PS3 VS Xbox 360

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

PS3 VS Xbox 360

PS3
42%
Xbox 360
38%
Other
19%

Total votes: 26

Terranova3y2
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Re: PS3 VS Xbox 360

Post by Terranova3y2 »

I've got both and I like both equally really

PS3 Pro's: Bluray. Web browser, Linux, Free Online gaming
PS3 Con's: Very little exclusive games, expensive to buy

Xbox 360 Pro's: More exclusive games/content, easier to communicate via in-game chat, Cheaper
Xbox 350 Con's: RROD, E74, paid subscriptions, no web browser

Even with that I enjoy games across both consoles and I'd rather die than attempt to play any kind of fighting game with the 360 controller.

Both have their merits and I was lucky enough to be able to afford both of them.
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

This is just so I can rip on LeonBlade for being - and I really don't use this term without justification - a hopeless PS3 fanboy.
LeonBlade wrote:At a hardware standpoint, PS3 is better than the 360.
I assume you're referring to its oh-so-amazing processing power. Please tell me what it has been used for other than graphics (which you have also listed below, and trust me, I'll get to that). If nothing, then the extra power is useless, besides making it more expensive.

The only other thing this might refer to is the embarrassingly unintuitive sixaxis controller, which is akin to iPhone games using the tilt sensor to control a character - that is: fucking stupid. I guess it's fine if you really like that sort of thing, but simply stating that the hardware is better because you can tilt the controller that you're already using to control the game to control other parts of the game is a very unqualified statement.
LeonBlade wrote:At a multimedia standpoint, PS3 is better than the 360.
Another fanboy favourite: BLU RAY!!!!11 Or as I like to call it: proof that Sony rides the "we can't think of anything new so just pump steroids into current technology". If you don't have a 50+-inch 1080p television, 7.1 surround sound, and all the highest-end cabling to use with it, you don't need Blu-Ray. Hell, even then it's arguable. It's simply a glorified DVD, just with smaller tracks to pack more information on - making it less reliable (more prone to scratching), so that an extra protective coating was required, making it more costly to manufacture. Meanwhile actually useful technology like solid-state goes unused, presumably because they couldn't think of a cute name for it.

Oh yeah, and I guess we're completely ignoring things like Netflix integration here, which takes your monthly subscription to all the movies you want, and streams them at any time on your console, thus avoiding shipping of DVDs and wait times. Comparing it to the PS3, I'd have to say it must not count because A) actual thought was put into its design and implementation, and B) it's only DVD-QUALITY.
LeonBlade wrote:At a reliability standpoint, PS3 is better than the 360.
This is how predictable PS3 fanboys are. You can only be talking about the RROD, which is like a Christian winning the lottery and using it as proof God exists. I've never had this problem, and guess what, I work in a game studio of over 300 people, almost all of them have 360s, and I've never heard of one person this has happened to. So it can't be THAT common. The only person I know of at all who has had this problem got his 360 in the first couple of months they were out, so I'd be willing to bet it was largely an early problem that isn't half the plague that PS3 fanboys make it out to be. And you know what, plenty of people have problems with their PS3s, but you don't want to hear about it, so you just say that it's more reliable.
LeonBlade wrote:At a price standpoint, PS3 is better than the 360.
Okay, this one I don't get at all; the PS3 is more expensive than the 360, what exactly is your definition of "price standpoint"? Are you talking about value? If you are, then it's basically a summation of all of your other points, which I am chipping away at with little effort because you're either misguided, stupid, or willfully ignorant.
LeonBlade wrote:At a graphical standpoint, PS3 is better than the 360.
It's about time we got here. Is this the enormous difference between graphics you're talking about?: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6201700/index.html
If that makes the difference between you buying one console or another, then you should probably dive under a tractor - and film it in 1080p.

Let's talk about the logistics here for a second. Most companies make games for at least 2 consoles. They are not going to make all new assets for a game because one console can draw a few more pixels-per-inch. At best you're looking at the exact same character models rendered in ever-so-slightly higher resolution. I guess you deserve a medal and the ability to endlessly spout your nonsensical arguments all over the internet for that.
LeonBlade wrote:At an online standpoint, PS3 is better than the 360.
Another one I just don't get at all. Maybe you have to belong to several PS3 fanboy sites to make this untrue, but I know over 4 times as many people with 360s than PS3s, so it has a stronger community. Most of the people I know that do have a PS3 still use their 360 for online games. Sony made "Home" to compete with Xbox's NXE, but the only use for it I've seen is to make your avatar a hot girl to lure in creepy fat gamer nerds, only to instantly turn your avatar back into a creepy fat gamer nerd and gross the other creepy fat gamer nerds out. Thanks, I'll stick to NXE. The only thing left is downloadable content, which I've never seen in favour of PS3, unless you count the absurd number of LBP user-made levels - and even then, as I said before, all you're doing is running a beanie baby across a different arrangement of platforms, which hardly qualifies as extending gameplay.

And compare making a level in a physics game to creating a complete game with XNA that can actually be released to the public, and possibly even make you a few bucks. Sure you need a Creator's Club subscription, but at $100 for an entire year, you really can't complain. And that's only if you want to release your game; XNA Game Studio is free. Try buying a PS3 dev kit. Seriously, go try it.
LeonBlade wrote:At an "OMG I just spent so much money on this console and all these accessories for a load of crap which will quickly die out and become outdated in the very near future" standpoint, 360 wins there...
This was just an overtly stupid drooling fanboy rant with no possible justification whatsoever, so I'll just move on to my conclusion.

It's worth noting that none of your arguments were about games. You quote specs and prices, make vague references to "multimedia" and "online standpoint", but never once did gameplay come up, and I find that very telling of you people. So let's just get one thing out in the open here: unless you're a hopeless tech spec nerd who needs to see everything in 1920 x 1080 anti-aliased progressive scan video before they can get it up, a higher resolution does not make a game more fun. If anything, all it does is distract you from the atrociously small time spent on things like controls, storyline, and actual gameplay because they were too busy making the graphics full HD for you whiny losers. Which may explain why PS3 fanboy rants come out like rabid dogs endlessly shouting the same shit over and over - they're never required to think about their console. Just throw a shiny nicely-textured object at them and they're happy.

As a conclusion to my conclusion: I couldn't really give a shit about what console you prefer; they certainly all have their strengths and weaknesses. Just play your fucking console and be happy, don't try to justify your purchase with half-baked arguments and quoting numbers that have absolutely nothing to do with playing video games. No, my console is not a web browser (I have a computer for that), it doesn't play Blu Ray movies (I have real life if I need to see things in higher-than-DVD definition). My refrigerator also doesn't do my dishes but you don't see me bitching. No, my console simply plays fucking video games. That's what it's for, kids. And it's good at that. End of story.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Amen to that brother.... Ugh, I would have both if I could afford it, but I can't, and I didn't even have enough for a PS3... Really both will be bought by different people, as long as the company is making money to get the new stuff out, and the games coming out are good, and give us something to do, who freaking cares???
Bludklok
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: EnigmaCore
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, N64, Playstation1, Playstation2
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Bludklok »

Id had to say the 360 for now just because of the bigger game selection.
Youtube
Website
Current project: Enigma Core
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I'mma gonna stick my vote out for the NES... who's with me???
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

eatcomics wrote:I'mma gonna stick my vote out for the NES... who's with me???
Hell Yes. (If the only other choices are PS3 and 360 :P)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I'm fairly certain that aames just opened up a can of anal rape on Leon. That was pretty amazing.

The only criterium that I base my console judgement on is games. That's why I like my Dreamcast and Super Nintendo the best. That's why I still play/love my PS2 more than my Xbox 360.
Mr. Achie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Basic 2d game engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Playstation 1
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Java

Post by Mr. Achie »

The only problem I have with the 360 are..
- the DVD disk. 15 GB is a little bit low for a next gen console. In the future, most games like GTA wouldnt even fit on a 15 GB DVD. Even though the Xbox360 has a Harddrive, the Xbox360 Arcade not. So that's a complete failure; to buy a console without harddrive and later, you find out that the games dont even fit on a DVD and you must have a HDD.
- And probably the hardware failures (but I think they are fixed right?)

The PS3 is great, I would love to see lot's of games that bring out all of the Cell processor. 40 GB Harddrive + 50 GB (right?) = lots GB then the 360. Can't wait for a GTA exclusive titel.

Sorry for my horrible English BTW! :)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Mr. Achie wrote:The only problem I have with the 360 are..
- the DVD disk. 15 GB is a little bit low for a next gen console. In the future, most games like GTA wouldnt even fit on a 15 GB DVD. Even though the Xbox360 has a Harddrive, the Xbox360 Arcade not. So that's a complete failure; to buy a console without harddrive and later, you find out that the games dont even fit on a DVD and you must have a HDD.
- And probably the hardware failures (but I think they are fixed right?)

The PS3 is great, I would love to see lot's of games that bring out all of the Cell processor. 40 GB Harddrive + 50 GB (right?) = lots GB then the 360. Can't wait for a GTA exclusive titel.

Sorry for my horrible English BTW! :)
My xbox has 120 gigs XD I think that's more than 90!
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

Exactly (well , I can't talk, my 360 only has 20 gigs)

Back to the Blu-Ray point, I must say, I LOVE BLU-RAY!

Why do you say?, because it's making DVDs freakin cheap in comparison!

All of the CD shops are selling some great DVDs at bargain basement prices, so my collection is literally flourishing, and guess what, I have no problem at all playing them on my Xbox360 :lol:

Me and my friend had a bit of a talk about why people are so fussed about getting blu rays, and... well it wouldn't be appropriate to say what conclusion we came to 8-)

As for games and processing power etc, I'm one of those types of people that enjoy games that are fun to play, i'm not looking for High Definition graphics and all those bells and whistles (although you certainly have that option on the 360) I want my games to play at the right speed (I.e. no delays, fast load times,no crashes etc), and for them to be fun to play and control, therefore I have no quarrels at all with my Xbox, the controller is comfortable, the games are fun, and the provision of demos and old arcade games are the main reasons why I wouldn't trade my xbox in for any of the two other major consoles...

...although I do wish the xbox had a browser goddarnit!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

In my opinion, the worst part about 360 is DVD by far. There were multiple disc DVDs in the previous generation. I would like to know how in fuck's name Microsoft thought DVD media would be adequate for this generation.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

I think they were counting on people buying HD-DVD players...

That's one thing that really annoys me about Microsoft, and the Xbox, everything is an extra that you have to pay for at an additional cost, even that damn Wireless Adapter! (I couldn't use my live subscription for a year because I would have had to fork out £60 to buy one of those, when the other two consoles have built-in wireless!)

I guess when it comes to games, the more storage to play a around with, the better, you can't argue that Blu-Ray isn't practical for that by any measure, it's almost the same scenario as when the PS2 and Xbox games came with extra content on DVD than the GameCube with its Dinky little discs, but I guess at least nintendo did something about that in the next generation (to some degree at least, although they still are using DVDs)
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

programmerinprogress wrote:I think they were counting on people buying HD-DVD players...

That's one thing that really annoys me about Microsoft, and the Xbox, everything is an extra that you have to pay for at an additional cost, even that damn Wireless Adapter! (I couldn't use my live subscription for a year because I would have had to fork out £60 to buy one of those, when the other two consoles have built-in wireless!)

I guess when it comes to games, the more storage to play a around with, the better, you can't argue that Blu-Ray isn't practical for that by any measure, it's almost the same scenario as when the PS2 and Xbox games came with extra content on DVD than the GameCube with its Dinky little discs, but I guess at least nintendo did something about that in the next generation (to some degree at least, although they still are using DVDs)
I hook my xbox up through my laptop, no $120 wireless adapter needed!
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I have my xbox wired to my wireless router which is next to the tv!
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I actually bought a linkSys adapter that connects through the ethernet port and has an antennae that allows your wired thingy to go wireless. Very nifty, very glad that I made that purchase.

It's reserved for my Dreamcast and 360 (and Peter when he comes over to dev. The dipshit's computer doesn't have a wireless card).