other flash sprite animations that go for the "WOW" factor and do all kinds of crazy cool shit I'm trying to make it like my dream. That means everything has to behave exactly as it would in the game I'm emulating. This is not easy to do with frame animation and the occasional tween. However I don't know anything about action scripting so I'll take the long road.

Enough talk. Without giving anything away I just wanted to post a few screen caps.

Intro done in the style of little nemo for the NES

Lvl 1 Contra [NES] I'm afraid this scene will make the others less interesting....
ImageImage

Lvl 2 Mrs. Pacman. [Genesis]This one was pretty fun. It's a little slow but what can you really do with pacman?

Lvl 3 Balloon Fight [NES] Has a faster pace then I expected, perhaps to fast...

The final scene takes place in Mario 3 [SNES remake] and leads up to a boss fight that might be a little anticlimactic. If anyone is actually interested in this sort of thing let me know and I will try to post updates as I generate new animation.
Last edited by OrinCreed on Mon May 25, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Re: I dream in retro. Flash animation

Post by OrinCreed »

Two muddy screen shots of sprites I'm using. I just redid the Link/Mike sprites to match LoZ:aLttP and recently made more BlasterMaster/Mike sprites. I'll post more later.

Me as a Sega Genesis MegaMan sprite
Image It's a little slower than the actual animation will be.

Me as a Bionic Commando sprite
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I've seen you post on this dream thing before, but didn't know you were doing a flash animation of it. Seems interesting. I wonder, if you made the intro scene realistic, how that would play out?
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

MarauderIIC wrote:I've seen you post on this dream thing before, but didn't know you were doing a flash animation of it. Seems interesting. I wonder, if you made the intro scene realistic, how that would play out?
Not sure if it's the same concept your thinking of but I have a brief openeing scene that is real footage of me. Just a short clip of me playing games then realizing how late it is and heading to bed. Thats when the little nemo intro pops up.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Yeah prettymuch
Last edited by MarauderIIC on Wed May 06, 2009 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: see sig
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

Hopefully the live action scene will work and not feel out of place. I'm seriously tempted to show off some clips but I don't want to give anything away.

I'm not entirely sure if people will enjoy the finished animation, but I'm ok with that since I'm mostly doing it for myself. If I do my job right most people will think I just captured footage of games and overlaid my own sprites. That or hacked a ROM.

It's mostly a test I’ve set for myself I suppose. I've gone to obsessive compulsive lengths to match game behaviors, animations and speed as closely as I can. There are a few things I just can't get right but they are close enough.
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

Finally finished the balloon fight scene and I've started work on the Mario 3 level. This is the last stage I have to work on. After that it's cleaning up, adding score, creating credits and putting it all together.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

This looks really cool, I can't wait to see it in person.
There's no place like ~/
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

LeonBlade wrote:This looks really cool, I can't wait to see it in person.
Thanks. I've been thinking about posting some "less boring" images, but I don't want to give much away.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

OrinCreed wrote:
Thanks. I've been thinking about posting some "less boring" images, but I don't want to give much away.
Hey Orin... we're here for you... no matter what... ;) ... oh yeah I need sleep...
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

eatcomics wrote:
OrinCreed wrote:
Hey Orin... we're here for you... no matter what... ;) ... oh yeah I need sleep...
Sleep? Who sleeps any more when you can just....zzzzzzzz. Honestly I haven't had a decent night’s sleep in longer than I can remember.

This project is taking longer than I had thought it would. It’s mostly my fault for being so damn anal with the details though. Hopefully scene 4 and the boss fight that follows wont drag out very long since they are fairly simple compared to the other scenes. The credits roll I have in mind should be pretty easy to cobble together once I have the main animation finished. As for the live action intro it has been filmed but not edited.

I'm starting scene 4 tonight but I'm still hunting down ideas for 16 bit game power ups/weapons to use while riding a fish under water.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

areyoudoneyetareyoudoneyetareyoudoneyetareyoudoneyet
:)
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

dude... i should totally make a flash game... of your flash video... :D that would be amazing
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

MarauderIIC wrote:areyoudoneyetareyoudoneyetareyoudoneyetareyoudoneyet
:)
I actually set myself back a bit lol. Every time I think the level will be easy to recreate it bites me right in the ass. That and I'm being WAAAAAAAAAAY to damn picky about emulating the games appearance. Hope it's worth the obsessing.
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

MadPumpkin wrote:dude... i should totally make a flash game... of your flash video... :D that would be amazing
That would be pretty funny. :) Fun too I think, but I'm biased.